Halt of EU books for Ep7 and new timeline?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well crap. I was looking forward to SotJ, Darth Henning got me all hyped for it as he pitched a really good way it could help cap the EU.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry Caedus.

Then you probably don't want to hear my plot outline for how EP VII could actually be written to fit within the EU while allowing writers complete and utter freedom. Thus allowing a very enjoyable ST without (significant) restriction and the EU to continue as is.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm disappointed, but not in the least surprised.

I still do wonder if that re-write of the Episode VII script had something to do with accommodating the EU though...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:18 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Hey everyone,

I’m not overly concerned about the future of the EU. I see the streamlining of the continuity under the Story Group as a good thing for the future of Star Wars. Going forward we’ll never have to worry about stories, or a part there of, contradicting other books, or part of books...in theory anyways. The big question of what happens to the current EU is something we’ll have to wait on. Hopefully the powers to be will work it in such a way that many of the books we’ve come to love will be incorporated into the new EU. And if they’re not then we’ve had a good ride thus far and can only hope that things will be good going forward. But that’s my take on it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think it says a lot about this fandom that so many people draw a meaningful distinction between half the EU being scrapped, and all of it being scrapped.

"Yeah, they cut half of it for reasons so flimsy people keep contending it was unnecessary, but we will totally keep taking the other half as seriously as we always have afterwards".

Oh, and Skywalker, I advice you to temper your expectations for the Story Group. There is a reason the current EU stands to be erased, Lucas or no Lucas, and that reason won't change for a new EU under the Story Group. Hell, for all practical intents and purposes, we were supposed to have a "One continuity across the board" for over a decade now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I used to care about continuity a lot more before Fate of the Jedi. Legacy comics was better and it as already been pretty much rendered non canon without Episode VII having anything to do with it. That and the TCW mucking everything up.

I think on some level we all stuck to a fanon of good stories are in and bad stories are ignored. Now it's not so much worry for what will and what won't be canon, but a question of if future stories are going to be good if they get rid of all the stuff that we like now.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^I liked the Legacy comics, but I think they were too close in the timeline to where the novels were at. It would be difficult to keep the novels from contradicting the comics without stifling the authors' creativity. Legacy just should have been later, then continuity would be less of an issue.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

GrandMaster wrote:
^I liked the Legacy comics, but I think they were too close in the timeline to where the novels were at. It would be difficult to keep the novels from contradicting the comics without stifling the authors' creativity. Legacy just should have been later, then continuity would be less of an issue.

I've been saying that since Legacy was first announced and described. There was no reason to put it so close to the timeline the books were in.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just taking a stroll through Wookieepedia and found this: Christie Golden stated on her Twitter a few weeks ago that Sword of the Jedi is on hold until the Story Group decides what to do - which is somewhat encouraging, because it means it hasn't been canceled yet.

https://twitter.com/ChristieGolden/statuses/426512458472103936

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 2:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The fact that there is a Story Group is encouraging. DarthMRN is right in saying that, at least for a good while, "one continuity across the board" was the ideal. I think the big difference is that the idea for the Story Group came from Kathleen Kennedy, so the idea of one continuity is coming from the top down. Kennedy's predecessor, George Lucas, as we all know, wasn't as concerned with continuity. That could make a huge difference.

The possibility of much or all of the Expanded Universe being scrapped is upsetting to me, but it's not as if Disney swooped down and ruined my paradise. I had plenty of problems with continuity when Lucas was in charge, well before Disney ever showed up. Heck, I was about to give up on my fandom when Disney's acquisition was announced. The Expanded Universe, continuity etc. had a bad setup from the start. This may be a blessing in disguise.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Reepicheep wrote:
The fact that there is a Story Group is encouraging. DarthMRN is right in saying that, at least for a good while, "one continuity across the board" was the ideal. I think the big difference is that the idea for the Story Group came from Kathleen Kennedy, so the idea of one continuity is coming from the top down. Kennedy's predecessor, George Lucas, as we all know, wasn't as concerned with continuity. That could make a huge difference.

The possibility of much or all of the Expanded Universe being scrapped is upsetting to me, but it's not as if Disney swooped down and ruined my paradise. I had plenty of problems with continuity when Lucas was in charge, well before Disney ever showed up. Heck, I was about to give up on my fandom when Disney's acquisition was announced. The Expanded Universe, continuity etc. had a bad setup from the start. This may be a blessing in disguise.

Unfortunately we will lose some, maybe all, of the current books in EU, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they, or some, are great books. I for one will continue to read the books that are in the current EU because I want to, at least as long as I can find them. Even if they're not in canon they're at least good stories that I can read and lose myself in.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

AdmiralSteven wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

Unfortunately we will lose some, maybe all, of the current books in EU, but that doesn't take away from the fact that they, or some, are great books. I for one will continue to read the books that are in the current EU because I want to, at least as long as I can find them. Even if they're not in canon they're at least good stories that I can read and lose myself in.

THIS. All of this. I hate the idea that the fact that the book never "happened" means it stops being good.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
AdmiralSteven wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

THIS. All of this. I hate the idea that the fact that the book never "happened" means it stops being good.

Still frustrating. To have it be the way things are and only have it become "a good story" is kind of hard after years of building around these good stories we love.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:53 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Caedus_16 wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
AdmiralSteven wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:

Still frustrating. To have it be the way things are and only have it become "a good story" is kind of hard after years of building around these good stories we love.

Taral: I understand where you're coming from, but from listening to the way some people talk you'd think that the moment some or all of the current EU is rendered non-canon all the books suddenly suck. Whether they've been rendered non-canon or not, they are still good stories, some at least. We all know there are books that aren't all that good.

Caedus: I agree.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

AdmiralSteven wrote:

Taral: I understand where you're coming from, but from listening to the way some people talk you'd think that the moment some or all of the current EU is rendered non-canon all the books suddenly suck. Whether they've been rendered non-canon or not, they are still good stories, some at least. We all know there are books that aren't all that good.

Dude, I fully agree with you. My entire point was that the books remain good, despite their canon status being revoked (and that some remain bad all the same).

I apologize if I wasn't clear in my opinion.

We face this in Marvel/DC comics all the time. Books fall out of continuity for any number of reasons, or characters change tremendously over time, sometimes seeming to be completely different people from 20 years ago vs. now. Many origins have been re-written, making whole eras out of continuity (there were REALLY good Thor and Iron Man stories where they fought in Vietnam, but those characters' origins have moved forward in time, so they can't have happened during that conflict. But I love those old stories nevertheless.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 6