The Continuity Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71, 72, 73, 74  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:32 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
No, go ahead and slam Dave Filoni. He's an idiot. That statement makes no sense.

Right, but it's only one statement. I'd say people are allowed to make bad statements from time to time, so long as they're the exception to the rule. I know I've made some really dumb statements that I should have thought out more. Kudos to those who always speak perfectly. I wouldn't know.

I like Dave Filoni. I think he knows how to handle Star Wars more than Lucas honestly. I get the sense that if he had his way TCW would be compatible with the EU. Most of the gripes I have with TCW came from Lucas.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:33 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I feel pretty much the same way. I read people talking about reboots and different continuities of this book series or that comic story, etc. and them trying to compare that to SW. Sorry, that argument doesn't hold water. Ever since 1991 we were told that the EU would continue and expand on the story from the movies...and that it would be one cohesive story. Then some people came along that didn't like the books and/or comics or just refused to even read them. And other "creative" producers of SW material came along that didn't want to have to restrict their "creative juices" to what someone else had already done. And thus we got "X-Level Canon". And there was GL himself, who obviously originally gave his permission to go forward with the EU from the get go, changed his mind about it (I know, surprise, GL changed his mind) and said that only his movies and the projects in which he directly participated (ie. TCW) were part of "his story". All of the rest of the EU was someone else's story.

Don't kid yourself, GL wrote "his" idea for the ST and spin offs and sold that to Disney. He put KK in place to enforce his ideas over other people's ideas. I'm sure that he hand picked JJ and all of the other directors for the movies. They've admitted that GL is still a "consultant" in the whole process. So, while Filoni is good about including some elements of the EU for the fans (because he is one too), that will only really be a factor in the Rebels show. I doubt that we'll see much of any EU stuff in the ST and spin offs. It's not too hard to tell that Simon Kinberg is a "movie purest". That should tell you something.

To those of us that fell in love with the movies first, and then the EU...yeah, this "bulldozering" of the EU is gonna hurt...at least in some way. And having those movie purest fans rubbing it in our face will be even worse. I'm still undecided if I will fully embrace a new EU or not. I may decide to just join the other camp and become a movie purest so I ignore everything SW that is not in a movie.

End rant.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:01 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Time of death? April 25, 2014 at 13:55 EST

http://starwars.com/news/the-legendary-star-wars-expanded-universe-turns-a-new-page.html

R.I.P. Star Wars EU.

Crying or Very sad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Aww, man. I think we all knew this was coming, but the "officalness" still hurts.

I knew that my fandom was in critical condition, but this feels like the official goodbye. Let's face it: a huge reason why I was a Star Wars fan was because of the EU. Had there not been an EU, I'm sure I would still love the movies, but so much of my Star Wars memories revolve around the EU. My image of what Star Wars is (or was) is deeply intertwined with the EU.

So am I still a fan? I can't say I am, at least not an active one. I still love the OT, much of the EU, and heck I could even throw the PT in the mix if I'm feeling relaxed, but I've lost interest in the future of Star Wars.

Star Wars has not aged well for me. When I was 12 years old I was introduced to two things that would change my life: The Chronicles of Narnia and Star Wars. It's interesting to look back on how those two stories have influenced my life and how their impact on me has changed over time. Starting out I was equally obsessed with both, but as I grew older one grew with me and the other started to become distant.

With Narnia, I delved deeper and deeper and discovered and continue to discover layer upon layer of subtlety and meaning. Narnia introduced me to C. S. Lewis and C. S. Lewis introduced me into the world of philosophy and literature. As I delved into these new interests I discovered that they added additional layers of enjoyment to my beloved Narnia books. Lewis was in love with rationality and order and his books reflect this. Michael Ward said it best when he said, “At its heart, Narnia is a coherent and purposeful world. It’s richly teeming with creative intelligence.”

However, with Star Wars, the older I got, the more problems I discovered. Whereas with Narnia I discovered deeper layers of meaning and thematic consistency, the longer Star Wars runs the more inconsistent and random it becomes (at least with G- and T-Level canon... the EU was doing just fine for the most part). Lucas simply doesn't care about continuity or story. Whatever ideas happen to strike him at a particular time, he incorporates it into a new story. Never mind if this idea completely contradicts what came before, not only in details but thematically (e.g. I still have no idea how to reconcile the Mortis trilogy thematically with what came before Confused). The OT is brilliant. I think we all agree with that. I adore many of the EU stories and I'll probably re-read a bunch of my favourites some day, canon or not. But in the end, it has become truly exhausting being a Star Wars fan. The politics and endless canon-shifting/revising just ruins the enjoyment for me. I loved what we had, but apparently the powers-that-be didn't. Thank you, George Lucas, for screwing up, what could have been and what was great. Give me the movies we already have (give or take the PT) and the EU any day, and keep your television shows and new movies.

Sorry for the negativity, but if I tried to be positive about this I'd be lying. My heart is broken. Crying or Very sad

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm happy, because we now have a new and much more clear status quo in preparation for the new movies.

To celebrate, I will likely crack open an EU book this weekend. I've been thinking of re-reading the Thrawn Trilogy. I will do so, I do declare.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:34 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I wouldn't be so quick to celebrate. Especially since they are picking and choosing what to carry over. I've seen things like this before, where they promise a much more clear and precise status quo. Only for them to mess things up far more quickly then it happened before.

Take DC comics as an example. When they did their relaunch a few years ago, they claimed it was all thought out and knew what would be kept and what wouldn't. But time has told anything but was true. Just a few years later and it's a mess.

While I'm hoping you are right and things work better, experience tells me to be wary.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:42 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I won't lie; this hurts. I knew it was coming, but still.

What really makes it a bitter pill is that, according to Jennifer Heddle, even recently released novels like Kenobi and presumably Lockdown and Honor Among Thieves have been branded "Legends." While the Luke book becomes part of the "new" EU.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:19 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Well, it was cool seeing all these big EU players in the tribute video, at least.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd honestly rather them toss the whole thing aside than make a bigger mess.

This is bad folks, this is bad.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@DarthMRN: That video made me feel like weeping. Sad

@Caedus: I thought they were tossing the whole thing, the EU I mean. Unless you mean tossing all of Star Wars.

I really want to "boycott" now...

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:37 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

To me the saddest part of this change, that we will not be getting the Sword of the Jedi series that was in the works. I was really looking forward to those books.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:52 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

The video was awesome, really cool way to give these guys a legitimate spot in SW. Like most i knew it was coming but............ Damn

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:54 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The depression. It is real. And I shan't be consoled. Crying or Very sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
No, go ahead and slam Dave Filoni. He's an idiot. That statement makes no sense.

Right, but it's only one statement. I'd say people are allowed to make bad statements from time to time, so long as they're the exception to the rule. I know I've made some really dumb statements that I should have thought out more. Kudos to those who always speak perfectly. I wouldn't know.

I like Dave Filoni. I think he knows how to handle Star Wars more than Lucas honestly. I get the sense that if he had his way TCW would be compatible with the EU. Most of the gripes I have with TCW came from Lucas.

True, calling him an idiot is not right. It's just that people say, 'the Clone Wars is just George playing with his toys, but Dave is trying to give the fans what they want." And I used to agree, but the more I heard from him after TCW was over, the more I think it's the other way around.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:13 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

What could you possibly have heard to make you think 'the Clone Wars is just Dave playing with his toys, but George is trying to give the fans what they want."?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 70 of 74