Random Movie Musings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 175, 176, 177 ... 184, 185, 186  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
Quote:
the Creation process more or less follows the scientific chronology of the earth's history

Not even slightly.

That article was really good, although I made the mistake of reading comments. Never do that Smile

I went to see Captain America: The Winter Soldier again this weekend. Still a great movie.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:15 am Reply with quote  

@Reep: glad you liked it. I was really tempted to go see it twice in theaters.

Quote:
The way I saw it, is that Noah is a microcosm of the Old Testament, or at least Genesis, focused into one story.

I liked that element of the movie, how they echoed Abraham being asked to sacrifice his son, but instead of an Angel coming to stop Noah, it was Ila's faith, her willingness to sacrifice her two newborn children in service to god, that shook him and made him realize there was still goodness in mankind. With the way his kids, even his wife, were acting at that point in the movie, it's easier to understand why Noah would think god wanted all of human kind eradicated. Ila's role in the story was very touching and move me a great deal during that scene of the choice. Emma Watson really did a great job.

Quote:
The inclusion of Tubal-Cain was interesting and I ended up loving it.

I like Ray Winstone to begin with so it was easy to enjoy his character. The way they portrayed Tubal-Cain made an excellent contrast to Russel Crowe's Noah. Tubal-Cain carried a grudge against god. He felt like he was forsaken, and being that, he devoted himself to being a master of his own destiny.

Like many, I did open my bible up after seeing the movie. I didn't work out the math, but during that time, everyone had really long lifespans and I 'think' Tubal-Cain would have been around with Noah, or at least he could have been.

I thought the acting was all really good especially Russel Crowe as Noah.

Quote:
I was curious when I heard this was using elements from the Book of Enoch, because it's such a fascinating book, but I was a little surprised at how little was actually drawn from it...

It's been a while since I've read the Book of Enoch, and I only read it once, so a lot of it is vague in my memory. But those elements you mentioned would have been really cool to include in the movie, and it was definitely a miss opportunity. Had they gone that route, they could have included more mythical looking fantasy elements, and added more depth to those characters. Perhaps they opted to simplify that part in order to save money on the budget.

Now as for their being a conflict in their role in the movie, I thought it came down to them having to pay a price to go to Earth to help man, and once they turned back into service to God, they were rewarded.

My small gripe with them was at then end when that one Nephilim tears himself apart, essentially committing suicide, and yet is still redeemed. I thought that didn't ring true. On one hand, there's the stigma toward suicide, and on the other, he sort of rushed his reward when he probably could have fought on a little longer.

Aside from that, I kind of liked Nick Nolte voicing one of the Nephilim. His gravelly voice is perfect for a rock creature.

Quote:
I also loved how Aronofsky linked Noah getting drunk to what he had experienced.

You know, I hadn't acknowledged the importance of that connection in the film until you mentioned it. That's actually a lot more fitting that I realized it was. When watching the movie, I had forgot about the part in the bible where Noah gets drunk and they have to cover him.

Quote:
Visually, it was mostly impressive, though some parts looked fakey because of all the CGI.

The cartoony like scenes of early history was a little off putting, and the fallen angels looked a little off at first, too, but the CGI for the animals was really well done.

As for the other stuff, I had no issues with them referring to God as the creator, with the protecting of life to the extent of vegetarianism, and with the descendants of Cain being portrayed as evil polluters mirroring the fears of corporations run amok in modern society with no concerns toward pollution and conservation. They're all valid topics to explore in storytelling, even during this time period.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:53 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I liked that element of the movie, how they echoed Abraham being asked to sacrifice his son, but instead of an Angel coming to stop Noah, it was Ila's faith, her willingness to sacrifice her two newborn children in service to god, that shook him and made him realize there was still goodness in mankind. With the way his kids, even his wife, were acting at that point in the movie, it's easier to understand why Noah would think god wanted all of human kind eradicated. Ila's role in the story was very touching and move me a great deal during that scene of the choice. Emma Watson really did a great job.

Ila was a great addition. Towards the end I actually found myself hoping that an angel wouldn't appear to Noah like in the story with Abraham to tell him not to kill his grandchildren. Just for the sake of story, characters etc. I think using Ila the way they did was a much better choice. I think it was clear that Noah made the right choice, but it's ambiguous enough to keep it interesting.

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I like Ray Winstone to begin with so it was easy to enjoy his character. The way they portrayed Tubal-Cain made an excellent contrast to Russel Crowe's Noah. Tubal-Cain carried a grudge against god. He felt like he was forsaken, and being that, he devoted himself to being a master of his own destiny.

