Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 169, 170, 171 ... 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
GrandMaster wrote:
such an obvious play for the young adult audience.

lol I don't think so. Have you seen Requiem For A Dream and The Wrestler?

From a marketing standpoint, where they try to target the 18-25 year-olds (which is how I'm defining young adult), mentioning Emma Watson in the trailer is a ploy directed right at that audience.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Based on that literal definition of young adult, sure. As C. said, Black Swan would also fall into that group. The movies that I mentioned I think skew toward an older audience, in particular The Wrestler which was starring a middle aged cast. Requiem just contained graphic material and themes that put it into a hard R, or even NC17 rating for the uncut version. The director's other films Pi and The Fountain were not graphic, but were also R rated and dealt with mature themes and starred an older adult and middle aged cast.

Typically when referring to Young Adult in literature they are talking about material geared toward highschool aged people and the films seldom rate above a PG13. In particular books/films like Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hunger Games.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Typically when referring to Young Adult in literature they are talking about material geared toward highschool aged people and the films seldom rate above a PG13. In particular books/films like Harry Potter, Twilight and The Hunger Games.

I would say YA Lit. goes even lower than high school age down to middle school. HP was classified as Children's although I think starting with Goblet of Fire, the books trended up to the YA level.

@Grandmaster -- I also think by saying they're using Emma Watson to draw in the YA crowd, it's like saying she has to confine herself and isn't allowed to grow as an actress or allowed to be in movies that are adult in content/message.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cerrinea wrote:
@Grandmaster -- I also think by saying they're using Emma Watson to draw in the YA crowd, it's like saying she has to confine herself and isn't allowed to grow as an actress or allowed to be in movies that are adult in content/message.

I don't think she has to confine herself at all - I just think that the marketing people want to keep using her to draw Harry Potter fans, in the same way that, say, Nathan Fillion is used to draw Firefly fans. I definitely want her to do movies with more adult content, but for now at least, the people making movie trailers and posters are going to push her more to the forefront in order to maximize sales.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just got back from Catching Fire!

I don't know if I've ever seen a more literal adaptation, even down to the dialogue. I really have no complaints from an adaptation, other than Johanna's antagonism towards Katniss being toned down. Really good movie and great adaptation. Jennifer Lawrence was amazing as always. The last scene with Cinna broke my heart though. Sad I was worried about Francis Lawrence, but I had nothing to worry about out and I'm excited to see what he'll do with Mockingjay.

I seem to be in the minority here, but I think I still like the first movie better. I liked how it felt more personal and relatively small-scale. I didn't expect Catching Fire to follow suit since the book does the whole "bigger and better" thing. Spectacle is an important idea in these stories after all and I understand that. It's just a personal preference. I also missed the film techniques Gary Ross used like the sound design (e.g. ears ringing, roaring audience) and, yes, the shaky cam.

After these movies nailing the story as they did, I almost feel ready to forget about the books (which is an odd statement coming from me!). The movies have all that is best about the books, some extra good stuff the books didn't have, and don't have the unnecessary stuff, awkward writing etc. We'll see what they do with Mockingjay.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Double piece of news concerning both Disney and Paramount:

Jerry Bruckheimer is moving to Paramount, and a deal has been reached between Paramount and Disney to allow the Mouse to release any future Indiana Jones films.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:37 am Reply with quote  

So I watched a trailer for Jurassic Park 4 which turned out to be a fake, but they used clips from a movie called The Hunter, so I decided to watch it. Turns out, it was really good.

It stars Willem Dafoe and features Sam Niell. Dafoe is a hunter who isn't afraid to go outside the boundaries of the law. He takes a job to hunt down and kill what might be the last of the Tasmanian Tigers in order to get complete DNA samples for some research company. So he heads to Tasmania and begins his hunt.

The story, however, takes some interesting turns. At first it's kind of a funny look at him having a really bad day. The location he gets sent to in Tasmania presents difficulties. The house he stays at has no working electricity. The locals are unfriendly to outsiders. And then there are the people who live in the house he's staying at. It's a widow and two kids. The kids are spunky and follow him around.

The acting and the characters in the film are superb. There are some beautiful shots of the forests and landscapes. The film does a lot to invoke the scenery of the location. It's a tale of an introspective man with questionable morals who finds himself alone out in the wilds of Tasmania as he hunts for something that might not even exists. He runs into troubles, and after every 12 days, he heads back to the house for supplies and deals with the kids and the widow. As time passes, he begins to adapt to the situation. He begins to like the family. He begins to questions what he's doing.

It's a rather emotional story and very well done. I highly recommend checking it out.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Recently watched Rise of the Guardians and Battleship. The former was great.

The latter ... not so much. I didn't even bother to finish it, and it's very rare that I don't watch movies all the way through.

Warning: mini rant follows.

How in the world could Alex Hopper have gotten into the Navy when he was already 26 and had been arrested to boot, make Leiutenant by the time he was 33 and still having discipline issues, and then be promoted to Lt. Commander at the end of the film (though, if you look carefully at his shoulder boards when he walks up to recieve Stone's Navy Cross, the boards show the insignia of a full Lt., not a Lt. Commander)?

For that matter, Stone Hopper, if I'm not mistaken, shouldn't have been the CO of a destroyer, but rather an XO, considering his rank. I feel the film was either poorly researched when it came to how the US Navy actually functions, or else the writers and director deliberately ignored that in favor of plot. I know other military films have done stuff like this, but Battleship seems to be the worst.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thought Battleship was a fun piece of fluff, and I enjoyed it. Also Liam Neeson. Since the Navy doesn't actually fight aliens, I'm not too fussed about any other wrong details that really didn't make any difference to a fluff, brain candy movie.

Now if it's an actual real history movie involving the Navy, I'd probably be annoyed at stuff that should be correct but isn't.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 3:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I saw The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug at midnight on Friday. It was a pretty good movie, though book purists beware - certain liberties are taken with the story, but I liked them. This one was much better paced than the first one, so while it is still 2 and 1/2 hours, it doesn't feel very long.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Interstellar teaser! Very Happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nyc6RJEEe0U

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah, we've reached time to discuss the new film. Very well then, here I go...

WARNING! This will contain spoilers for not only this film, but the next one due to the fact that I read the book. If you haven't beware, I'm going to reveal several things to lend context to my views on parts of this film.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

For those who don't open the spoiler box I'll go ahead and post something basic here.

The bare bones of The Hobbit are there, but its fan fiction at this point. If you're a purist you'll hate this, if you're looking for consistency or more character work than we got in the first film you might like parts of it, but if you're a casual film-goer who is looking for a popcorn flick this will be a fun way to kill a Saturday afternoon. Its not a great film, its not a bad film, its watchable.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I've yet to see The Hobbit, but did anyone see Frozen? Being a Disney buff, I adored it.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So they kinda tried to work in the Nim storyline from Simalrillian?
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
So they kinda tried to work in the Nim storyline from Simalrillian?

Nah, not really. Nim is just a location where nothing like what they did in the film happened (its also a wonderful story about mice if anyone has read that).

Its not The Hobbit anymore, its just an action film. There's a hobbit and some dwarves and elves and even a dragon, but it only goes with the basic bones while adding padding.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 170 of 186