What is your favorite EU novel?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 11:25 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Dark Rendezvous is probably my favourite, Star By Star a close 2nd.
F*** these chains
No damn slave
I will be different!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:21 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Caedus_16 wrote:
Dancelittleewok wrote:
Traitor. All other books shall not pass.

I'll second this. Its an incredible book and possibly the deepest, best written SW novel ever released.

Thats actually my most hated Star Wars book of all time, and the only NJO book I just didn't finish (I threw it down in disgust rather early, but I knew where it was going to go). I HATE NJO Jacen anyway (he was fine before then) and a whole book about just him and his stupidity is basically my worst nightmare from a EU book perspective.

As for my favorite, its probably Star Wars - Republic Commando: Triple Zero. Its hard to choose which RC book I like the best (I love all of them, even Imperial Commando which some people don't seem to like as much) but Triple Zero barely edges itself up as my favorite.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:03 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Werehunter wrote:
The X-wing books. All of them are so well written that I don't know which one of them to choose.

Yep Stackpole and Allston really did some great stuff. I did though prefer the Stack books because I loved the Horn story arc.

Haven't read Starfighters yet.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 9:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My favorite is Traitor, as I think it transcends being a Star Wars novel thematically speaking, and I recommend it to people as the one SW novel they should read. Beyond that, I suppose my top five is:

Traitor
Revenge of the Sith
Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
Specter of the Past
Vision of the Future

Removing Traitor from that list, I'd replace it with Shatterpoint.

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:01 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Niner wrote:

As for my favorite, its probably Star Wars - Republic Commando: Triple Zero. Its hard to choose which RC book I like the best (I love all of them, even Imperial Commando which some people don't seem to like as much) but Triple Zero barely edges itself up as my favorite.

I liked The Republic Commando books, but not anything past Triple Zero. After that, the constant anti-Jedi rhetoric harped on to the point where it was illogical especially after Kal accepted Jusik and Etain into their tribe. I get where the Mandos were coming from. Just wish it didn't saturate the entire series.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:39 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I didn't feel that way. Personally, I started seeing the Clone wars era jedi the same way Kal Skirata did after reading the series. In retrospect, most of them weren't very good people (not evil neccessarily, but not good people), and even the best ones tended to have their heads up their rear ends most of the time. I like Jedi, but its hard to defend any of the ones in the Clone Wars, atleast the most famous ones (and not counting ones like Etain or Jusik). Part of the reason they fell, I think, is because, like the Old Republic, they had been spiraling downward for awhile. Closing themselves off from stuff like interpersonal relationships (which the jedi in the past didn't do) and just their attitude in general helped lead to their end. I even think Jusik talked about stuff like this in the books. Its one reason I like the very old Republic Jedi (aka the KOTOR era) and Luke's Jedi much better then TCW era jedi. They aren't blinded by their unwillingness to deviate from a very specific way of acting, and they understand people better in general, since they don't hold themselves to some of the stupider things the Jedi of TCW did. They're exceptions in all groups, but as iconic as Obi-Wan is, as cool as Mace windu is (in concept), they were wiped out partially becuase of the way they were, and a lot of the time the way they acted was not right.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dancelittleewok wrote:
Niner wrote:

I liked The Republic Commando books, but not anything past Triple Zero. After that, the constant anti-Jedi rhetoric harped on to the point where it was illogical especially after Kal accepted Jusik and Etain into their tribe. I get where the Mandos were coming from. Just wish it didn't saturate the entire series.

I agree with your assessment, the difference is that I liked those things. I liked the fact that this other culture so deeply affected these two Jedi left the order and joined up.

But also, I read the first part of your post as "I liked this series. Except, y'know, the last 60% of it."

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:40 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I really liked The Han Solo trilogy. Reading a book(s) about beings that don't have special powers to manipulate things or events around them is quite refreshing. I also liked the Republic Commando books as well.

X-Wing
 PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:41 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

So far I have only read the first 4 books in the X-Wing series, but I would probably say book four. I so want to read I Jedi as I am a big Corran Horn fan, but figure I should at least get the Thrawn Trilogy done first. Is there any other books besides those that I should read before I Jedi?

Thanks!

Re: X-Wing
 PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

kermitthecelt wrote:
So far I have only read the first 4 books in the X-Wing series, but I would probably say book four. I so want to read I Jedi as I am a big Corran Horn fan, but figure I should at least get the Thrawn Trilogy done first. Is there any other books besides those that I should read before I Jedi?

Thanks!

Read the Jedi Academy Trilogy (Jedi Search, Dark Apprentice, and Champions of the Force) before you read I, Jedi. I, Jedi is like a companion novel to these, and it will make much more sense to read the trilogy first.

Before reading those, the Thrawn Trilogy and maybe even Dark Empire (graphic novel comprised of Dark Empire 1-6, Dark Empire II 1-6, and Empire's End 1-2, available in hardcover) might be recommended.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2014 6:37 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I love The Han Solo Trilogy books.

Follow me on Tumblr http://daniellong94.tumblr.com/

Follow me on Twitter @DanielLong94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:41 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I read so many books that I do not remember well all of them, pertaining liking the most. However A trilogy that I devoured and felt amazing was Darth Bane by Drew Karpyshyn.
I quite enjoy stories about Sith lords and the dark side

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:59 am Reply with quote  

Yeah, the Bane books were really good. Dynasty of Evil is one of my top 5 Star Wars books.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 2