The Continuity Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Werehunter wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
Guys, someone started a "We Are Gathered Here Today" thread to remember the EU that was lost mere days ago. http://www.eucantina.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2000

This upsets me. Yes, the books can be said to "not count" anymore in continuity. Yes, characters introduced therein will not have their stories continued. These are sad things.

Since I created said thread, I'll respond. I think you took the thread the complete wrong way. Even your description about the thread being to remember the EU is not correct. It's about the characters as they were in that EU. While I might have used the words 'gone for good' in the thread, I wasn't referring to them not counting or that I'm boycotting. I even mentioned that yes some bits of the characters may be used in the future, though they'll likely be changed to fit the new universe.

The thread is about the fact that in a way these characters have died. There will be no more growth for the characters, no more stories told with these characters. We won't see Jag and Jania working together as a married couple. We won't see Piggy settle into his role as Wraith Leader. We won't see Ben's growth after being betrayed by a person he loved yet again. Even if those characters somehow make it into the new Star Wars universe, they will likely not be used in such a way. That is what the thread is about. I even mentioned in the thread, that it's not about bitching about the change but talking about these characters we love.

And while I'm not thrilled with losing the EU, I've not stated that they'll never see another cent from me. Admittedly, I did make a thread asking how people would react a while back, but I'll give the new books a chance. Well maybe not any of the books they are launching with, but I likely wouldn't have bought any of those anyways. None of them really interest me, outside of the Luke one and after my disappointment with the Leia and Han books, that one doesn't interest me much.

Thanks for that extra clarification. I take your point that this is the end of an era that is worth noting and fondly remembering, and that these characters do stop growing. I didn't get that from the thread at all. So I was perhaps a tad confused and over zealous. I'm sorry if my rant wasn't entirely accurate.

And you're right: I want to see many of these things that we won't see (namely Legacy and KOTOR era stuff). But I think the name of the thread heavily implied a "woe is us! The books are all gone!" tone that I understand now was not intended.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 12:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

DarthMRN wrote:
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Twisted Evil

LucasBooks wrote:
The novelizations of the seven films--including The Clone Wars--are canon.

https://twitter.com/DelReyStarWars/status/461541040273764352

To clarify the funny part: Those novels contradict the movie canon on so many points, that the only way this can be true is if the old system, where bits and pieces are canon, while others are not, as tracked by the Holocron, is still in effect. And it was a big reason why we had all these levels, rather than a simple canon/non-canon divide.

Specifically, it means that they will keep sweeping discrepancies in supposedly canon material under the rug piecemeal, with only the Holocron users knowing what is actually canon and what isn't. Less than a week after declaring the LU dead on the justification that the NU canon will be equal between all media, we learn that lesser sources will be ignored piecemeal to preserve the whole -EXACTLY LIKE IT WAS BEFORE!!

Poor Story Group didn't manage to preserve the illusion that everything would be equal canon for even a week.

And this surprises anyone at all?

As soon as they sweep the EU under the rug, then its free licence to do so again to whatever they want, whenever they want.

The movies will be the only thing not rebooted endlessly. And that's only until they decide to remake the OT in 30-40 years.

DarthMRN wrote:
I don't see your point. There are only so many useful surgical tools known to us. "Fewer tools" implies that there is more to be had. But if there aren't, there is no disadvantage. Unless you count lack of future inventions, which seems a little silly.

EDIT:
Wait, you are talking about skill at use. Though in this case tools and opportunities actually refers a lot to those skills. Someone doing their best to make a good Ep. VII has a "toolbox" of scriptwriting and filmmaking techniques to make something the human animal with certain cultural leanings will respond favourably to as a collective. If some or many of those are off-limits because the LU has to be respected, then the skills of the creators aren't to blame if the movie suffers for it. Those limitations, which provide no sure benefit to the film's quality, are.

I am not ignoring this. I merely saw it as I was heading to bed. Will respond appropriately tomorrow.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 9:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

After a quick search of the Wook, it seems that the fans who have complained about Mortis being in FOTJ have blown it all out of proportion.

Abeloth is the Big One, yes, but she's not mentioned by name until Abyss and doesn't appear until Allies. Mortis itself is only mentioned in Apocalypse. The dagger is only mentioned in Apocalypse and Crucible. Ashoka Tano isn't even namedropped in any post-LOTF books.

For those of us who prefer the original Clone Wars timeline, why not just treat the mentions of Mortis and the hunt for the dagger in FOTJ as fallout from an unexplained and unchronicled mission that Anakin and Obi-Wan undertook during the Clone Wars and be done with it instead of griping?

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:47 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Not griping is not in people's genetic make up. Wink

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 1:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hearing that Mortis is in FotJ is the first real motivation I've had to read up to those books finally. I usually find myself caring more about PT and TOR era books.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Never mind that last post. Just read the intro to Abeloth's character on Wookieepedia. I really don't know if I need to read anything to do with any of that.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2014 6:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Laughing

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 9:09 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd say that FOTJ fairly well misunderstood the Mortis arc. Or Luke did in FOTJ, at any rate. Which is a shame.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:56 am Reply with quote  

How so? Mortis was George Lucas interjecting fantasy back into the space opera of Star Wars. FOTJ and Crucible followed suit.

It's hard to argue specifics as George doesn't ever give those out. We really don't know anything specific about Mortis. It's all allusions and possibilities.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 7:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Question for anyone who's read Dark Times and Purge: Since the last four arcs of DT and all the Purge comics except the first were released after The Clone Wars started in mid 2008, do they incorporate anything about the war that would clash with anything in the issues released before The Clone Wars hit, or are all issues of both series OK?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:14 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I followed both, and I have never seen a problem with a cross over of the two. I have always seen purge as such a one off kind of story, that it never really had a chance to relate to anything else.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 74 of 74