Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 174, 175, 176 ... 181, 182, 183  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:31 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I don't watch SHIELD at all, so I was completely spoiler free Very Happy

Curious, though, what stuff did they spoil?
Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

The spoiler bit contains the end of Captain America: The Winter Soldier:

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well the spoilers in the Marvel's agents of SHIELD aren't that big (E.17).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I adored Winter Soldier. One of the best Marvel films in awhile. Only slight disappointment was the lack of focus on the Winter Soldier himself. I may even start watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. again to see how they handle the fallout.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
I adored Winter Soldier. One of the best Marvel films in awhile. Only slight disappointment was the lack of focus on the Winter Soldier himself. I may even start watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. again to see how they handle the fallout.

Not worth it. I promise you.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:09 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think SHIELD has gotten a ton better. I just wish I hadn't watched the first few episodes because they've tainted what I've seen from the show recently. I think Coulson alone makes it worth it. Even though it has a lot of faults.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'll be going to see this later today. Because peer pressure. Thanks, guys.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:49 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I was supposed to see it over the weekend, but had failed plans. I hope to see it this week. All alone, though. I've moved 30 - 60 minutes away from where I grew up, and even though it is expected that I come visit often, no one will make the trip the opposite direction. I find this greatly discouraging. And none of the friends I've made this direction will ever accept my movie invitations. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Okay it turns out I don't mind being a spineless jellyfish, the film was brilliant
. Thanks, guys.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 7:24 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I was supposed to see it over the weekend, but had failed plans. I hope to see it this week. All alone, though. I've moved 30 - 60 minutes away from where I grew up, and even though it is expected that I come visit often, no one will make the trip the opposite direction. I find this greatly discouraging. And none of the friends I've made this direction will ever accept my movie invitations. Sad

Seeing movies alone is fun sometimes! I saw Thor: The Dark World a second time in theatres, just by myself, and it was a good time! Also: I got to have ALL THE POPCORN (twice; I knew there was a lull in the action and got up to refill the bag lol)

The only downside is if you need to use the restroom, and no one can tell you what you missed.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote  

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:

For my part I've really enjoyed the show since the beginning and really liked how the plot has developed following Winter Soldier. But I don't know whether enjoying the show puts me in the minority. *shrug* to each their own right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I very much like the show, too, so even if you're in the minority, you're not alone. It's a solid, well made, engaging show. But not only that, while (I think) it stands alone as its own entity, it also enhances the universe it's set in, and has made me appreciate the previous films more. This isn't to say it's incredibly awesome, it has its faults (though, being honest, I have my fan blinds on with regards to this show, but I gather there are faults), but I quite enjoy it nonetheless.

Now, with regards to Winter Soldier, I do have two gripes.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:46 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I'm also a fan of the show, but I agree that it's not perfect - but then again, what show is perfect in its first season?

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 3:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finally saw Noah!

Caedus_16 wrote:
Reepicheep wrote:
I'm probably going to see Noah some time in the next little while. I'm excited to see how they handle the Nephilim. Cool

Let me know when you've seen it, we'll have a discussion when more than just me and Skuls can weigh in (I want a large one on this one!).

Let's do it! There's so much to discuss with this movie. Cool

First of all, I really liked it. I rolled my eyes a bit when I saw the trailer (especially the part with the army charging at the arc), because it looked like a desperate attempt to force a story into a movie it just isn't meant to be, but I was pleasantly surprised. The way I saw it, is that Noah is a microcosm of the Old Testament, or at least Genesis, focused into one story. Aronofsky didn't pull things from thin air like I feared, but everything felt natural and Old Testament-esque. For example, the climax with Noah choosing whether or not to kill his granddaughters was not in the traditional story of Noah at all, but it reminded me a lot of the terrifying story of Abraham sacrifice Isaac later on in Genesis. When Il-la became pregnant, again not in the traditional Noah story, I got the chills, because of the significance of barren women becoming pregnant at other points in the Biblical narrative. The inclusion of Tubal-Cain was interesting and I ended up loving it. Again Tubal-Cain wasn't in the Biblical Noah story, but he was mentioned earlier as a descendant of Cain and the first metal worker (I can't recall if he was alive during Noah's time... I'm going to re-read the first eleven chapters of Genesis probably today). Tubal-Cain was a classic OT (Old Testament not Original Trilogy lol) villain. Like the builders of the Tower of Babel and the kings of Assyria, Babylonia etc. he believed in the greatness of man and of himself and cared little for God. He was ambitious, had no respect for life or Creation, and was terribly cruel.

