What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 104, 105, 106 ... 109, 110, 111  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:23 am Reply with quote  

Finished The Shining. Really good book. Even had a good ending, something King sometimes struggles with or prolongs way too long.

And thus I've started Doctor Sleep. Not too far into it yet, but I'm not sure how much I like the way this one is going. First off, there was no mention of the insurance claim ($80,000) Danny and his mom should have gotten, but they ended up getting a settlement from the hotel. Not a biggie.

The thing that's bothering me is that Danny is being taught a new trick by Dick, the chef who also has the Shinning...mild spoiler...
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Keep going Skuls, it becomes worth it. Its really almost 2 stories in 1, but it creates this great wider world that you would expect from a sequel. It works.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:39 am Reply with quote  

Yep, definitely getting better. I like the evil gypsy angle and how Dan is dealing with his alcoholism. Not sure how Abra is going to fit in yet.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Yep, definitely getting better. I like the evil gypsy angle and how Dan is dealing with his alcoholism. Not sure how Abra is going to fit in yet.

Keep going, I'm actually psyched to talk to someone about this because few of my friends read anymore.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 9:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reading The Beast Within: The History of the Werewolf. Obviously the concept is rooted in magical practice. According to the author the werewolf myth derives from animal sacrifice and totem rituals among hunting societies. The moon symbolism was more predominantly added by later agrarian groups, which ties the two concepts together.

It also references the very excellent book Vampires, Burial, and Death. The vampire is a more modern version of the primitive werewolf myth derived from medical and funerary practice.

Although they don't feature an exhaustive account of modern literature and film incarnation of the monsters, I would consider these to be the definitive accounts for the classical sources of these creatures.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2014 9:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm reading Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 6:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished Jane Eyre. Generally didn't like it, but to be honest I finished it a while ago and have only now moved on to my next book, so I can't remember my specific complaints.

Now reading Voyage of the Dawn Treader. As a big fan of the old, wooden sail ships, I anticipate enjoying this one greatly.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 7:40 am Reply with quote  

Finished Doctor Sleep. It was a good book, and I had a lot of fun reading it, but I think it got a little weak with the ending.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 9:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I finally cracked open my "Guardians of the Galaxy: Tomorrow's Avengers Volume 1" collection this past week. While having nothing to do with the upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy movie, it's really cool to see the origin of these old Cosmic Marvel characters.

The original Guardians of the Galaxy were a team of the last free humans trying to free Earth from alien invaders. It was a really cool premise, and often features time travel (to include regular heroes in their fight). I'm only a few issues in, but it's a lot of fun!
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Now reading Voyage of the Dawn Treader. As a big fan of the old, wooden sail ships, I anticipate enjoying this one greatly.

I look forward to your thoughts on it. VDT is considered the best in the series by many and it's the reason Reepicheep is my favourite character of all time.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Voyage of the Dawn Treader. I enjoyed it immensely. Though to be honest, maybe not so much as Prince Caspian, but I don't mean to say it was bad, just that I enjoyed PC more. There were a few things I didn't like, or rather, that I wish it had more of. I would have liked Lucy to take a deeper interest in magic. I'm rather curious of Narnian magic, and if she had done so, I could have had a look at it from an 'insider's' perspective. I also feel that it could have done with a few more dangers, as sometimes it felt a bit too much like a pleasant jaunt on the sea, rather than the sailing into the unknown, not sure you'll return adventure it was.

But I really liked that aspect. As I said, I like the old wooden sailing ships, and I was a big fan of - bugger it, I've forgotten. The Arabian Nights stories? Sinbad? Yes, that sounds right. It reminded me of the old Sinbad stories.

Now reading The Professor by Charlotte Bronte.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That's interesting that you like PC better than VDT, because among Narnia fans VDT is generally the favourite and PC is generally the least favourite. Even though I like VDT better, I could never call PC my least favourite because of how much I love the knightly feel to the whole thing as well as the poignancy of the magic being lost. That said, I don't think I could call any of the books my least favorite. Razz

Interesting thoughts on Twitter btw. I never thought of what the horizon on a flat earth would be.

It's also interesting that you wanted Lucy to take a deeper interest in magic. Magic generally is pretty mysterious in Narnia which is how I like it. The book that probably goes most in-depth is The Magician's Nephew. It draws some interesting parallels between magic and science.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Then I look forward to Magician's Nephew! I think I mainly wanted Lucy to develop an interest in magic is because I wanted to peak behind the curtain. It was a very magic-heavy story, and I wanted to gain a greater understanding of it. Though that mystery was particularly well done, I thought. It expanded the world of Narnia greatly but still kept that mystery.

I think the main reason(s) I liked PC was because of that poignancy. And here I am, just having read tLtWtW, being familiar with the films, and all the magic and the animals - and it was all gone. Then there's Caspian's story itself, which was more personal than, I think, VDT.

As for my thoughts on twitter, do be aware that I'm a layman, so I could be entirely wrong. But as I was reading, I was trying to imagine what it would be like, and so happened across what I thought would be a reasonable experience.

Regarding The Professor: just read a synopsis, and ... nope. Don't like it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
I think the main reason(s) I liked PC was because of that poignancy. And here I am, just having read tLtWtW, being familiar with the films, and all the magic and the animals - and it was all gone. Then there's Caspian's story itself, which was more personal than, I think, VDT.

I love the sadness of PC. I think the famousness of LWW also really works in PC's favour. The story of LWW has become so well known, that it's almost become as much as a myth in our world as in Narnia.

Life Is The Path wrote:
Regarding The Professor: just read a synopsis, and ... nope. Don't like it.

Wait, what? Do you mean Professor Kirke in The Magician's Nephew?

EDIT: Never mind lol.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:

Really? King is still playing with the cliched, and racist, evil magic Roma trope? He did it with Thinner, but I thought that book was supposed to be a joke. How lame.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 105 of 111