EUC Book Club: Splinter of the Mind's Eye
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Book Club Discussion View previous topic :: View next topic  
EUC Book Club: Splinter of the Mind's Eye
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We can always relocate if/when the Book Club forum becomes unlocked, but as promised, today is the first day of our book club. Our first book is...

Here's the schedule again (every Saturday will be the beginning of a new week):

Week 1: Chapters 1-3
Week 2: Discussion
Week 3: Chapters 4-6
Week 4: Discussion
Week 5: Chapters 7-9
Week 6: Discussion
Week 7: Chapters 10-12
Week 8: Discussion

I did some reading on Wookieepedia and Splinter of the Mind's Eye had interesting events surrounding its creation. I'm not sure how well known this is, so I thought I'd post it:

Wookieepedia wrote:
According to an interview with Foster in Empire magazine, the novel had been written to be filmed as a low-budget sequel as a fallback plan in case Star Wars hadn't been a huge success. This accounts for the book taking place almost entirely on a fog-shrouded planet. Additionally, Harrison Ford was not signed for the sequel as of the writing of the book, which is why Han Solo does not appear in it. Though Foster was granted a great amount of leniency in developing the story, one requirement was that a lot of props from Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope could be reused when filming the new story. According to Foster, Lucas' only request upon inspecting the manuscript was the removal of a dogfight in space undertaken by Luke and Leia before they crash-land on Mimban. Presumably, this sequence would have cost too much money to film.

Source: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Splinter_of_the_Mind's_Eye

Happy reading! See you in a week.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:58 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

So are we not allowed to discuss Splinter at all it until next Saturday? If we do discuss Splinter must it be under spoiler tags? Is there anything else we should or can post in this thread until then?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:22 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Ahhhh we went from agreeing on a book, to starting on it in 3 days?!? Not everyone (me) has Everrrrrrrrrrry SW book ready to roll on their book shelf. I'll order and play catch up I guess.......

I think no spoiler tags In here, there is date for each chapter, that makes for a spoiler tag enough.

Let's roll!!

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Sorry, 1337Jedi! I suggested Saturday as the start date in the previous thread and no one said otherwise, so I figured I'd go ahead and start this thread.

@papinacho: You can start discussing if you want, but may as well wait until next Saturday when everyone is caught up.

And, yeah, I don't think we need spoiler tags. Luke and Leia don't die. Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My thoughts on chapters 1-3:

I'm enjoying this book so far. It's been quite a while since I've read a Star Wars book, so it's basically rediscovering a neglected pleasure. I really like the lighter, adventurous tone to this book thus far, especially because most of the Star Wars books I had been reading before my hiatus (i.e. most of the newer ones, Darth Plagueis, Apocalypse and the like) have tended to be on the darker side and have taken themselves more seriously. In the chatbox Yoda compared it to an "old-school matinee serial" and I think that's a good description. I've always preferred Del Rey (i.e. NJO and beyond - I know this is technically a Del Rey book) to Bantam, but I suspect that I'll find a new appreciation for the Bantam era now that I'm getting back into Star Wars reading.

I also liked the eerie atmosphere in the first couple chapters before Luke and Leia find the Imperial compound. It may have been the stormy weather outside as I was reading, but I really got into the eeriness of crash landing on a mysterious, fog-covered planet.

The characterization of both Luke and Leia took me aback. Luke has been pretty gloomy so far, almost misanthropic. I thought this was out of character, but the reasons Foster gives are good ones - Luke recently had his aunt and uncle murdered and his mentor killed in front of him (not to mention the burden of killing thousands of people by blowing up the Death Star). It's just a Luke I usually think of as post-Shadows of Mindor or at least post-ESB.

Leia was stranger. She played the part of the aloof princess more than I'm used to. She was actually a bit snobby, like a fairy tale princess giving the love-struck peasant a hard time.

And speaking of which, how about that incestuous attraction! "Carefully he lowered himself in next to her. As he unlatched her seat he became conscious of the confined space they were working in. Awkwardly pressed up against him, the Princess seemed to take no notice of their proximity. In the dampness, though, her body heat was near palpable to Luke and he had to force himself to keep his attention on what he was doing." I know Foster couldn't have been been expected to know about the curveball Lucas was going to throw, but there's just so much of it! I cringe every time. Neutral

I was surprised the word "stang" was used on page four. I didn't think it was that old.

