A New Dawn - September 2014
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth_Henning wrote:
AceAzzameen wrote:
I think that is always a possibility for new book to be written in the "Legends" continuity. We are not losing anything, the old books will ALWAYS be there in some form, and we are getting four new books which sound fantastic so far.

YOu and I have different definitions of fantastic.

They come across as rather played out filler to me that are unlikely to go anywhere (baring the rebels one which will be "new" simply because of original characters).

I come on the side of Ace's definition of Fantastic. More books, by great authors, and the continued existence of the old books.

I'd only be upset if Disney sent someone to my home to repossess my novels. But, as far as I know, that isn't happening Smile

Now we just need comic tie-ins. You know, to drain my wallet further.

I will say that A New Dawn is the one that interests me the least.

The rest do feel somewhat filler-y (not in a bad way, in my view), but they can't talk much about EpVII tie-ins without revealing any EpVII plot. So they'll want to hold back with anything like that until we get any EpVII plot info.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:46 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I'd only be upset if Disney sent someone to my home to repossess my novels.

My sentiments exactly. I'll still have all my favorite stories to revisit when ever I wish.

I know a lot of you are upset -- and I understand that. I really do. As a DC Comics fan...I know all about "reboots" and "change".

Hell, I'm not entirely happy with the latest "New 52" thing and it's been over a year already. I've read some of it...and bought some of it...but I'm not a die-hard Wonder Woman collector any more. That, for me, is really sad. I've loved Wonder Woman almost as long as I've loved Star Wars.

I just hope that those of you who are truly hurt and upset about this new change will revisit your feelings and take a chance again in the future.

Only the Force knows what the future holds for us -- and the new stories. Cool

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 7:55 am Reply with quote  

Off topic, Bianca, do you read the Injustice - Gods Among Us comics or the Forever Evil series?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Darth Skuldren wrote:
Off topic, Bianca, do you read the Injustice - Gods Among Us comics or the Forever Evil series?

The Injustice story is on my list for future reading...after trades come out that I can get through my library.

I'm not sure about the Forever Evil series...that might be something I pick up eventually.

Hell, I'm still trying to get access to Gail Simmone's Secret Six trades...they're completely elusive through my library's loan system!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:13 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just finished this book. Overall really good. It wasn't perfect and some slow parts but at the same time I think it's worth a read, especially for any who plans to watch Rebels.

Some interesting points regarding changes in canon:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:16 pm Reply with quote  

I don't think any of them will be film characters.

However, regarding the way the Empire is being newly portrayed, I find the new Empire to be more appealing.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:35 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

As someone who loved the EU, but didn't like all parts of the EU, and really hated some parts, I actually find this refreshing. There was so much material and so little time for a 7 8 and 9 trilogy movies to be fit in and epic like the original movies, that this had to happen. And this is coming from someone who really started to love Star Wars when I read the Thrawn Trilogy.

But I'm more of a head canon kind of guy. I was never a fan of "Take it all or take nothing" but I liked how the books did weave in with one another, that was a cool part of Star Wars lore, it kept it from getting too convoluted like Superheroes where it's a reboot and a different face each generation telling roughly the same story with a few tweaks but you have no idea what is going on ever. Star Wars wasn't like that.

But I picked and took what books I enjoyed and what storylines I liked. I hated these aspects of the EU:

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

And that's just a few. There was so much crap in the EU and no more timeline or possibilities to stretch out that it made it stale. I'll take some new books that are entertaining to read, I don't see why people are so up in arms with the old books being relegated to a different status of canon. They're still the same stories, still the same adventure that made them good in the first place. Obviously they never were on the same level of the movies, it's not like George Lucas wrote them all himself.

I'm still going to enjoy new books and old books, new movies and old movies, because I enjoy the lore of Star Wars. I think something as trivial as canon down to the letter in what amounts to hundreds of different books, movies, video games, tv shows, etc. is crazy. What do we love them for in the first place? The fact that it's Star Wars. You know?

Just my two cents.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 5 of 5