The Continuity Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 67, 68, 69 ... 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
More like realized there's no stopping this downward spiral, Reep. Wink

That said, its a bit sad to see Star Wars sliding to this level. I get the feeling that Pablo is kind of starting not to care so much about how Star Wars as a whole maintained a pretty good continuity over the last 30+ years, and the EU is being dismissed, to quote Darth Henning's term over on TF.N, "fluff."

Much though I love taking credit, I have to admit I was quoting a guy who works for Fantasy Flight Games who said that's all the EU was. Which is not an encouraging comment.

(PS. Alan, what name do you go by over on TFN?)

Alan Skywalker V wrote:

And this leaves me torn. I want to see the new movies in theaters like I did with AOTC and ROTS. I was excited for them. At the same time, however, I spent several years (until my parents put their foot down) buying EU material, material that I wanted to finish someday since I'm still missing many of the books, all of the comics, and a bunch of other stuff.

But now I'm beginning to think, "Why should I care? What is it really worth anyway if the new films and Rebels are going to set a cavalier attitude toward continuity and no more material for EU 1.0 will be produced ( though admittedly, the latter would give me a chance to catch up on everything)?"

Honestly, if the ST doesn't follow the EU (at least to the end of Vision of TUF) then I will not be going to see the movies or supporting the franchise either.

Or should I say, if I do watch or read, it won't involve any financial outlay.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 10:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
Honestly, if the ST doesn't follow the EU (at least to the end of Vision of TUF) then I will not be going to see the movies or supporting the franchise either.

Or should I say, if I do watch or read, it won't involve any financial outlay.

I've seriously considered boycotting Episode VII if the EU is ditched. I'm not going to shout it off rooftops, because there's a high possibility my determination will dissolve the second a new Star Wars movie is in theatres, but... I've considered it.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:11 pm Reply with quote  

I laugh at your willpower...because mine is non-existent. They could do an animated Gungan love fest and I'd still buy a ticket to go see it. So no matter what they do, I'm seeing Episode VII. The only difference will be my reactions afterwards.

"OH MY GOD! THAT WAS SO AWESOME! I don't even care that Thrawn was a girl name Lorili and was Leia and Lando's kid and was a troubled, adolescent Jedi who skirted the dark side to defeat WARU!"

or

"J.J. Abrams just failed harder than the Phantom Menace. Jar Jar looks magnificent next to this."

It could go lots of ways Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The problem I have is that if any of the fans go see it and say "oh man that was terrible" afterwards, they've still spent money on the ticket and Disney won't care if people are complaining up the ying-yang online, if its a financial success, they'll just keep following that formula.

If it flops at the box office due to fan disinterest because they take the wrong direction (admittedly a subjective opinion) then we have a chance of them re-doing things better.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Or worse, in the case of The Phantom Menace, they hated it, but went to see the sequels anyway.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

To be fair though, the PT did improve with each movie.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I imagine I will see Episode VII at least three times even if it sucks. I'm actually looking forward to it, though, and the initial anticipation for it re-kindled my fandom of the existing films.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is why we can't have nice things Razz

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
To be fair though, the PT did improve with each movie.

Your mileage may vary. To me, Episode III was the worst of the six movies.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:51 am Reply with quote  

I think that's the first time I've heard that opinion. Anything specific that turned you off from the film?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I think that's the first time I've heard that opinion. Anything specific that turned you off from the film?

This is going to sound really strange, but I felt that the movie seemed not like a story, but like a re-enactment of events that everyone already knew.

Like, they knew where they started (there were Clone Wars, Anakin and Padmé are married). And they knew where they needed to end (Anakin as Vader, Palpatine as Emperor, Republic as Empire, Luke and Leia born and secreted away, Yoda and Obi-Wan in exile). Some things were obviously up in the air (what happens at the end of the Clone Wars, how does it all go down, what ultimately happens to Padmé, etc.) But the overall story was set in stone well before Lucas even started writing the script.

So it played out less like "fun movie!" and more like "semi-fun historical re-enactment, as we teach the youth of the New Republic what happened in the last days of the Clone Wars".

This is one of the reasons I'm looking forward to Episode VII and beyond. Completely uncharted territory. They are not bound to anything, and can write anything.

Also, some of it was really campy. Now, I like camp. I love camp, even. But it has its place. I don't need R2 being silly or the jokes between Anakin and Obi-Wan or the "UNLIMITED POWAH!" or "No No No YOU WILL DIE!" or the strange faces Palpatine makes during his fight with Yoda. I don't need the "NOOOOOO!" (though I love the "NOOOOOO!"). These are fun, but not appropriate for something so dark.

Also: it looked entirely fake. Because it was entirely fake. The art of making a movie on a set with objects and people is being lost to making movies in front of screens with eye-markers. Episode III (along with the Special Editions of the OT) look more dated than some of the better VFX of the OT theatrical releases, because in the 70s and 80s artists took time to build sets and models with extreme detail, that CGI can never hope to reproduce and stay fresh.

That said, when I say "least favourite", it's still like a 7/10.

I know these are really weird criticisms to make, which is why I say to each their own. But like I said, it felt weird and fake and unfunny and I didn't like it nearly as much as the others.

For the record, my movie order (starting with best) is 5-4-2-6-1-3.

When I have kids, the order I will have them watch Star Wars in is 4-5-1-2-3-6.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

Remember this thread? ROTS vs. TPM

At least three people think that, the other two specifically being SV and myself.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 9:09 am Reply with quote  

Nope, didn't remember that thread.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's odd. I re-watched the entire saga again about 2 months ago because I got the blu-rays, and I found that I enjoyed RotS the most.

If I ever have kids though, I'm not sure what order I'd have them watch it in. I'd like to do flashback order like Taral suggested, but I don't know if I'd want to let my hypothetical 4 year old see the graphic scenes in RotS... Confused

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Jedi Joe wrote:
That's odd. I re-watched the entire saga again about 2 months ago because I got the blu-rays, and I found that I enjoyed RotS the most.

If I ever have kids though, I'm not sure what order I'd have them watch it in. I'd like to do flashback order like Taral suggested, but I don't know if I'd want to let my hypothetical 4 year old see the graphic scenes in RotS... Confused

I've sort of resolved that I'm going to show them in release order. The OT I find is more powerful (especially Vader) if you don't have that background information. Especially the family reveals. And I think that surprise is something that shouldn't be lost by viewing the prequels first.

That of course, is just my opinion.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 68 of 74