The Phantom Menace
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^I watched this on YouTube:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qZJ85MdS-g

Are you talking about the guy at 2:20? He's not a pilot and there are still fighters and pilots left after that.

From the video, I wasn't able to determine, if Anakins fighter was the only one left in the hangar when Maul arrives. I've always assumed that there were more starfighters than pilots in that battle. I'm not sure though.

Taral-DLOS wrote:

Why didn't Qui-Gon offer Watto the ship?

"Here's the deal: you give me the hyperdrive, I install it into the ship, you fly with us to Coruscant, and when we land on Coruscant, you fly away on your fancy new Nubian ship, which happens to include the hyperdrive I just bought. You essentially get the ship for free, after I gently use the spare part I need."

If someone offered me a fancy car for practically nothing, just a ride, I would think its an offer too good to be true. The car is probably stolen, or he's planing to kill/rob/kidnap me during our trip.....

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, that's him. For some reason I thought he was a pilot, but the clothes are markedly different. My mistake.

It's not easy to tell from the vid, but from the wide shots of Padme's group running for cover as the droidekas roll in and the hangar behind the Jedi, it's possible that Anakin's fighter was the only one left.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:45 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

DannikJerriko wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Jake Lloyd who played Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars: The Phantom Menace quit film industry after life made a living hell

Interesting read, Star Wars fans!

Apparently not. From ClubJade

Wow. I am like, two years late here, but I still feel this and this is relevant to the Jake Lloyd discussion.

Deffo think the first article sounds more plausible.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:14 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

It's funny how opinions change. My husband has never seen the PT, so we've started watching it this week. And coming back to this thread to post my most recent opinion, I see I thought quite the opposite six years ago.

To be quite honest, I thought it was painful. The film did not age well. Maybe I had a harder time because I wanted my husband to like it, I'm not sure. But the acting was wooden, from nearly everyone, and the CGI has aged rather badly. Most of it looks very fake. I realize it was 1999, but there you go. Don't use so much blue screen. Where were the sets? No wonder everyone sounded like they were "reading from a teleprompter" (my husband's comment), they had nothing to act against but a blue screen.

I haven't seen the PT in several years at this point, so I'm not sure what has changed my opinion so drastically. I won't go into a lot of detailed reasoning, I just came away with a bad taste. For a surprising turn of events, though, I also have a new and improved opinion of AotC, which I will post in that thread.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's funny because almost the exact same thing happened to me when I rewatched TPM a little while ago. I've been something of a Prequel Defender these past few years, saying that much of the criticism given to the PT is unfair, and while I still agree that many criticisms are unfair... man. It was just so... unengaging. If I wasn't already attached to the things in the Star Wars universe, I would feel nothing while watching TPM. And while it bothers me much less than my lack of engagement with the story and characters, you're right about the 90's CGI. It's really sad that a movie filled with special effects from 1977 can look so much better than a movie from 1999. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Lol my friend and I are rewatching the whole series in numerical order leading up to the new film, one per weekend. We're two in right now and yeah, it got a bit painful with The Phantom Menace. Basically we made fun of it the whole time.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:52 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

My cousin and I are planning on having a weekend-long marathon before we go see the movie, and for both lack of time and the fact that it's a subpar movie at best may mean that we'll skip it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Bane wrote:
My cousin and I are planning on having a weekend-long marathon before we go see the movie, and for both lack of time and the fact that it's a subpar movie at best may mean that we'll skip it.

Do the Machete Order! 4-5-2-3-6!

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think Ep.II is worse.

Everyone complains about Young Anakin's acting, but he gets some excuse for being a kid. What I'm saying is that teen Anakin in Ep. II was just as bad and worse because he doesn't have that same excuse.

I liked Liam Neeson as Qui Gon. I didn't think Christopher Lee was as good as Dooku.

After reading Darth Plagueis I saw that there was an interesting story in TPM. It wasn't well captured on the screen, but I have seen some fan edits of the movie that have made it decent to watch, if by no means a great film.

I just think TPM is the more compelling storyline. Showing Anakin's childhood and how he became a Jedi is a story that stands as a movie, and it parallels Ep.IV.

Ep.II doesn't parallel, I think the romance is terrible, and the Clone Wars ultimately seems pointless from the standpoint of the movies.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I've been debating in my head for a long time which is worse - an entertaining Star Wars movie with a bad story and awful characterizations (at least of its main character) or a Star Wars movie with a decent story and decent characterization (in my opinion), but puts me to sleep. It's tough. Right now I think AotC is worse for butchering Anakin's character.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
I think Ep.II is worse.

I agree completely. It is indeed worse, but it's because it's more wooden and bland. The only colorful bit of awful is the 'sand' monologue. Other than that the entire thing is so wooden that it's forgettable. There's no need to even pay attention to a lot of it. Angst, clones, fighting, and war. Tada, I summed the whole thing up.

Say what you will about Episode I, it's colorful enough to be memorable.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I didn't mind Ep. II. In fact, it was my favourite of the three prequels.

*ducks to avoid thrown produce*

It had structure, we had many different genres of story in it (the love story, the angsty teen story, the murder mystery, the political thriller, the war piece, etc.)

I didn't like angsty Anakin, but I wasn't meant to. I was meant to see a character who is mostly good but has personality traits that start making him seem awful.

Episode I is fine, too, but I like Episode II more.

My order of preference for the movies of the Saga so far (in descending order) is 5-4-2-6-1-3. But I flag that I enjoy all the movies; my least favourite is still like a 6.5 or 7 out of 10.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Episode three is the only one I have only seen once, and that was when it was in theaters. That wasn't really intentional, it just turned out that way. So I'm not sure how it compares to the others.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:56 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I didn't like angsty Anakin, but I wasn't meant to. I was meant to see a character who is mostly good but has personality traits that start making him seem awful.

But shouldn't you like the main character - at least in a Star Wars movie? I vastly prefer Anakin's portrayal in TCW. He was a good, heroic person with the seeds of darkness laid. They struck a good balance between making him larger than life as General Skywalker, hero of the Clone Wars, but also making him all too relatable. For the life of me, I don't know why they didn't go in that direction in AotC. In AotC, he had nearly no redeemable qualities and just came across as a pyscopathic time bomb.

And, Dog, you should really rewatch RotS. It's actually amazing imo. It may be better than you remember.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:10 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Offhand I remember that I really did not like Force Lightning blasting Samuel L. Jackson out the window and Vader's Battle Star Galactica moment.

It probably really dates me, but I still think Darth Maul is cool. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 6 of 7