The Sequel Trilogy (7, 8, 9) General Discussion Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  

Episode VII in theaters makes you...
...ECSTATIC
18%
 18%  [ 6 ]
...SCARED SITHLESS for the EU
34%
 34%  [ 11 ]
...Speechless
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
...All of the above
43%
 43%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 32

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 10:44 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Indeed. There was a lot in TCW that I liked in its own right. That it was such a drastic change was unfortunate. But I had a hard time complaining because I usually liked the newer stories on their own, or in some cases better than what had been done before. There are some exceptions. Somethings I just didn't like or see the point of. But overall it was fine.

I am actually curious if they will even use characters. Will Han and Leia have twin kids? Will Mara exist? It would be so different to imagine the families any other way, and yet there's a part of me that wants to see what draft 2 of galactic history could be.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I've a question: Movie or novelization first? As far as I know, all the other novelizations to the films came out before the movie, and so I think it's reasonable to assume the next one will be no different. What I want to know is if you're going to be reading the novelization first, or will wait to see the movie first, so that that can be your first experience of it?

And further, do you normally read the novelization first, or not? Will you change your usual habit (whatever it may be) for this film?

I generally don't bother with novelizations, but I think I might with this one.

Also, it's beyond unnatural to use the Z instead of the S in novelizations, but it so happens to be the correct spelling.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 7:02 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I do plan on reading the novelization, but I'm definitely going to watch the movie first. My general rule is to experience the original first, then the adaptation.

I wonder who is going to write the novelization?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:16 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
I've a question: Movie or novelization first? As far as I know, all the other novelizations to the films came out before the movie, and so I think it's reasonable to assume the next one will be no different. What I want to know is if you're going to be reading the novelization first, or will wait to see the movie first, so that that can be your first experience of it?

And further, do you normally read the novelization first, or not? Will you change your usual habit (whatever it may be) for this film?

I generally don't bother with novelizations, but I think I might with this one.

Also, it's beyond unnatural to use the Z instead of the S in novelizations, but it so happens to be the correct spelling.

Novel before movie, but movie before novelization.

That ization makes the difference.

I like Reep's idea: the original, then the adaptation. Order of release is not important in this case; the novelization is the adaptation.

The counter-example is with superhero movies. A lot of the time, the movies draw from source material, but are not "adaptations" of specific stories. For example, the recent "The Wolverine" drew heavily from the Claremont/Miller 1982 "Wolverine" miniseries, but it did not adapt that story. A lot of comic book fans get under the impression that the movie is an adaptation of the book, and get really upset when the movie is different. So I've encouraged people to see the movie first, and then if they like it try to explore the comics (particularly for Guardians of the Galaxy; the characters look largely different from their book counterparts, but no less interesting--if you like the movie, you might like the comics, but if you're spoiled with the comics, your mind may be closed to the movie).

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:49 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I doubt I will read any movie novels. Considering the track record so far, they just wouldn't be reliable sources.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 2:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll definitely watch the movie first and yes that is my usual habit.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
I doubt I will read any movie novels. Considering the track record so far, they just wouldn't be reliable sources.

When it comes to depicting exactly what happens, then I totally agree, but you have to remember that the Episode III novelization is one of the best works of EU out there.

Indeed, I prefer it to the movie.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:22 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

No argument about the RotS quality. But I don't read SW for its quality. I read SW for its canonicity.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
No argument about the RotS quality. But I don't read SW for its quality. I read SW for its canonicity.

Then you, sir, have a rough year ahead of you Razz

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I will be reading the book first, just because I'll be spoiled rotten by the time the film comes out anyway. Laughing

I did the same with Episode III, and I loved seeing in the theater what I read the week before. It didn't ruin the magic of seeing Star Wars on the big screen. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:25 am Reply with quote  

I'd rather see the movie first and read the book after. It's worth noting that we might not see the book released until after the movie. The novelization for Star Trek: Into Darkness by Alan Dean Foster didn't come out until 5 days after the release of the movie.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 5:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Five days? Amazon must have the wrong date, then, because it says it came out in October (the film came out in April/May). Is that something that's normal for the Star Trek films, though? Or even Abrams' films? It certainly can come out after the film, I was just basing my assumption on the fact that all the novelizations (even for TCW film) came out beforehand.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:26 am Reply with quote  

With Star Wars, the books have always come out before. But that was the pre-Disney, pre-Abrams era.

Notes:
Star Trek Into Darkness aired May 16
novelization came out May 21 (according to Amazon and B&N)
Star Trek The Motion Picture aired May 8
novelization came out June 16
Star Trek: Nemesis aired December 13
novelization came out December 13

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
With Star Wars, the books have always come out before. But that was the pre-Disney, pre-Abrams era.

Notes:
Star Trek Into Darkness aired May 16
novelization came out May 21 (according to Amazon and B&N)
Star Trek The Motion Picture aired May 8
novelization came out June 16
Star Trek: Nemesis aired December 13
novelization came out December 13

I wanted to be cute when writing this, but instead it came out snarky. So instead I'll just say it: please note that "Star Trek The Motion Picture" is not/NOT the 2009 movie you're referring to above.

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is that some-say-good/some-say-bad movie from December 1979. It is important that we not confuse the generally-very-good 2009 movie with the weird 1979 one.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:11 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So I am becoming suspicious that this is the most massive JJ Abrams misdirect in history. And that no matter what gets announced or published, no matter what trailers there are, what footage gets leaked, what actors say, despite all of these things we will sit in the theaters on December 18th, 2015 and the credits will roll to reveal
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 3 of 4