2014: Last Year of Star Wars with Dark Horse Comics
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:09 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Quote:
Especially that "EU" material sold about 6B to the movie's 8B (some of which came from TCW's DVD sales).

not exactly. You have to keep in mind that a decent chunk of that video game sales come from games based directly on the movies. I'd chalk that up more to be added to the movie total than the EU total for there's not much EU material in a decent amount of it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Werehunter wrote:
Quote:
Especially that "EU" material sold about 6B to the movie's 8B (some of which came from TCW's DVD sales).

not exactly. You have to keep in mind that a decent chunk of that video game sales come from games based directly on the movies. I'd chalk that up more to be added to the movie total than the EU total for there's not much EU material in a decent amount of it.

Portions yes, but the most profitable Star Wars game by itself was KOTOR which has little to nothing to do with the movies.

Its hard to find sales data for any others unfortunately, but regardless, by definition, the video games, even if they are based closely on the movie, are as much EU as Shadows of the Empire or Splinter of the Mind's Eye

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:48 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Be that as it may, tie-in games to movies are not indicative of EU interest, which is what he is ultimately contesting.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
Be that as it may, tie-in games to movies are not indicative of EU interest, which is what he is ultimately contesting.

And this started as a discussion of how important hardcore fans are to the bottom line. A video game is probably more appealing to casual moviegoers than a novel, so that segment of the profits is not contingent on hardcore fans. And even the book sales include stuff like the "learning how to read" books, so that's not even completely indicative of EU interest either.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Without any stats, I would assume the most profitable games, at least in the past decade, are TFU and KOTOR/TOR, EU titles, not games that are movie tie ins. Unless you count LEGO SW but that's a slight different issue as it's a two company merger.

This is all OT. So far we have got three contrasting quotes about DH SW back catalog. That's something I'd like to get to the bottom of.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:29 am Reply with quote  

Quote:
The Walt Disney Company's Lucasfilm Ltd. and Marvel Entertainment are joining forces to bring new Star Wars adventures to readers across the galaxy, with Marvel granted exclusive rights to create and publish Star Wars comics and graphic novels beginning in 2015.

Source: StarWars.com

Quote:
Matt is correct. The license for all Star Wars comics -- past and present -- transfers to Marvel as of 2015. Dark Horse has a short time after that date to sell off any existing inventory and, of course, any stock purchased by retailers could conceivably sit on store shelves for decades after that (until it is sold).

Obviously, Dark Horse does not plan on having any remaining inventory after the end of the license, so in the coming year as existing stocks of various Star Wars titles are sold out, it is unlikely that they will be reprinted.

At this point there is no way of knowing what Marvel's plans are (if any) for reprinting any Dark Horse material, or what form those reprints might take.

Source: Randy Stradley on Dark Horse Comics Forum

Quote:
When asked whether it would retain its publishing rights to its backlist and keep re-issuing previous material or if Marvel would be absorbing its backlist, Dark Horse stated “All rights go to Marvel.” Dark Horse has said that Star Wars Comics purchased before 2015 on Dark Horse Digital will remain on its cloud afterward, but print copies of existing material will not continue. Marvel hasn’t announced any of its publishing plans yet and declined early comment, so its still unknown if they’ll pursue collecting seminal works like The Dark Empire Trilogy or even its own previous 114(ish) issue series that was published between 1977 and 1986 (which, of course, Dark Horse recollected during its time with the license).

As to whether there are any plans for Marvel to continue stories started at Dark Horse, the publisher could only say, “We have no idea.” ComicsAlliance also asked Marvel, which wasn’t able to provide comment yet.

Source: Comics Alliance

Quote:
There is no way for me to know what plans Marvel has, or whether they will continue telling stories with characters we created. As I said in my post, my suspicion is the focus of the license will be to support the new films rather than exploring our loose ends.

Source: Randy Stradley Facebook comment

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That clears it up... almost.

Marvel has said that they haven't decided if they will reprint DH comics, which if course they wouldn't have since they are making plans for their own new series first...But they almost certainly will at some point, otherwise it was a waste for them to acquire the right to that material. So that's good news, depending on if you want to give money to Marvel for comics that are already available by Dark Horse.

I don't understand the line about dark horse comics staying on the shelves for decades though. Why would they? People are probably going to be buying them even more if they think that means Marvel won't be reprinting them.

