The tragic tale of how LucasArts fell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
The tragic tale of how LucasArts fell
 PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:27 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You guys read this article yet?

Pretty interesting stuff. And ever more ammo against GL in this time of bashers. It actually makes a case for EA being a better overlord for SW games than LucasFilm was. Kriffing EA, the devil of game development, seem like an upgrade as far as SW games go. Shocked

PS: Don't miss the ex-LA employee in the comment field at the bottom.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

EA has long been horrid, and I'm also rather disgusted with Gearbox. I'm to the point where I have only 2K that I love with all my heart...

And GL didn't need more ammo against him, but I guess we'll add it to the cache.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:56 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

After reading that I don't actually lay much blame at all at Lucas. Of course he doesn't know the game development cycle, neither does likely 90% of the people on this forum. He never worked for a game company and when he was likely to have been somewhat hands on, the cycle was far less complicated. As the article said, in his chosen field changes could be made relatively easy, even late into production. Of course that's going to influence his view in other areas. And really, out of all creative endeavors, in only makes a serious impact in games. Books, comics, art, movies, TV shows all can be changed with only minor set backs.

It sounds to me that the higher ups at LucasArts and LucasFilm allowed him just the information they wanted him to hear. Enough for him to get psyched up about a project but not much of the meat and potatoes. The employees even said that they were told exactly what they could say to him in meetings. I've never been in a meeting where that happened. Sure there were times when certain topics were off limits, but never to the extent that was suggested here. I doubt he was ever completely informed on how much his requested changes would disrupt the process.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:55 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Personally, I have some issue with an article completely based on unnamed sources. I'm not saying that it's all made-up, but it is certainly a lot harder to believe when there is nothing to back up these statements.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:34 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Werehunter wrote:
It sounds to me that the higher ups at LucasArts and LucasFilm allowed him just the information they wanted him to hear. Enough for him to get psyched up about a project but not much of the meat and potatoes. The employees even said that they were told exactly what they could say to him in meetings. I've never been in a meeting where that happened. Sure there were times when certain topics were off limits, but never to the extent that was suggested here. I doubt he was ever completely informed on how much his requested changes would disrupt the process.

It also mentions the examples having been made of other people having dared say no to him in the past. In any case, no way Lucas isn't to blame for a corporate culture where higher-ups actively sabotage their own underlings when in dialogue with him. Anything faulty about that system were within his power to change.

GrandMaster wrote:
Personally, I have some issue with an article completely based on unnamed sources. I'm not saying that it's all made-up, but it is certainly a lot harder to believe when there is nothing to back up these statements.

Nothing wrong with healthy skepticism. However, in that case a serious question of motive crops up. Without identification, they stand to gain nothing personally from it. And if all they want is to stick it to Lucas, they need a reason for that, which being a disgruntled ex-employee fits nicely.

It also fits the bigger picture very well, as far as I am informed. The Secret History of Star Wars isn't shy about Lucas being a harsh boss. LucasArts having a revolving door of CEOs is no secret either, and that alone is going to mean trouble for the direction of the company. Too few people daring say no to GL is also a criticism that has been circulating for years, and one has to ask why a lot of stuff hasn't been different if he welcomes well-meaning disagreement, as opposed to discourage it.

If there is falsehood or unreliability anywhere, the article writers are the most suspicious ones, IMO. We only have their word for the interviewees being ex-LA employees. Kotaku is one of the biggest game magazines on the net, though, for whatever that is worth. There is also the corroboration by Jeffrey Gullett in the comments, as I said. Unless that is fake too.

Personally I can only doubt this in a strict scientific manner, false until definitely proven otherwise. Odds are it's true, however. It just fits too nicely.
I also really want to believe that the artist part of LA knows how SW fans feel about the company, and genuinely wanted to convert us by doing better.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:52 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

^Yeah, I had never read an article from Kotaku before, so I had no idea if it was a good site or not. I'm also currently a political science major in college, so I have a lot of skepticism with just about any article I read these days.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 5:02 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I completely agree to what GrandMaster is saying. It is quiet difficult to trust all the things given in article.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:50 pm Reply with quote  

AlixSunny wrote:
I completely agree to what GrandMaster is saying. It is quiet difficult to trust all the things given in article.

Indeed.

That being said it was interesting how they left out barely supporting their games, if at all, post launch with bug fixes and the like. I eventually stopped playing Battlefront II because some bugs (like the upgraded sniper rifle that couldn't head shot enemies in turrets) just got too frustrating to deal with.

I can't honestly say I'm surprised LA closed. Even if the goal posts hadn't been changing all the time thanks to Lucas I think LA would've eventually closed due to not supporting the games they made. I honestly was pretty appalled how EA, for all their many faults, seemed to do a better job supporting their games with bug patches than LA did. Now such poor quality control is a result of bad management (witness the legal scandal surrounding Battlefield 4) but honestly I think releasing a game with bugs and then not doing a very good job to fix them post launch is equally bad to changing the goal posts during the development stage.

Page 1 of 1