Old Republic Novels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Old Republic Novels
 PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:28 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Hello,

I am currently reading stories from after the OT but I'd like to get into the Old Republic novels soon or basically any of the books based before the prequels. What are the ones worth reading, besides Revan & Bane, I know those are good. I never played the Old Republic games so I'd like to see what those characters were all about. Also if there is a specific order I should read them please include that.

Thanks Everyone !

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 9:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Interesting question. I think they all have their merits.

Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void:

This is the only one I haven't read. I couldn't stand the main character and thus didn't get past the first couple chapters.

However, general consensus is that this is a great book.

TOR: Revan

Personally my favourite TOR book as it elaborates on Revan and the Exile in great detail.

However, general consensus seems to be against this book as they didn't like the portrayal of either.

TOR: Deceived

My opinion here matches the general consensus. Well done book, good protagonist, well done action. Really though, anything by Kemp is awesome.

Red Tide

Sith. Zombies. Never really got into it. Reviews are mixed. Depends on your own interests.

TOR: Fatal Alliance

I remember really enjoying this book when I read it, and certain minor details stick with me, but I forget the vast majority years later. Probably because I read it in like a 2 hour sitting. Don't know what the general opinion is. I advise reading it.

TOR: Annihilation

Might be worth reading the TOR comics first as this borrows significantly from some of the characters there. Overall though, my second favorite TOR book, and ranked by many as the best.

Knight Errant

Many people love LOVE LOVE this series. I am the opposite.

The Darth Bane Trilogy

Many people loathe LOATHE LOATHE this series. I am the opposite.

Basically - Annihilation and Fatal Alliance - universally loved. Everything else - depends on the reader.

my 2c

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:28 am Reply with quote  

Well Dawn of the Jedi: Into the Void is like pre-OT. It's in a class of it's own since it's the only novel in that time period. I liked it, though. Not sure if we'll ever get a sequel to it.

As for The Old Republic novels, there's Revan, Deceived, Red Harvest, Fatal Alliance and Annihilation. Order really doesn't matter much as they books very loosely tie into each other. You'd probably want to go with Fatal Alliance, Deceived, Red Harvest, Revan then Annihilation. Red Harvest is purely optional. It's very much the equivalent of a cheesy horror film. Fatal Alliance feels like a video game novelization with characters that are all reflections of the character classes.

Deceived is a nice book highlighting Darth Malgus, which I wish we got more of, and also has an angle following a Jedi and a smuggler I think (been a while since I've read it). Big plus for it is that is novelizes that awesome trailer of the Sith taking out the Jedi Temple.

Revan starts out by covering territory linked to the old KOTOR games, then finally links up to TOR and tells a bit of an endgame story for the Emperor, though you won't get the Emperor's fate unless you play the game. You could probably read this first since I think the events all take place prior to the game. My gripe with the book is the sad ending.

Annihilation should definitely be read after Deceived as it ties into it some. It's also post endgame TOR territory, so it's a good way to wrap up you read of the TOR period. I liked it a lot. It starred a spy who didn't have Force powers.

Post TOR, there's Knight Errant and the Bane Trilogy. These are some of my favorite Star Wars novels. I'd rank the third Bane book in my top five all time Star Wars novels. Knight Errant really impressed me, too. Both have lots of Sith villains.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 11:49 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Thanks !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1