I thought the acting was all really good especially Russel Crowe as Noah.

I was curious when I heard this was using elements from the Book of Enoch, because it's such a fascinating book, but I was a little surprised at how little was actually drawn from it. My biggest, and only major complaint, was how the Watchers were portrayed. In the Book of Enoch, the Watchers were a group of fallen angels who taught humanity the art of war, how to make weapons, sorcery etc. They slept with human women and "begot" the Nephilim, a race of evil giants... who were absent from the movie. God punished the Watchers and that was pretty much the end of the story. I thought the way they were used was odd in the movie. Apparently they wanted to help mankind, rather than corrupt them by giving them information and skills, kind of like Prometheus from Greek mythology. God punished them for this by encasing them in earth and sentencing them to exile on earth only to later receive them back into Heaven once the Flood started. So... they were doing the right thing the whole time? It's pretty heavily implied though never made explicit that God desired humanity to continue, so why did God punish the Watchers? I can see how it fits into the themes of the story, but I just didn't like it. I really wanted the Watchers and/or the Nephilim in the movie, but I would have preferred the mischievous fallen angels from the Book of Enoch to what we got.

I felt the opposite with Ham. I really like how they made him a more sympathetic character. I like angels being black and white and humans complicated.

I also loved how Aronofsky linked Noah getting drunk to what he had experienced. I can't believe I never thought of that before, but it makes perfect sense! The story of Noah is a frightening story, it really is. I think trying to turn it into a straightforward, happy tale is doing it a huge disservice.

Visually, it was mostly impressive, though some parts looked fakey because of all the CGI. To be fair, though, a lot of the scenes couldn't have been done with anything but CGI. I loved the flashback to the seven days of Creation! And, of course, I didn't have any beef with the evolutionary progression. I thought it was really cool. It is rather interesting that, apart from the birds on Day 5, the Creation process more or less follows the scientific chronology of the earth's history.

Some of the things people are complaining about strike me as extremely silly. I don't see the term "The Creator" being an attempt at political correctness at all. First of all "God" isn't really a name, YHWH or the LORD is. God isn't even known as YHWH until He reveals Himself to Moses at the burning bush. It makes perfect sense for God to be even more mysterious at this point. I actually really liked that mystery. Political correctness annoys the Dickens out of me, but I don't see this as political correctness. "The Creator" implies a monotheistic god that created the world and that's good enough for me.

I also think it's silly that people are slamming this for preaching an environmental message. This is a modern movie made by a modern person, so it's going to be a comment about modernity whether anyone likes it or not, Aronofsky included. That said, I didn't feel like there was a modern environmental message being crammed into the story. Once again, I thought this element felt perfectly natural in its context. I thought Aronofsky was drawing on much older ideas of piety concerning the natural world and also the idea of mankind being a steward of the earth. Lewis and Tolkien also used these ideas in their stories. I never felt like Noah was teaching his children to prevent Global Warming, but to respect the Creator's creations. I loved the scene where Noah reprimands one of his sons (I forget which one it was. Ham maybe?). The idea of respecting life, even down to the flowers, seemed like a really foreign concept for Hollywood and I loved it. The idea of the Cainites being an "industrial power" has plenty of basis in the original story. If respecting life makes you a treehugger, than a treehugger I am. Of course, my father also taught me to never kill an insect unless it was attacking me so... I actually got pretty angry as a kid when another kid was randomly killing insects. Razz

That's it for now. So, yes, good movie. This is one of those movies, like Where the Wild Things Are, that has a difficult time finding a target audience, but winds up being perfect for me. It's probably too religious for a lot of non-religious movie goers and it's probably too dark and takes too many liberties for a lot of Christian viewers. After all the sanitized Sunday school versions and ridicule it's been given at the hands of Richard Dawkins and his ilk, what a relief to see this story being given the respect it deserves. If you don't want to think of the Bible as something more than great literature, fine, but please don't think of it as something less.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
the Creation process more or less follows the scientific chronology of the earth's history

Not even slightly.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Haha, fine. Wink

Sloppy thinking on my part. My bad. I took the fish coming first thing and ran with it, but I should have noticed the other things. I still love that scene in Noah. Cool

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 175 of 183