Episode VII in 2015 [spoiler thread]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 34, 35, 36  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 3:04 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Let's not forget that there are probably smaller parts that they won't announce, and unless there is some reporter or something that snaps some pics, we probably won't know about until the movie hits. There may even be names of other actors that they don't want to reveal because it would give away too much just by mentioning the person's name (Hayden? Ian? etc.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:18 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Let's hope so, else it seems very likely Sydow will play a villain. And having a character who is old enough to have been around for the PT without making some connection seems unlikely. Villains tend to be old Sith. And one male PT Sith was said to have the power to cheat death...

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sydow as Plagueis would be very sweet! Wouldn't even mean they're changing the species. He could esially be just providing a voice.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
Prediction time! Very Happy

Domhnall Gleeson will be the new Skywalker and one of the main characters. He looks the most Skywalker-ish to me.

Daisy Ridley (who is lovely btw) will play Han and Leia's daughter and will be another main character.

There's no Mrs. Skywalker, which makes me think Luke might not have any kids (unless she died or something).

And I agree that Ridley will be a Solo - she's sitting right between Ford and Fisher, which to me implies she's playing their daughter.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:24 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

It is interesting that the Luke-alike is a redhead, though, and that there is no obvious wife in the main cast.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The time gap between the novels being released and the new trilogy seems to be pretty wide. I think it's possible that Luke could somehow be estranged from his kid's mother and the novels will slowly introduce us to her for later films.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

The only one I dislike in that cast is Adam Driver. I didn't like his character in Girls. That's a stupid thing, really, but the negative association is stuck in my mind nonetheless.

I vaguely recall Daisy from Silent Witness. If I remember correctly, she was all right. I think she could be a good actor for the film.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:19 am Reply with quote  

What is everyone's thoughts on only 2 out of the 13 revealed cast members being female? You have to admit, that's a pretty big imbalance.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
What is everyone's thoughts on only 2 out of the 13 revealed cast members being female? You have to admit, that's a pretty big imbalance.

It is odd, but is it any bigger an imbalance than literally any of the other Star Wars movies?

Padmé and Leia are the only noteworthy female characters in the whole saga so far (noting that other women in the movies, like Mon Mothma, Aunt Beru, Shmi Skywalker, and the various Jedi, have secondary roles at best).

But yes, more women in lead roles would be great in this.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:53 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It'll all depend on story for me. In my opinion, sticking women in your movie so you look progressive does no favors for women. It implies they some how need others to write work for them to have value in a story.

Star Wars has always been about fathers and sons and to an extent brothers. That's just the story George wanted to tell.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
It'll all depend on story for me. In my opinion, sticking women in your movie so you look progressive does no favors for women. It implies they some how need others to write work for them to have value in a story.

Yeah, I agree. I really dislike this modern attitude of "We need to have 50% female characters, each minority needs to be represented by at least one character etc." It's just silly. Just go with what/who suits the story. Rolling Eyes

And btw there is a female character they haven't cast yet:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/star-wars-episode-vii-casting-699924

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:31 pm Reply with quote  

None of that really justifies a male dominated cast. Would you be so quick to accept it if the cast was revealed to be 2 men and 11 females? Just playing devils advocate and thinking of the larger picture. I'm not a female, so I can't say I have much invested in this one way or another. But looking at the bigger picture, female fans need to represented, just like people of color. Most fans tend to gravitate toward people that are similar to themselves. Representation is important.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

None of that really justifies a male dominated cast. Would you be so quick to accept it if the cast was revealed to be 2 men and 11 females?

If it turns out the Nightsisters are the main antagonists I'd be 100% okay with it. It depends on the story.

If they're fighting Imperial Remnants, which wouldn't have many women in power, then I don't see the need to shoehorn a character to be "fair about it". I just want to see what the story is.

Like I sad before, Star Wars films were always about Fathers and Sons. That doesn't make them sexist, it makes them movies about Fathers and Sons. They could do a spin off film and Mothers and Daughters if they want. But if they're going for that iconic feel for the first film, then you have to keep themes.

- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:41 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I am a woman, and while I can be a feminist about some things, I think the whole representation argument is silly. One of my favorite movies is The Thing, and guess what...there aren't any women in it!

As someone already said, it just depends on the story. Don't force more women into the film just to make it equal. Does it support the story? That's what matters.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:54 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I find myself in the chauvinist camp on this one.

If it had been reverse gender ratios, it would have been strange to me, and off-putting in a knee-jerk-reaction sort of way. That is the part of me which shouldn't be catered to. But it would also smack of political correctness and some meta agenda which could only hurt my suspension of disbelief and immersion. That is the part of me which should be respected.

Disney has too much to prove with this movie to take that sort of creative risk, no matter how politically commendable it would be. People want and expect the OT resurrected, which presumably is best done by giving people 80's hairdos and computers, filming on film over digital, and otherwise going for that classic feel. I see no way short of YodaBauer's "all Nightsisters" scenario where such a feel wouldn't be undermined by glaringly PC casting.

When it comes to video game sequels, I am the guy that says "Don't innovate just to keep the franchise fresh by screwing with its formula. Let new franchises do the innovation, so that the market as a whole evolves. Don't force that crap in where it isn't expected". So I'll say the same here: Don't be PC in a franchise with patriarchal roots. Respect it for what it is and be PC in other franchises. Or at the very least save it for the NU or the spinoffs.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 26 of 36