Mandalorians
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:41 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

So that is how it is. Clever man, to make it look like he gives it all away. Well, the donation will presumably still be substantial enough we can't begrudge him some PR trickery.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Laughing

So cynical, DarthMRN. Wink

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:31 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Hey, IIRC half of those 4 billion are Disney stock. Do we think he would first ask for payment in that form only to liquidate it after so he could donate to charity? Or that his chosen charity takes donation in the form of stock? Of course not. And then he goes on record about giving away all of the money he got from the deal, which is technically true, except that is probably the least valuable part of what he got. If that article is any indication, he made no effort to clarify that he wouldn't actually be giving away 4 billion, which is what an otherwise uninformed reader (and the journalists, apparently) would be lead to believe. Hard to think he didn't count on that.

There is that one thing often said of GL: He is a lousy filmmaker, but a damn shrewd businessman. Always was, ever since he gave up his ANH directorial fee for SW merchandising rights instead. Considering that is the most profitable part of his empire, we better believe it.

It fits too well for a guy who has so often changed his mind and tried to revise history through lies and denials. Precedent for shrewd business and PR-spindoctoring? Check and check! So I dare say it is less cynicism and more "fool me twice, shame on me". GL hasn't been wanting for money in a long time. His reputation is down the drain, though. Spending 2 billion on 4 billion worth of PR actually sounds like a smart move for a guy who should be worrying about his legacy about now.

Again though, cash given to charity in the billion class earns anyone forgiveness for whatever selfish motives they have.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Nevermind George's evil galactic empire, did the "decision" to make Jango not a Mandalorian actually occur after the Disney buy? If not, you can't really put that on him. I mean in terms of butting in when he isn't supposed to.

I blame Dave anyway for all Clone Wars shenanigans. GL is always gonna do what he does, but he's made it clear that he's not going to undercut the EU unless it directly conflicts with his ideas, because he just doesn't care. Do you really think he called up Dave and insisted that Darth Maul was from Dathomir? Or do you think that he had no idea what the heck that even was in the first place?
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:23 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Not sure I get your point about the Disney buy. Pretty sure that stuff was planned out ahead of the takeover, however. AFAIK they were in the planning stages for as far out as season 7 when TCW ended, so clearly this stuff is decided long before we see it. At the same time, Disney has owned SW for barely over a year.

If you ask me, TCW is one big love letter to GL overwriting stuff, either out of spite or because he embraces it as inspirational material only. There are few things Filoni has been more consistent about than his own EU fandom, and bringing EU stuff to GL's attention in the hopes of having it respected, with the latter deciding he wanted to use it piecemeal only. I never understood this hatred of Filoni. How anyone can look at him next to GL and get it into their heads that TCW's EU trampling has more to do with him than his EU-dismissing, all-poweful boss, I will never understand.

Incidentally, I'd love to see anything to suggest GL had made it clear he would avoid the EU unless it happened to conflict with one of his indpendent ideas.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 2 of 2