Favourite Characters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Favourite Characters
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Characters are one of my favourite parts of story-telling. If a story doesn't have characters I can connect with, there's very little chance I will enjoy a story. Even if a story is bad, if the characters are good, I'm along for the ride.

So what are your favourite characters? They can be from books, movies, graphic novels etc.

Some of mine are:
-Reepicheep, The Chronicles of Narnia
-Otulissa, Guardians of Ga'Hoole
-Bruce Wayne/Batman, The Dark Knight Trilogy
-Darth Vader, Star Wars
-Luke Skywalker, Star Wars
-Aang, Avatar: The Last Airbender (though pretty much every major character from this show is just awesome)
-Lysias (aka the Fox), Till We Have Faces
-Sydney Carton, A Tale of Two Cities
-Sir Lancelot du Lac, Arthurian legend
-Woody, Toy Story

Honourary mentions:
-Katniss Everdeen, The Hunger Games
-Rick Grimes, The Walking Dead
-R, Warm Bodies

I'm sure there's more, but that's all for now.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

-Paul Atreides (Dune)
-Magneto (various X-Men books)
-Thor (as described in Marvel comics and movies, not as described in other fictitious universes or mythology)
-Darth Vader (particularly as Vader, not as Anakin)
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:42 am Reply with quote  

From my childhood, my favorite characters were the Joker (Jack Nicholson), Dark Man (Liam Neeson), Quint (Robert Shaw in Jaws), Indiana Jones, Burt from the movie Tremors, and Mad Max.

I still love all those characters, and in more recent years I've delved into a lot of book characters, with tons of Star Wars favorites.

But most book characters don't really stick with me. I love them while I'm reading the book, and I always look forward to more books with them, but for staying power, it really comes down to those nostalgic film characters from my childhood.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 9:10 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Wolverine (Marvel Comics)
Batman (DC Comics)
Luke Skywalker
Anakin Skywalker
Obi-wan Kenobi

Those are the only characters I can think of right now that I have really connected to on a deeper level than "oh, he/she/it is cool."
www.FanboysTalking.com

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:17 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hermione Granger and Albus Dumbledore (Harry Potter)
Gandalf (Lord of the Rings - at least the movies, I don't remember if he is a favorite in the books)
Benjamin Sisko and Garak (and pretty much everyone else on the show) (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
Mace Windu
Jaina Solo
Obi-Wan Kenobi

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This is hard because most of m favorite characters are just because I like the franchise they are in moreso as because of them, but here's a couple:

Larry David on Curb Your Enthusiasm.

April Ludgate on Parks and Rec.

The Irish Guy in Braveheart

Marge Gunderson in Fargo
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:22 am Reply with quote  

^Irish guy is David O'Hara. I like him, he's a good actor. He was also in The Departed.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 8:33 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Darth Skuldren wrote:
^Irish guy is David O'Hara. I like him, he's a good actor. He was also in The Departed.

Also Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 1.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:35 pm Reply with quote  

^^LOL! I forgot about that! They used him as a disguise. Laughing

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 5:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Did not know that. I'll have to keep an eye out if I watch those movies again. Thanks guys.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:31 am Reply with quote  

Richard Sharpe (Richard Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell; both the book and movie versions)
Han Solo
Indiana Jones (figures right? Razz )
Malcom Reynolds
Jayne Cobb
Hoban Washburne (ok let's just say all the main characters of Firefly at this point)
John Carter (books, not so much the movie)

and I'm sure there are others that I'll think of later.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1