Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (comic)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir (comic)
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote  

Newsarama has announced that Dark Horse Comics will be telling a four part Star Wars: The Clone Wars comic based on television scripts for the show. The new series will be out in May and will be written by Jeremy Barlow.

Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir

Click here to check out Newsarama's announcement plus their interview with Jeremy Barlow.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Last edited by Darth Skuldren on Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:49 pm; edited 3 times in total

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

ITs since been clarified that this is not adapting the finale of the show itself, just the finale of Darth Maul's appearances in the show. So we should get some closure on what his final fate is.

Im not overly excited, but I'm glad we're getting closure.

Hopefully this will have time to be collected in a TPB before December.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth_Henning wrote:
ITs since been clarified that this is not adapting the finale of the show itself, just the finale of Darth Maul's appearances in the show. So we should get some closure on what his final fate is.

Im not overly excited, but I'm glad we're getting closure.

Hopefully this will have time to be collected in a TPB before December.

It ought to. This is four parts, right? May-June-July-August. TPB by October or November. Maybe event a The Clone Wars omnibus by 31 December? (I may hope too far).
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I completely loved what the Clone Wars did with Maul. Bringing him back was risky, but Maul went from a cool pawn character, to a deep, driven, twisted truly evil being. This is the best news to come out of the SW house since the sale

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

1337Jedi wrote:
I completely loved what the Clone Wars did with Maul. Bringing him back was risky, but Maul went from a cool pawn character, to a deep, driven, twisted truly evil being. This is the best news to come out of the SW house since the sale

I still don't think bringing him back was a good idea, but its a bad idea that has been well executed. Reminds me of Superior Spider-Man, its just a god-awful idea that has been done with care so that even though you hate it you can't help but enjoy it. Its by far the best thing that came out of the show.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote  

Cover art for 'Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #2' (of 4)

With his Shadow Collective army stalled, Darth Maul calls on Mother Talzin for help and is sent reinforcements—the deadly Nightbrothers! Maul is ready again to take on the Separatist droid army, Count Dooku, and General Grievous—in a trio of simultaneous battles!
• Adapted from un-aired episodes of The Clone Wars TV show!

Writer: Jeremy Barlow
Penciller: Juan Frigeri
Inker: Mauro Vargas
Colorist: Wes Dzioba
Cover Artist: Chris Scalf

Release Date: June 18
Details: FC, 40 pages, $3.50

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:14 pm Reply with quote  

Dave Filoni had some interesting comments on this comic...

Quote:
Talzin, obviously, her story isn't finished at all. So I'm excited that we have the crossover with the comics coming, working off our scripts from Dark Horse, that get a bit more into the whole Darth Maul story that she's much more connected to than this. But I did feel that it was an opportunity to show that there is a need from her to have a connection to the Force. So the big question I think, as an audience, is you come out of that with, "Why?" Well, ultimately in Star Wars we know that evil always wants power, and power means control. But what does she want that particular power for and why, and how does she know so much about it? So these are all questions that we get into quite a bit. I think in the Dark Horse comic you'll see some of those threads come to light a bit.

IGN: Since you opened that door, I'll jump ahead for a second and ask about that comic. Obviously that was a storyline that was going to be on the show. Now, I know the word "canon" and what is and what isn’t becomes a controversial thing, a big deal, with Star Wars fans, but do you consider that comic book to be “official”, in that it was the story you guys were going to be telling on The Clone Wars?

Filoni: Yeah, absolutely. We wrote the scripts. They were fully realized, and my art department had handled the entire arc before we obviously stopped producing episodes. So all the information's there, and we had a good collaboration working here with Lucasfilm to get those stories visually looking like the Clone Wars as far as what we had designed, what we had intended for the characters. So I have a little bit of an eye on that stuff, as far as making sure that it's delivering the story that we wanted. It's a completely different medium, so it will be different to see the telling of the story. But I think overall it's pretty exciting. It's turning out really great. I've seen the covers, and they look great. I don't know how much more I can say, but yeah, I don't see why not. It's always hard to say. Like you said, with comic books, I definitely reference a lot of them throughout the series, and novels as well.

Dave also went on to talk about how he and George treat the EU...

Quote:
My approach has always been to utilize the Expanded Universe as basically a base of ideas. That was very much how George used it. He would see things like Aayla Secura or Quinlan Vos, and he would say, "Oh, that's neat. Let's use that," but he would never really use them quite in the way that the comic books told the story. So I think that that's completely fair, being the person that had created Star Wars, to go like, "Well, I like that idea, but this is how I would tell the story." That's not too different when you see that sometimes Percival and Galahad are very similar questing knights, and sometimes they're different; they have different names with different spellings. Good stories and storytelling often branch out and have multiple stories. But as you know, a lot of my life for the last 10 years has been discussing that with fans who love the EU, and I don't mind at all. I think the key for me is I never would subtract and tell them that, "Hey, you can't like those stories." If you love those stories, they count for you, and I think that that's great. Who am I? I'm lucky enough to make this show, but I try to give a nod where I can to things I know people will like.

Source: IGN
http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/03/18/star-wars-the-clone-wars-dave-filoni-looks-back-at-season-6-and-the-shows-final-episodes?page=3

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quote  

Cover art for issue #3.

Quote:
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #3 (of 4)

Darth Maul has captured Darth Sidious’s new apprentice! Mother Talzin and Maul attempt to sway Count Dooku to their cause, revealing surprising facts about Maul’s past. But an attack by an elite Jedi strike force throws everyone’s plans into chaos!

Writer: Jeremy Barlow
Artist: Juan Frigeri
Inker: Mauro Vargas
Colorist: Wes Dzioba
Cover Artist: Chris Scalf

Release Date: July 16
Details: FC, 40 pages, $3.50

• Based on unaired episodes of the television series The Clone Wars!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I'm confused...I've been out of the loop for awhile, but did the purchase by Disney end the show? Confused

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Yes. Cartoon Network is owned by Time Warner. I'm surprised that there wasn't a way to transfer TCW over to Disney though. It's a shame.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1