Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 173, 174, 175 ... 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:55 am Reply with quote  

I thought the Nephilim were cool. They had a little bit of a Lord of the Rings vibe to them. Definitely added to the fantasy element of the film.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I watched Oz the Great and Powerful and, while I thought the movie was a mixed, bag, it got me interested in reading the Oz books to see how L. Frank Baum fleshed out his world.

Basically, I felt the movie suffered because it seemed like the story being told would have been suited to a movie directed more at adults. Though the Oz books are, of course, children's books, so that might not make too much sense. As a stand-alone film, the ending was actually pretty morally ambiguous (sort of like The Dark Knight - achieving social stability with a lie), but it came across as a feel-good ending about believing in yourself and recognizing your unique talents. I also thought the romance angle could have been handled a lot better had it been directed at adults. Other parts I rather liked (especially the origin moments) and a lot of the ideas in it had potential, but I think it could have been much better.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I'm probably going to see Noah some time in the next little while. I'm excited to see how they handle the Nephilim. Cool

Let me know when you've seen it, we'll have a discussion when more than just me and Skuls can weigh in (I want a large one on this one!).

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I'm interested in seeing Noah. I'll probably wait for the DVD, though.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I watched Star Trek (the Abrams one) on the weekend. It was my first Star Trek experience. I thought it was all right. It kept my interest (though I have to say, the alternate timeline thing wasn't exactly "user-friendly"), but it didn't blow me away like my first Star Wars experience did. I didn't find Kirk very likable as a protagonist. I liked the overall premise of a small group exploring the unknown though (a bit like The Voyage of the Dawn Treader in space) and overall the ending got me more interested in watching classic Star Trek than moving on to Into Darkness.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:06 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Went to see Captain America; The Winter Soldier this past weekend.

I liked almost everything about it. I'm only mildly familiar with the Captain America books (I know enough that I understood a lot of the references).

Pretty much everything about it was well done. I recommend it wholeheartedly.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Went to see Captain America; The Winter Soldier this past weekend.

I liked almost everything about it. I'm only mildly familiar with the Captain America books (I know enough that I understood a lot of the references).

Pretty much everything about it was well done. I recommend it wholeheartedly.

I agree. TWS was amazing! In many ways it's better than the Avengers, but I'm hesitant to put it ahead just yet. It certainly is my favorite Avengers "standalone" film, though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote  

So rewatching Thor: The Dark World I was thinking about the scene where the Dark Elves crash their ship into the halls of the castle in Asgard. Am I the only one who thought that the way it's plowing through the columns and then the Dark Elves rushing out to fight the Asgardian soldiers was very similar to the scene in the Deception trailer for TOR where a transport ship crashes into the Jedi Temple and then Sith swarm out to fight the Jedi?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:38 pm Reply with quote  

I saw Captain America: The Winter Soldier as well. I liked it a lot better than the first one. Not better than Iron Man, but better than Iron Man 2 & 3.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Winter Soldier was great, and I'm excited to see what happens on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as a result.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Salaris Vorn wrote:
So rewatching Thor: The Dark World I was thinking about the scene where the Dark Elves crash their ship into the halls of the castle in Asgard. Am I the only one who thought that the way it's plowing through the columns and then the Dark Elves rushing out to fight the Asgardian soldiers was very similar to the scene in the Deception trailer for TOR where a transport ship crashes into the Jedi Temple and then Sith swarm out to fight the Jedi?

I did think that, yes Very Happy .
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Salaris Vorn wrote:

Same here Smile

GrandMaster wrote:
The Winter Soldier was great, and I'm excited to see what happens on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. as a result.

I haven't seen The Winter Solider yet, but the show brings up a few things that happen in the movie. Maybe even the plot of the show is influenced by the CA movie. Well I can't really say 'till I've seen it. Guess what I'm gonna watch next. Laughing

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hogy wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:
Salaris Vorn wrote:

Same here Smile

GrandMaster wrote:

I haven't seen The Winter Solider yet, but the show brings up a few things that happen in the movie. Maybe even the plot of the show is influenced by the CA movie. Well I can't really say 'till I've seen it. Guess what I'm gonna watch next. Laughing

...Yea, without spoiling anything, I'd advise stopping watching Agents of SHIELD until you watch Winter Soldier. I've heard about what they plan to do in the TV show, and if you haven't seen the movie but plan to, it'll be spoilerific, I suspect.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, last week's episode spoils just about every major spoiler in the movie, so you should definitely see the movie first if you want to avoid spoilers.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:53 am Reply with quote  

I don't watch SHIELD at all, so I was completely spoiler free Very Happy

Curious, though, what stuff did they spoil?
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 174 of 186