Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heir to the Jedi by Kevin Hearne
 PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:21 pm Reply with quote  

Quote:
A long time ago in a galaxy far, far awayÖ.
STAR WARS: HEIR TO THE JEDI by Kevin Hearne

A thrilling new adventure set between A New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, andófor the first time everówritten entirely from Luke Skywalkerís first-person point of view. Created in collaboration with the Lucasfilm Story Group. Coming January 2015. Jacket art by Larry Rostant.

Note: this was the third book in the Empire and Rebellion series, however, with the new branding and with this one being considered part of the new canon, I don't know if it's still part of the series or not. This one is not part of the "Legends" canon.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Kind of "meh" on this one.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:15 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Very "Meh" on this!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:11 am Reply with quote  

Well you "meh" guys haven't read Hexed, Hammered and Hounded. Those were three outstanding books by Kevin Hearne and I highly highly highly recommend checking them out. Absolute blast to read.

Sadly, he raised the bar so high with those three books that I'm afraid his Luke novel won't be as good. BUT, there's a chance it could be that good. I've heard this book is going to be in first person, which will be odd. Stackpole did it with I, Jedi and it worked, so it might work really well here. We'll just have to wait and see. But I am looking forward to this one. Hearne is a good writer and he has a way of handling humor and emotionally gripping drama like Aaron Allston.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:45 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wouldn't usually be excited for a Luke novel from around this time period. But with the reset I will be very interested to see what his character is like now.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:44 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I posted this in another thread, but think it should go here:

My question about the new Luke book...

We know that the authors for the Empire and Rebellion books were chosen because of their lack of knowledge of the EU. We also know about the Story Group and that the Story Group was consulted for at least 3 out of the 4 newly announced books. I also heard part of an interview with Kevin Hearne about the Luke book and he did NOT mention anything about talking to the Story Group (SG). So, knowing that his book was in the works before the big announcement, and that it "used" to be part of the Empire and Rebellion books, DID Hearne talk to the SG about what Luke (and/or any other character in that book) do/think/say/etc. matching what plans the SG have for those characters going forward? Or will everything that happens in that book have absolutely no impact on any part of the story beyond that one book? If it is the later, no thanks, I'll pass. I want stories that impact the whole overarching story.

Anyone know? Perhaps someone will need to pose that question to the author, or someone on the SG.

I should note that I didn't read either the Leia or Han books simply because I knew they ignored existing EU and had no intention of reading the Luke book for that same reason...even though Luke is my favorite "movie" character.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Well you "meh" guys haven't read Hexed, Hammered and Hounded. Those were three outstanding books by Kevin Hearne and I highly highly highly recommend checking them out. Absolute blast to read.

Sadly, he raised the bar so high with those three books that I'm afraid his Luke novel won't be as good. BUT, there's a chance it could be that good. I've heard this book is going to be in first person, which will be odd. Stackpole did it with I, Jedi and it worked, so it might work really well here. We'll just have to wait and see. But I am looking forward to this one. Hearne is a good writer and he has a way of handling humor and emotionally gripping drama like Aaron Allston.

You had me at 'like Aaron Allston'.

... which doesn't make much sense, since those were the last three words of your post, but just roll with it.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:25 am Reply with quote  

Well if Heir to the Jedi sucks, I'd still recommend checking out Hexed, Hammered and Hounded. He uses a lot of Star Wars jokes.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:50 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Well if Heir to the Jedi sucks, I'd still recommend checking out Hexed, Hammered and Hounded. He uses a lot of Star Wars jokes.

I've read Hexed and Hammered but can't remember if I've read Hounded. They are a very interesting take on that genre for sure...and yes, his Star Wars jokes are pretty good. :D

I'll be reading Heir to the Jedi.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:07 pm Reply with quote  

Star Wars Books has released an excerpt for Heir to the Jedi.

Quote:
Thereís no one around to answer all my questions now that Benís gone. Itís a stark fact that continually reasserts itself each time I wonder what Iím supposed to do now. That brown robe he wore might as well have been made of pure mystery; he clothed himself in it and then left nothing else behind on the Death Star. I know Han likes to scoff at the idea of the Force, but when a manís body simply disappears at the touch of a lightsaber, thatís more than ďsimple tricks and nonsense.Ē

And I know the Force is real. Iíve felt it.

I still feel it, actually, but I think itís like knowing thereís something hidden in the sand while youíre skimming above it. You see ripples on the surface, hints that something is moving down thereómaybe something small, maybe something hugeóliving a completely different life out of your sight. And going after it to see whatís underneath the surface might be safe and rewarding, or it might be the last thing you ever do. I need someone to tell me when to dive into those ripples and when to back off.

I thought I heard Benís voice a couple of times during the Battle of Yavin, but Iím wondering now if that really happened. Maybe I only thought it did; maybe that was my subconscious speaking to meóa kind of wishful thinking. Heís been silent since, and I donít feel I can talk to anyone else about the Force. My confidants at this point consist of one blue and white astromech droid.

Source: Star Wars Books Facebook Page

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1