Oh, now I get it. That was a quote by a Dark Horse guy which was just his way of saying you will still be able to go to a comics store and buy DH Star Wars comics. *cough*insteadofthemarvelcrap*cough*

I don't really see MU continuing any current DH series, but you never know. It's not like it would be the first or tenth time a comic series changed staff and publishers.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote  

New interview with Mike Richardson and Scott Allie on CBR talking about the Marvel Star Wars news and Dark Horse's plans for 2014.

Quote:
We've also got a series that will launch this year that I think will be a fan favorite, and there are some special projects coming out as well.

Quote:
Allie: But because of the advanced notice we had, Brian Wood is going to be able to wrap what he's been doing in "Star Wars." And Gabriel [Hardman] and Corinna [Bechko] are going to wrap up what they're doing in "Legacy."

Richardson: All the stories we started are going to be finished, but we're not going to go back and wrap with "Dark Empire Finale" or anything like that.

Allie: I feel like we're ending on a really high note between Brian's work and "The Star Wars" and this book with Matt Kindt. It feel like a lot of the best Star Wars comics we've ever done.

Source: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=50203

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 10:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Too bad they aren't going to do a "supersized Empire's End" as their final release or something. I think that would have been amazing to see to bring things full circle.

But I'd have settled for getting "The Reenlistment of Baron Fel" finally, even if it was just a TPB and not omnibussed with the other X-wing stuff.

Still, whatever they put out I'll be buying for sure.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 11:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Really? You want to see another resurrected Emperor? Three was too many already.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

It may just be the timing of the Boba Fett film news/rumours, but I think it likely the new series will be about Fett.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Really? You want to see another resurrected Emperor? Three was too many already.

No, sorry that wasn't clear.

Just Empire's End fleshed out from two issues to the original 12 (or at least 6) that it was supposed to be.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:03 pm Reply with quote  

I would like a special 4-issue mini-series covering THE RETURN OF WARU! Or a Tarfang and Jae Juun story. I would also be willing to settle for a Tulak Hord series.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:10 am Reply with quote  

Here is what Dark Horse's Star Wars release schedule will look like this year (going off what we know so far).

January
Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows #1
Dawn of the Jedi: Force War #3
Legacy, Volume 2 #11
Star Wars #13
Star Wars Omnibus: Adventures

February
Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows #3
Dawn of the Jedi: Force War #4
Legacy, Volume 2 #12
Star Wars #14
Star Wars Legacy: Volume 3 HC
The Star Wars #5

March
Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows #4
Dawn of the Jedi: Force War #5
Legacy, Volume 2 #13
Star Wars #15
The Star Wars #6

April
Dark Times: A Spark Remains TPB
Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows #5
Legacy, Volume 2 #14
Rebel Heist #1
Star Wars #16
Star Wars: From the Ruins of Alderaan TPB
Star Wars Omnibus: Knights of the Old Republic Volume 3
The Star Wars #7

May
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #1
Legacy, Volume 2 #15
Legacy, Volume 2: Outcasts of the Broken Ring TPB
Rebel Heist #2
Star Wars #17
The Star Wars #8
Star Wars Omnibus: Dark Times Volume 2

June
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #2
Dawn of the Jedi: Force War TPB
Legacy, Volume 2 #16
Rebel Heist #3
Star Wars #18

July
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #3
Darth Vader and the Cry of Shadows HC
Legacy, Volume 2 #17
Rebel Heist #4
Star Wars #19
The Star Wars HC
The Star Wars TPB

August
Darth Maul: Son of Dathomir #4
Legacy, Volume 2 #18
Legacy, Voume 2: Wanted: Ania Solo TPB
Star Wars #20
The Star Wars Limited Edition HC

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2014 10:21 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, the decline of Dark Horse Star Wars comics has well and truly begun.

There is only one Star Wars comic in the September 2014 solicitations: a crazy-expensive hardcover of Dark Times 1-5.

Star Wars: Dark Times Gallery Edition HC
Randy Stradley (W) and Douglas Wheatley (A/Cover)
On sale Nov 5
b&w, 248 pages
$99.99
HC, 9" x 13 1/4"
High quality scans of Douglas Wheatley's original art, plus a feature not seen in other "artist's editions" -- the complete scripts from which Wheatley worked, allowing readers to see where he chose to stick to the script, or revise the art to better suit the story. Includes Star War: Dark Times #1–#5.
This book is sure to be a treasure for artists and comics fans alike!
• Reproduces Doug Wheatley's original art at full size!
• Includes the original scripts!
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 4