Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 172, 173, 174 ... 185, 186, 187  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Indeed it is:

Heck yea!

Sorry, I'll admit I intentionally used toonie to be different. I could've said two dollars. I apologize.

On another note, my wife and I saw Frozen this weekend. It was our second time going, and no less fun.

And the theatre was still packed! The movie's been out for like 8 weeks and still draws a crowd.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I went to see American Hustle because my favourite actor (Christian Bale) and my favourite actress (Jennifer Lawrence) are in it, but I found it hard to connect with and honestly the plot bored me.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:37 am Reply with quote  

I saw The Monuments Men. As a fan of WWII movies and the cast involved in this film, it caught my interest. All in all, it's a fun film and spotlights a part of the war we often don't think about: the destruction of the precious works of art, be it paintings, sculptures or even buildings. Because of that, it's worth seeing. However it's not the sort of movie you have to see in the theater. It's not really big on special effects or action scenes. It's not even that big on characters.

While it might not be a movie I'd really want to see again, I'm still glad I saw it.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I want to see that movie. I don't care what the critics say.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This weekend I watched Lee Daniel's The Butler. It was a pretty good movie, though some of the casting choices just didn't work for me. James Marsden made a good JFK, John Cusack made a chilling Nixon, and Alan Rickman made a surprisingly good Reagan. However, Robin Williams as Eisenhower was, well, Robin Williams as Eisenhower. Surely there's someone better suited to that role than him?

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I went and saw the new Robocop last Friday. I really enjoyed it! Not as much as the original, but it was a cool movie!

Also, my wife and I saw it in D-Box, which is when the seat you're in moves a little bit to simulate movement in the scene. An example is a scene in the beginning, when the camera is following one of the giant AT-ST looking robots, and with every step it takes, your seat shifts to simulate the motion. It was really cool, and I'd do it again.

My only problem is that I sometimes get really uncomfortable with body horror, and when we see what he looks like without the armor, I was squicked out.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2014 4:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I saw The Lego Movie yesterday. It wasn't as laugh out loud funny as I'd hoped. It was cute, but the "twist" was unnecessary.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I just read an interview with Zac Synder where he says "I made the Watchmen movie to save it from Terry Gilliam." At first I was seeing red, until I saw what Gilliam's idea for the movie actually was.

Dr. Manhattan goes back in time to stop himself from getting irradiated and creates an alternate universe where the Watchmen characters still exist, but the story never happened and now exists as the fictional Watchmen comic book and kids are going up to Rorschach and saying, "Hey, cool Rorschach costume!"

Zach Synders wife said, "The fans would have been thinking that they were smoking crack!"

I gotta give him this one.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 8:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Dr. Manhattan goes back in time to stop himself from getting irradiated and creates an alternate universe where the Watchmen characters still exist, but the story never happened and now exists as the fictional Watchmen comic book and kids are going up to Rorschach and saying, "Hey, cool Rorschach costume!"

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2014 5:04 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

A+ gif usage, Reep.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote  

Saw RoboCop last night, and enjoyed it. It was a good movie. I'd give it an 8/10. It had a lot of actors I like and they all gave good performances. The guy who played RoboCop, Joel Kinnaman, did a good job, too. It's been a long time since I saw the original, so I can't make any direct comparisons, but I thought it was a worthwhile reboot.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote  

Getting some use out of Netflix, I watched two movies yesterday.

Red Dawn: first off, I saw the original and really liked that version. As an action movie, this new incarnation isn't too bad. As a story or character story, it sucked. I didn't care about most of the characters in the movie, and they didn't spend much time trying to develop character stories. It seemed like the creators were more concerned about the action in the film than telling a good story. The original was way better.

The Grey: when I first saw the previews for this movie, I didn't think much of it. An action movie with Lian Neeson in it, making the most of his success in Taken. I was pleasantly surprised to find this is actually a smartly done suspense film with some deep character development and very nice, provocative themes. I highly recommend checking it out. I was very impressed with the direction, editing and scoring of the film. Very interesting choices.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Last week, my wife and I went to see two movies:

1- Veronica Mars: If you're a fan of the show, you MUST SEE THIS. It was so good, and basically played out less like one big episode and more like a condensed season. One big plot, but big enough in scope to be the season-long mystery. Now, if you've never seen the show, I'm not sure how much you'd like it. But the show is amazing too, so I recommend that as well Smile

2- Divergent: I haven't read the book yet (key word being "yet"), but I loved the story, and the world they built for the story to take place in. Your standard post-apocalyptic society where a teen girl is the protagonist, but they executed it really well. Also, my wife loves the book and doesn't like it when the movie diverges too far from the book, but the few changes she noticed, she mostly approved of.

The only problem with the movie-watching experience was that there was a pair of movie-talkers behind-and-to-the-left of me. I think they legitimately thought they were being quiet enough, but they weren't. It was getting to me, but I was all "let it go, whatever, don't stress." Then I saw my wife react to it too and so I got up and was all "excuse me, but we can hear you quite loudly down here, thank you." They stopped, and brought what few comments they did say to a quieter volume.

So please, I beg of all of you: don't me lame movie-talkers.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 8:12 am Reply with quote  

I saw Noah, and I really liked it. It was a very fanciful telling of the story, and I found it very entertaining. Some of the cast put out some really good performances, I was very impressed by Emma Watson. She did a great job, and the story gave her character some serious weight and impact. Plus Ray Winstone had a really good part. I always like him in movies, and he was a good bad guy.

So yeah, for a movie about Russel Crowe building a boat, it was worth a matinee ticket. Cool

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm probably going to see Noah some time in the next little while. I'm excited to see how they handle the Nephilim. Cool

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 173 of 187