What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 101, 102, 103 ... 112, 113, 114  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Also, I'll be reading along with Crash Course: Literature this winter, which will include:
The Odyssey by Homer
Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
Hamlet by Bill Shakespeare
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Beloved by Toni Morrison

I didn't now Crash Course Literature was starting back up! That makes me want to follow along as well, but I have too many other reading lists already lol.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:15 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I just started "The Tudor Plot" by Steve Berry.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote  

Finished reading Kevin J. Anderson's Kindle serial The Dragon Business. Fun story. Takes place in medieval times and follows a group of scam artists who go around pretending to slay dragons. It also pokes fun at storytelling and includes modern references.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
Also, I'll be reading along with Crash Course: Literature this winter, which will include:
The Odyssey by Homer
Oedipus Rex by Sophocles
Hamlet by Bill Shakespeare
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
Beloved by Toni Morrison

I didn't now Crash Course Literature was starting back up! That makes me want to follow along as well, but I have too many other reading lists already lol.

Yea, I'm not sure exactly when it's starting (when Crash Course US History is done). I give them money on Subbable, and so they emailed me that syllabus for the next few months of videos.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Finished reading Kevin J. Anderson's Kindle serial The Dragon Business. Fun story. Takes place in medieval times and follows a group of scam artists who go around pretending to slay dragons. It also pokes fun at storytelling and includes modern references.

Isn't that basically Dragonheart?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:12 am Reply with quote  

Similar, but no talking dragons in this one, and the dragons aren't going along with the scheme.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So no Sean Connery? I can see I won't be liking that book.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Life Is The Path wrote:
So no Sean Connery? I can see I won't be liking that book.

Did you plan on reading it in his voice? Wink

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Is that not how people normally read books?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:

This is a debate my wife and I have. When I read, I picture all the people and I hear all the voices. The most interesting characters get unique voices, often based on the actor who played some variation of them in a show or movie, or me just saying "this guy will sound like the G-Man from Half-Life."

My wife does not do this at all. But she also reads significantly faster than I do. I suspect the act of hearing the voices forces you to slow down a bit.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

This is a debate my wife and I have. When I read, I picture all the people and I hear all the voices. The most interesting characters get unique voices, often based on the actor who played some variation of them in a show or movie, or me just saying "this guy will sound like the G-Man from Half-Life."

My wife does not do this at all. But she also reads significantly faster than I do. I suspect the act of hearing the voices forces you to slow down a bit.

Yeah, when I read, I have to make up a cast for the characters. It just seems awkward without doing that...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:

I definitely read slower when I try to give the characters voices. The only times I ever do it is when actors have actually played the characters, like Star Wars books, but I usually give up after a couple pages because of how much it slows me down.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:02 pm Reply with quote  

What kills me is when I give a character a voice and I cannot recall who's voice it is that I gave them. I remember the voice perfectly, and it fits the character perfectly, but I'll finish the book and still not have a clue who that was.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
What kills me is when I give a character a voice and I cannot recall who's voice it is that I gave them. I remember the voice perfectly, and it fits the character perfectly, but I'll finish the book and still not have a clue who that was.

It's Jason Momoa. Trust me. It's always Jason Momoa.

He's the voice of so many characters I read. Including, for example, Darth Bane and Drax the Destroyer.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:05 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Did anyone here ever think of giving a character the voice of Arnold Schwarzenegger? Laughing
Me neither. Rolling Eyes

USE THA FOSSS LUKE!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 102 of 114