To Boycott or Not To Boycott
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
To Boycott or Not To Boycott
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sorry for being negative, but has anyone else been feeling this dilemma? Part of me is excited to see a new Star Wars movie on the big screen, but the "need" to boycott has been nagging me. I mean, if, as is almost certain, Episode VII tosses the EU, that's 20+ years of stories that we've invested in financially and, more importantly, emotionally, that the Powers That Be are tossing aside like fanfiction. Ladies and gentlemen, it is not just fanfiction! This "fanfiction" was published under Lucas's name, he got money off of it, and we were told it was canon. Anyway... I've ranted about this a million times, but the point is that some days I really want to boycott this movie and maybe the entire trilogy. Lucas and co. think that we will flock to see a new Star Wars movie no matter how badly they screw us over, well they are wrong! Then again, what do you think the odds are of my resolve melting the second Episode VII hits theatres?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:52 am Reply with quote  

I won't boycott. I'll go see it to see if it's worth throwing away the EU for. Besides, any organized boycott among Star Wars fans would be ineffective at accomplishing anything unless you sought out media attention. We're outnumbered by the masses.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I will see the new Star Wars movie.

If I enjoy it, I suspect I will see the subsequent ones too.

If the books and comics, old EU or new-line, look good, I will buy them.

I will not pre-judge the outcome of the new movies. I don't personally care that they're throwing away EU. Even if it doesn't "count", the stories are still enjoyable (IMHO).

Really, that was always a risk, wasn't it? At any time since 1983, Lucas could've decided to make Episode VII. At what point did it become a crime to do so?

And I would like to ask fellow fans if the word "boycott" is even correct here. You're choosing not to see something. Boycotts are organized, and have wide media exposure. You're taking a stance, based on your principles, and are (possibly) choosing/considering not to see the movie as a result of that stance. You have that right, but I don't think it's a boycott.

I would note that I took a similar stance vis-a-vis the Ender's Game movie and was made to feel (by people on this forum) that my stance and my decision was stupid. I respect your decision to not see these movies (should you make that decision), though I will say I don't agree with it.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 1:15 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I remember being ticked when the new movies were announced. Mainly because I was worried they were going to make these with the same consideration as the Transformers films. Partly because I knew, no matter what they said, that the EU was going to become an alt universe.

I've calmed down since then. It's not "Disney" making a princess movie. For some reason when we hear "Disney" we think of terrible made for TV movies and corny original series, which they do make, but overall they're highly successful franchises born of quality stories that sometimes get dragged out too far. (Because the EU wasn't already doing that in some places?) Besides that, Disney just owns LucasFilm. LLucasFIlm is making these. Kathleen Kennedy is a wildly successful and talented producer. JJ Abrams is a wildly successful and talented director. These films have a chance.

If Disney runs this how they run the Marvel/Avengers films, I am 100% okay with this.

But really I got over being angry because it took too much energy. And it wasn't going to stoop anything. And these films can't erase the old film or burn my books.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:39 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Being an EU fan from the beginning I, too, am a little upset at what looks to be a certain "reboot" of sorts. I've been reading and listening to interviews from people that should know (Pablo, Filoni, etc.) to get some kind of clue (since they aren't telling us anything yet). I have to say that I do believe that the EU, as we know it, will be set aside. BUT, I also believe that some elements of it will be used in the new "one story" continuity. I love the idea of a "story group" who's job it will be to keep the continuity across all media. I love the idea that they will be doing away with the various "levels" of canon. I love that whatever happens in the movies, or on tv, or in a book, or in a comic, or even in a game...it'll all be part of the "one story"...going forward. The part that somewhat bothers me is that is what they told us years ago...that it was all one big story. Then we had continuity conflicts and infinities and such. I guess they didn't have enough control over the content. But, according to Pablo, that will change...and I'm happy with that.

Filoni has stated that he views the EU as a treasure trove of good ideas he can use in making his shows (TCW and now Rebels). And, supposedly, GL felt the same way. To the general public, they'll never know that character X came from a book or comic. But, we'll know. It's like having cameos of lesser known characters in tv shows and/or movies. Only the people that are familiar with the extra content will "get it". That's how I see this going forward. While at first I was upset about that, I've made my peace with the probability. What I haven't made my peace with is the fact that Disney/LFL haven't told us anything yet, leaving us to speculate and argue about what will happen.

This morning I thought of something. Marvel will be taking over the comics license in 2015. Perhaps you may have noticed that a lot of movies lately will have a comicbook "pre-story" that sets up the movie. These tend to either come out just before or about the same time as the film. The most recent that I've read about is the new Godzilla movie. It'll have a comic tie-in/pre-movie story that sets up the movie. THAT'S what I am expecting from Marvel for Star Wars. I think their first offering will be a mini-series that leads into Episode VII. And this will be where we'll find out how much of a reboot we'll have. After the movie is released, I think we'll see an ongoing that will take us into Episode VIII and beyond as well as some other series and one shots.

All of that said, yeah, I'm definitely going to be in line, with my kids, in our Rebel Legion costumes to see Episode VII on my mother's birthday (I've already told her...and she's ok with it. She's great! She took me out of school to get in line for the opening of RotJ in '83!).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:59 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:

This morning I thought of something. Marvel will be taking over the comics license in 2015. Perhaps you may have noticed that a lot of movies lately will have a comicbook "pre-story" that sets up the movie. These tend to either come out just before or about the same time as the film. The most recent that I've read about is the new Godzilla movie. It'll have a comic tie-in/pre-movie story that sets up the movie. THAT'S what I am expecting from Marvel for Star Wars. I think their first offering will be a mini-series that leads into Episode VII. And this will be where we'll find out how much of a reboot we'll have. After the movie is released, I think we'll see an ongoing that will take us into Episode VIII and beyond as well as some other series and one shots.