See, I only know Ray Winstone as the voice of Mr. Beaver in Narnia. I didn't even know it was him until afterwards. Razz

Darth Skuldren wrote:
My small gripe with them was at then end when that one Nephilim tears himself apart, essentially committing suicide, and yet is still redeemed. I thought that didn't ring true. On one hand, there's the stigma toward suicide, and on the other, he sort of rushed his reward when he probably could have fought on a little longer.

Hmm. I don't recall.

Darth Skuldren wrote:
The cartoony like scenes of early history was a little off putting, and the fallen angels looked a little off at first, too, but the CGI for the animals was really well done.

I've been debating whether I think the Watchers were a good or bad thing for the story overall. Even though I would like the Watchers to be included, with the changed backstory and the cartoony animation, I would have rather they not be in the movie personally. I did like the animals though.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 8:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I saw The Amazing Spider-Man 2 today. The first one was really promising and gave me a lot of hope for the franchise, but this one took away any momentum the first one gave. There was no direction, the plot was jumbled and there was just way too much going on.

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 12:20 pm Reply with quote  

I saw The Amazing Spider Man 2 this weekend as well. It was a spur of the moment decision. I thought, hey, it's Marvel and a big budget Hollywood movie, safe bet, right? I have not seen the first one, but I thought that wouldn't be a problem.

Well, I was disappointed. This really seamed like a kids move. I didn't like the characterizations, which seemed weak, and I didn't like the plot, which was really thin. I'll not be going to see another Spider Man movie any time soon.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 7:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^If you ever get the chance, watch the first one. So much better paced, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 6:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I watched my first Hayao Miyazaki movie, Howl's Moving Castle, last night. I was mesmerized. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. Cool

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 8:20 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I saw The Amazing Spider Man 2 this weekend as well. It was a spur of the moment decision. I thought, hey, it's Marvel and a big budget Hollywood movie, safe bet, right? I have not seen the first one, but I thought that wouldn't be a problem.

Well, I was disappointed. This really seamed like a kids move. I didn't like the characterizations, which seemed weak, and I didn't like the plot, which was really thin. I'll not be going to see another Spider Man movie any time soon.

The new one is an absolute mess and a nightmare to deal with, but the first one wasn't as bad. It was streamlined, a bit more interesting.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 9:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
Darth Skuldren wrote:

The new one is an absolute mess and a nightmare to deal with, but the first one wasn't as bad. It was streamlined, a bit more interesting.

Guys, I'm going to disagree. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 was my favourite Spidey flick. I loved the villains, I loved the Peter/Gwen stuff. I loved constantly seeing stuff and being all "Squee!! Look, it's a reference to X!" I LOVED how Spidey's dialogue was snappy and jokey (like how he is in the books). I loved the villainous arc of Electro (especially that weird bit where the music merged with the voices in his head). Dane Dehaan was a bit weird.

And I loved everything about the end (which I admittedly saw coming from a mile away, but loved it regardless).

My Spider-Man movie scale:
1- Amazing 2
2- regular 2
3- Amazing 1
4- regular 1
5- regular 3 (which was terrible, but fun as a mindless action flick.)

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll have to disagree with most of what you said Taral. While I enjoyed Spidey's one-liners and his relationship with Gwen the rest was bunk. It was cut worse than Man of Steel, the pacing was absolutely awful and it ruined the movie. You can have all the good moments you want, if you don't put them together right then you still have a messy movie. The references were find, but the excess of them didn't balance.

Also..

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:16 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I didn't like Amazing Spider-Man 2. It didn't know what it wanted to be! Electro was cool, and the music was pretty awesome, but...the movie as a whole was all over the place. It suffered the flaws of Spider-Man 3, except not quite as bad.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2014 1:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

More about TASM2:

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 1:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I watched my first Hayao Miyazaki movie, Howl's Moving Castle, last night. I was mesmerized. It was like nothing I had ever seen before. Cool

You should definitely see his other stuff. I think you'd probably like just about all of it.

Pom Poko is my favorite, though.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 5:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ I will, for sure. Smile

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
I'll have to disagree with most of what you said Taral. While I enjoyed Spidey's one-liners and his relationship with Gwen the rest was bunk. It was cut worse than Man of Steel, the pacing was absolutely awful and it ruined the movie. You can have all the good moments you want, if you don't put them together right then you still have a messy movie. The references were find, but the excess of them didn't balance.

Also..

But we'll have to agree to disagree. I had fun, that's all I can say, really.

-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 176 of 186