Rock 'N' Roll Will Never Die

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rock 'N' Roll Will Never Die
 PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 9:44 am Reply with quote  

Dancelittleewok:
Quote:
Jack White is the new savior of rock 'n roll.

Caedus_16:
Quote:
YUUP! I don't think anyone else out there has what it takes to really fix music.

So I saw this in the 'What are you listening to right now' thread and it stuck with me. I'm a fan of Jack White, and I'm a fan of Rock 'n' Roll. Now when I think of Jack White, I think alternative rock, but rock is a brand genre, so he could be considered rock 'n' roll. Considering the overlapping genre of rock, do you think (and this is open to everyone) that it needs fixing? That it needs a new savior to keep it alive?

Personally, I don't think rock needs a new artist, I think what it needs is a new PR system. There are a lot of great bands out there, be they alternative, regular rock, or stuff I don't even know how to classify. The biggest problem I see is that radio stations suck. They either play the same old songs over and over or they play a select assortment of newer music over and over. There are a few stations that play a huge assortment of variety, but the variety is so huge that they end up playing more bad songs than good ones.

And ultimately, everyone has such distinct tastes in music that it's very hard to please the crowd.

The best thing I've found so far is Pandora Radio. Whatever it does to figure out what songs and artists to suggest, it's one of the best ways I've found to discover new music. The regular radio stations are about the worst outlet out there, and music channels are no better. I've never had much luck finding any good music websites.

Bouncing back to the statements that started this, in my opinion, Jack White certainly isn't the savior of rock 'n' roll. He does make some good music, and sometime some very weird music.

If forced to pick a savior for rock 'n' roll, I'm going to go with AC/DC. They ain't new, but they're still kicking and rockin. Plus there's a rumor they're working on a new album. For now, I say they're the ones keeping rock alive for me. When they're gone, I'll have to find some new saviors. Cool

Alright, rant off, feel free to chime in.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Honestly I think you're right about the PR. We have plenty of good artists between Jack White, My Chem, Wolfmother, The Black Keys, Cage the Elephant, Foo Fighters, and so on and so forth. What we don't have are enough people that truly care. People don't want smart, blasting, awesome rock as much anymore. They want dance music, they don't care what it says or what it stands for (which is why most of it is disgusting). A friend of my thinks that new song "You Don't Know That You're Beautiful" (translate to "Grow Some Freaking Self-Esteem" the song) is the best rock song out in years but she refuses to listen to actual rock music. Its about supply and demand and since hip-hop and pop now sell sex and style more than rock does we're getting that force-fed at us and bands like The Vines and The Hives are finding it hard to continue. Rock IS dying, but not as fast as some would have you believe.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 12:20 pm Reply with quote  

To be fair, I know quite a few people who listen to the "dance music", and they also listen to rock. One thing I've noticed lately is more and more people are listening to a variety of music rather than just one specific genre. I think that's a good move overall.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

A friend of mine stated that music is the same as food, and they all have their place. There's your meat and potatoes (AC/DC, Aerosmith, Van Halen, Wolfmother), your candies (Katy Perry, Black Eyed Peas, etc...), and your liquor (Brand New. That's is, just them, they cover that whole one on their own). Each has its place. I don't like dance music because I want my music to have substance and meaning, but rock wouldn't work in a club so it has its place and I can find it enjoyable there but at home I want meaning and substance (not to mention musicians who play actual instruments) so I can get more out of it. Just the way I think though, I know I'm a huge minority these days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:32 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Rock n Roll will never die! In my opinion ( note: My Opinion) I think today's music is pure garbage. ( Note: I am 20 years old) Best music of all time is Rock n Roll. I'm talking about Led Zeppelin, Rush, AC/DC, Styx, Van Halen, Foreigner, etc.

Follow me on Tumblr http://daniellong94.tumblr.com/

Follow me on Twitter @DanielLong94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 11:12 am Reply with quote  

I actually saw Foreigner in concert last month. First time I've ever been to one of their concerts. Was a lot of fun. I was real close too, only 11 rows from the stage. Opening act was Don Felder who was a member of The Eagles and played a bunch of their songs. Closing act was Styx. Of the three, Foreigner was the best. They put on a really good show.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:33 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Darth Skuldren wrote:
I actually saw Foreigner in concert last month. First time I've ever been to one of their concerts. Was a lot of fun. I was real close too, only 11 rows from the stage. Opening act was Don Felder who was a member of The Eagles and played a bunch of their songs. Closing act was Styx. Of the three, Foreigner was the best. They put on a really good show.

I saw Journey with Night Ranger and Foreigner. I have seen Bruce Springsteen.

Follow me on Tumblr http://daniellong94.tumblr.com/

Follow me on Twitter @DanielLong94

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 1 of 1