Relationships (or lack thereof)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Cool. Thanks, guys.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:20 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

That's why you should always take an action. People hate being alone and find partners quickly

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I got a message from someone I don't really know that well. It said, "You probably don't remember me, but I've always respected you for your values. When your grandpa died my heart went out to you. I just wanted to say that I care about you, and if you should ever need someone or something, or just someone to talk to, I would be there for you."

This person is saying that they are in love with me, right? I don't know how to respond. What would you do if you got a message like this?
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Do you like this person? If yes, then I would go for it. If not... no idea.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

One important detail to clarify: how long ago did your grandfather die?

If recently (ish), then perhaps she's just reaching out because of a shared trauma and she wants you to know she's there.

If long ago, then yea that's pretty out of the blue.

The phrase "in love with me" is a bit much. If you haven't seen her in forever then it might be a bit too much to assume that her feelings constitute "love". Stick with the term "interest" for now and see where it goes.

PS: My apologies if my pronouns are all wrong. It is difficult making assumptions through the veil of internet anonymity, and re-reading your message didn't clarify matters any.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Thanks for the replies. I have an idea, but I'd like to hear if anyone else has any more input before making my decision.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 12:38 pm Reply with quote  

Yeah, without more input, I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that she's in love with you. Could just be she's reaching out from a purely nurturing standpoint. No way of knowing until you talk to her. So the question is whether you want to talk to her and see what's up.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm sorry guys, I lied to you. Unfortunately no one loves me. I was trying to conduct a social experiment to prove a hypothesis that people do not react well to random gestures of devotion. I tried to think of the most sincere sounding, emotionally gripping, and least demanding message that I could come up with, because I felt like that would garner the most genuine responses.

It seems that just confused the motivation, and since you are all nice people you would try to help someone if you thought they needed it. Good to know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Fiendish Walker!

Wink
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Haha!

So what were you expecting us to say? Or did you think we would just ignore you?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

No, I wasn't trying to troll you or trick you or anything like that. I was just wondering what you would say. My feeling was that someone would be put off from receiving a message like that. I can't really say how I personally would react, because I know that I made that up.

Generally speaking, to summarize my hypothesis : If you received a message from someone whom you weren't really in communication with, expressing a desire to communicate with you, and expressing a strong emotional connection to you... that you would not really want to communicate further with this person.

Since you thought this was about me personally, you wanted to assess my feelings and situation in order to advise me on how to respond to that. I think we can take that from the other side though. The reason you might feel uncomfortable is because you would need to further assess that persons feelings, which you don't know because you don't really know them.

Basically, it's a response to the advice that the best approach for a relationship is to be totally up front about your intentions. But what I'm saying, is that this is a bad way to go about expressing yourself to someone that you don't know very well, because you won't be able to adequately get your intentions across that way because that person has no basis to gauge their own feelings in reaction to yours.

In short, if you want to tell someone you are interested in them, you should get to know them first. That might seem very obvious, but again, this was in response to the widely held notion that you should state your intentions BEFORE getting to know someone because it's supposedly better to keep them from having a preconceived notion about you.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote  

This is the second social experiment I've been involved in on this site. It's starting to become a common thing.

Just an FYI, if in the future at some point I post somewhere that I'm dating a Hutt, I expect positive responses from all you people and healthy encouragement in my relationship.

It will totally not be a social experiment to see if any of you care. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:22 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Can you just go ahead and implant some diodes in your brain for us? That would save a lot of trouble, thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

That seems fairly unlikely, Skuls, that you'd be dating a Hutt. An Ewok, on the other hand, I could well believe. And I entirely support your decision Smile .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

No, no, no, Skuls is clearly a Jawa man.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 13 of 14