What Book are you reading now? (Other than Star Wars)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 106, 107, 108, 109, 110  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 7:30 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reading the Noah novelization.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 5:13 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished Shirley. I liked some of the subjects it dealt with, but they went nowhere slowly, so the less said on that book the better.

Now reading The Horse And His Boy.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Wizard's First Rule.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 8:00 am Reply with quote  

@Reep: they actually made a novelization of the movie Noah? Seems a little overkill making a novelization of a movie based on a book.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 9:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Wizard's First Rule.

Never point the wand at yourself?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 11:43 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Darth Skuldren wrote:
@Reep: they actually made a novelization of the movie Noah? Seems a little overkill making a novelization of a movie based on a book.

True, but my library didn't have the graphic novel.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Wizard's First Rule.

Never point the wand at yourself?

Laughing

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:11 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Re-reading A Song of Ice and Fire. I had gotten Game of Thrones seasons 1 and 2 from the library, and watching it got me interested in reading them again. Into A Clash of Kings now.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished The Horse and His Boy. I quite liked the girl, whose name I forget, as well as Bree and Hwin. Less impressed with Shasta, both his character and his story: as I've said before, I dislike prophecy stories, and the journey itself relied a little too heavily on coincidence for my liking. Beyond that, I thought it was really nice to see more of the Narnian world outside of, well, Narnia. It was ... interesting to see Archenland and Calormen. Also a little surprised that Narnia's a smaller country, comparatively. From my reading of the other books, I'd gained the impression that it was one of the larger countries. Although I suppose it does make sense, from a certain point of view.

Moving on: I've decided to give up my read-through of my classic book collection, the reason being that I have too many paperbooks that are taking up space.

Now reading The Magician's Nephew.

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 6:59 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Aravis is one of my favourite human characters. I like Shasta too, though I have to admit I find it a bit silly that he talks like an English schoolboy. It wouldn't feel like Narnia without a few "I say!"s etc. I suppose, but still. Speaking of language, I just love how the Pevensies talk in this story. I always have to read their dialogue out loud (assuming I'm alone Razz ).

I'm slowly making my way through the knight/Arthurian reading plan I mentioned a few pages ago. I'm now reading The History of the Kings of Britain by Geoffrey of Monmouth. I'm finding it surprisingly readable. I think I'll skip ahead and read Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles soon.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Now that you mention it, it was a bit weird. Doesn't really fit that a slave from Calormen would speak like a schoolboy.

I really hope that you do like the Warlord Chronicles, though no pressure if you don't Smile .

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished The Magician's Nephew. I quite enjoyed it. Have to be brief, though: I particularly liked the beginning. It felt much more natural than the other books. What I mean is, the way they got to Narnia felt more realistic, as the other books had no real reason for the kids to jump into Narnia at that specific point in time. It never really made sense - perhaps it was done in times of need, but that seems a little weak to me. But this time it felt wholly believable. However, contrast that to the birth of Narnia, which I didn't like. I don't really know what I was expecting, but I think I'd have preferred more to it. I was also surprised at how young Narnia apparently was. I'd had the impression it was much older.

But anyway, I did have an idea, that I'd like to share. I felt that Narnia, when young, was much smaller than in the 'later' books. So I think that, over time, the planet has been steadily growing. Perhaps if it had been given much more time to grow (I've read the first line of the next book, that doesn't sound likely) then perhaps it would have grown from a flat planet, into a round one.

Now reading The Last Battle. Which doesn't sound ominous at all.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 6:24 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life Is The Path wrote:
However, contrast that to the birth of Narnia, which I didn't like. I don't really know what I was expecting, but I think I'd have preferred more to it. I was also surprised at how young Narnia apparently was. I'd had the impression it was much older.

I thought it was strange that Narnia is so young too. The time difference between worlds can only account for so much because - according the timeline, by The Last Battle Narnia has only been around for 2555 years (warning: the timeline has LB spoilers!). I guess it's a minor detail and I don't think of it much when I'm reading, but for some reason I do wish Narnia was a older, a few thousand years at least.

Life Is The Path wrote:
But anyway, I did have an idea, that I'd like to share. I felt that Narnia, when young, was much smaller than in the 'later' books. So I think that, over time, the planet has been steadily growing. Perhaps if it had been given much more time to grow (I've read the first line of the next book, that doesn't sound likely) then perhaps it would have grown from a flat planet, into a round one.

I never got that sense. *shrugs*

Life Is The Path wrote:
Now reading The Last Battle. Which doesn't sound ominous at all.
Razz

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:24 am Reply with quote  

Reading an early ARC for The Scorched Earth by Drew Karpyshyn. Pretty good so far. This is the sequel to Children of Fire. Nice surprise at 1/3 the way in. However, I'm still having a hard time bonding with the central character Keegan. Thankfully he's not the only main character.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:48 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:

I never got that sense. *shrugs*

I was basing it on travel times for such journeys as From Archenland's capital to the Narnian border, flight time to the special tree in Magician's Nephew, and the Eustace, Polly and Puddlegum's journey in SC - but such things required a lot of guesswork, based on maps, and maths, which I'm terrible at, so I'm probably wrong.

Quote:
[...]according the timeline, by The Last Battle Narnia has only been around for 2555 years

Where can I find this timeline?

Finished The Last Battle. I kinda figured out what was going to happen so it wasn't a shock, and it wasn't as painful as it could have been going in blind, but still. Damn. That was really quite sad. I've nothing to add on that point except a low, incoherent wail/sob, so I'll move on.

I really, really liked the bad Narnians. As far as I gathered, up 'til that point Narnians had been a sort of uniform niceness (aside from the Witch's minions), which jarred me a little, so it was nice to see division in that aspect, and the ape* was quite an interesting character. But what I found to be very interesting was the dwarfs who wanted essentially emancipation from rule from the others. That was a nice little touch, and felt quite in character.

*One minor gripe that irritated me: in the narrative and by characters, he was often called a monkey. Apes and monkeys are not the same thing.

Though one thing that I didn't understand: when Narnia (the country) was conquered, why did the rest of the world come to an end? Even Archenland, Calormen and the lands to the north were destroyed. Unless I missed it, that wasn't explained in the book.

Aside from that, I felt the story was rather strong: the build up, the ploy by the ape, the using of the donkey (although another gripe, I feel donkeys often get the short end of the stick, not just in stories but in real life. They may seem slow witted, but from my own experience they never seemed any more or less witted than horses, cows etc.. I may be biased, though; I have happy memories of the donkey by the stream on a nearby farm), and the Calormene interference, as well as how the past heroes were brought into the story - that was done well.

But the main thing I quite liked was the end. I mean, not a particular part of it, but I liked the world within world part of it, and Lewis excelled in the writing of that part.

Now reading A Game of Thrones by George Rudolf Ricky Martin.

I don't think I'll be able to handle this.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 107 of 110