I've been suggesting that this is likely, as well. And frankly I look very much forward to this happening. I will definitely preorder any Star Wars comics that tie into the new movies, as I did with Star Trek (Countdown and Countdown to Darkness were both great little IDW books).

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'll likely wait until some reviews come in for the new film. Or for some of you lovely people here to tell me if it's gonna crush my soul or not. I have to say, the more I thin about it, the less upset I am about the tossing out of the EU. The only things I'll really miss is Mara Jade and the Vong invasion plot. Otherwise....I gotta say, the EU has greatly disappointed me in recent years.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I'll likely wait until some reviews come in for the new film. Or for some of you lovely people here to tell me if it's gonna crush my soul or not. I have to say, the more I thin about it, the less upset I am about the tossing out of the EU. The only things I'll really miss is Mara Jade and the Vong invasion plot. Otherwise....I gotta say, the EU has greatly disappointed me in recent years.

Remember though Padmè that those plots and characters will still exist. Nothing will stop you from buying and reading them. All that will change is whether they "count" in the movie continuity.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:33 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

All right. I should probably say something since I'm the one who started this thread. My initial post isn't really a good indicator of where I stand on Episode VII. I posted that immediately after a sudden surge of Expanded Universe nostalgia.

With that in mind, here are some more thoughts:

First of all, Taral, you are probably right in saying my use of the word "boycott" is probably incorrect. It's fandom slang I probably picked up at NarniaWeb. I just like saying "boycott". Razz

Despite my nostalgia, like Padme I have been disappointed in the EU for the last little while. Problem is, I don't see the Lucasverse being any more well written or consistent. I'm just the kind of person that really dislikes things that aren't cohesive or intelligible and there are some things in Star Wars that really bother me, particularly in the areas of Force philosophy. The only thing the Lucasverse has on the EU + Lucasverse is definitive continuity. Which is nice, I guess.

The thing I'm really going to miss about the EU is the characters. Mara Jade, the Solo kids, Ben Skywalker, Thrawn, countless others. Gone. Well, not completely. As many have pointed out, those books are still there for us to read, but I think some good points were made in the last FarFarAway Radio episode. Part of the fun of the EU was that it was ever expanding and old books could be seen in a new light after new books came out. I probably will re-read some old EU in the future just for the fun of it, but it seems weird reading a book that isn't canon anymore. For some people this doesn't bother, as long as they get good stories, but I'm just one of those people who it does bother. It may be totally irrational, but it is the way it is.

I'm in an odd state with Star Wars right now. Star Wars has pretty much moved to the level of "casual fandom", meaning I'll look forward to the movies and TV shows with vague interest, but I'm not on fire for Star Wars anymore. In many Star Wars really isn't a big part of my life like it was when I was younger. There are so many other things that are on my mind and that I enjoy and Star Wars has retreated pretty far into the background. Yet I still visit a Star Wars fansite every day simply because I enjoy the community and because of that I stay on top of the news and am kind of forced to have opinions on everything in ways that I wouldn't in other casual fandoms. I have nothing to compare it to.

Just to end on a positive note, I'm planning on buying the seasons of TCW I don't have in the near future and watching the six films plus TCW in chronological order. I'm going to try to throw all of the politics out of my mind (as much as I can anyway)and try to just watch and enjoy. We'll see how it goes.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:47 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Reepicheep, I agree with your feelings about EU content as of late. After Mercy Kill, Kenobi, and Crucible I've lost interest in the books DR has put out. I think part of it is knowing that it's probably not going to be a part of the "canon" story going forward. Like you, I'm really going to miss the characters we've all grown to know and love over the years. And also like you, what really interested me is the continuity between the books and comics. Pablo's comments about the new story group is about the only thing that helps get past the dismantling of the current EU. And Filoni saying that they'll still use elements of the existing EU helps too.

Still, as I grow older I find myself developing other interests that require money and/or time that I used to put towards SW interests. Part of me even wants something in Rebels, the movies, the new continuity to be something that I'll really dislike enough to drop SW all together. But then I think about how SW has been part of what makes me...me over the last 37 years. I don't know if I can really let that go. I think I'm doomed to be a SW fan for the rest of my life. Wink

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote  

Anyone plan on boycotting the Star Wars Marvel comics? That would be way easier than somehow mustering the willpower to not see new Star Wars movies.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

Remember though Padmè that those plots and characters will still exist. Nothing will stop you from buying and reading them. All that will change is whether they "count" in the movie continuity.

That's very true, Taral, but I have to say...I'm starting not to mind so much that it won't be canon. Take the two things I mentioned. Both destroyed but bad writing. Mara, by her senseless and nonsensical death. The Vong invasion, by Anakin Solo's death and Jacen's rise to prominence. Those are just my opinions, mind you, but I almost feel the EU has ruined most of the stuff I originally liked.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nope. I will be there for the midnight screening, no question.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:27 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Skywalker2B wrote:
Still, as I grow older I find myself developing other interests that require money and/or time that I used to put towards SW interests. Part of me even wants something in Rebels, the movies, the new continuity to be something that I'll really dislike enough to drop SW all together.

It's almost ironic that I said this just yesterday afternoon. Because last night I was talking with a friend online that says he knows an ex-LFL employee that still has contacts within the company. He went on to tell me some things that frankly ruined my day...or maybe not. So, I'm calling this a rumor, but you may want to consider it a spoiler warning:

What one thing would make me turn my back on SW...
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)
I'm hoping beyond hope that this info is all false, but my friend apparently believes it 100%.

So, perhaps I will be able to pursue those other interests sooner than I thought. Sad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I honestly don't know how I would feel if that were true. It would almost certainly feel like a slap in the face, but, on the other hand, it could be done really well.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 2