It will be interesting to see how many similarities this book will have with ESB without trodding on continuity by having the exact same thing happen twice, since this book was essentially the low-budget Plan B if the first Star Wars didn't do well. Mimban reminds me of Dagobah and there's a mysterious, slightly crazy Force user like Yoda.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 2:30 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Gotta say I'm enjoying this book quite a bit more than It thought I would. Unlike Zahn's early works, this book has avoided the excess movie quotes that took me out of the book. Of course, Splinter does use the old McGuffin trope but it's all in the execution and Foster executes the plot well; making it compelling.

I think the characterization of Luke is great: given how he is written as the every man that he was in ANH and that he is very relatable (probably because of our similar age). Leia was also written well, harkening back Episode 4, where she was angry at being rescued sloppily. I do think she's being slightly too cynical, considering the compassion she showed for Luke in ANH but she is done well overall.

I came on to this book with the idea in my head that Luke and Leia weren't brother and sister so the scenes with Luke crushing on her actually appealed to me. I think it's partially because of how easy Foster makes it to put yourself in Luke's shoes and partially because I'm around as old and I can remember how it feels to be infatuated with a girl.

Too mention some other negatives, the begging felt a bit slow and as is the case in many books the dialogue felt a bit too fancy.

Finally if someone could explain to me what
Quote:
“Well?” she asked, obviously not enthralled with her new wardrobe. “What are you staring at?”
“I think maybe something in a print …” he began. He had to react quickly to duck the boot she threw at him.
this joke is all about that would be great.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 10:14 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I have this book, I think I actually have several copies, but they're at my parents' house! I will try to get it this week and catch up.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:51 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm still waiting on a copy from the library, but I did get the graphic novel version there, so I'll try to keep up using that until I get the actual book.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 12:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Should we go on a temporary hold? Mara, GrandMaster, and 1337Jedi are all waiting on copies. Guess I should have given more warning before starting. Sorry guys.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:30 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

No worries, Reep! I was at my parents' house last week and completely forgot to grab the book. But I will have it by Thursday. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:31 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Hi

I would be very interested in joining this book club. This is the first time I heard about this book, so I am kind of thrilled to read it.
I ordered my copy today, and should need around one week to have it delivered.
So I will catch up soon enough

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:39 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Welcome, so glad to have you! Splinter is one of the first Star Wars books published, and it really is a great read. It deviates from the tone most other novels follow, but I think it's a wonderful book, considering.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Those who have read should feel free to talk, but maybe we give a bit more time for others to get their copies (maybe push back the start of the next few chapters by a week or so)?

Anyways, my thoughts:

It's been awhile since I read this, and I remember not caring for it much, but it's possible that I was judging it in comparison to the more serious and impactful books I was reading at the time. By itself, I agree with Reep that it has a lighter tone that's a bit more fun and adventurous.

I like that Luke is aware of the Force, and can touch it a bit, but has zero training. Still, he can sense the effects of the Kaiburr Crystal, and he can sense that Halla is a Force-user (it's cool to see a Force-user that isn't Obi-Wan so close to the beginning of the saga).

This early I don't have much else to say. I love the world that Alan Dean Foster has built (he describes it well).

And oh, my, the sexual tension between Luke and Leia (particularly on Luke's side). He has fallen hard. I laugh knowing the outcome, but in 1978, it was a fair and logical assumption that he's continue liking/loving/lusting after Leia. What got me uncomfortable was the degree for which Luke was attracted. At one point, he considers kissing her while she's asleep, and he's pretty tempted, and I'm all "NO! Not okay!" And then Luke wonders why Leia is uncomfortable changing in front of him at the Imperial base. But I do like their relationship otherwise, like their banter and the fun they appear to have in making Leia appear more miner-like.

Looking forward to chatting, and reading more Smile.

Also, I was happy to remember that my copy of Splinter of the Mind's Eye is a first edition I picked up on the cheap from Value Village. It isn't in great shape (and indeed some of the ink is worn), but it's cool to read something that's old and original.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:25 am Reply with quote  

@papinacho: what "old McGuffin trope" are you referring to? And in regards to that quote, I think Luke is hinting at pin-ups.

@Reep: I also was surprised to see the word "stang". I guess Foster invented that one because I don't think they used it in the movies, did they?

As for the Luke/Leia relationship, I've been taking notes. It's just too funny and awkward to pass up.

"whenever he looked at her, the other caused emotions to boil with in him like soup too long on the fire..."

"Even when bothered, to him that voice was as naturally sweet and pleasing as sugar-laden fruit."

"In the dampness, though, her body heat was near palpable to Luke and he had to force himself to keep his attention on what he was doing."

"They trudged on, Luke stealing admiring glances at her when she wasn't looking."

"Moistly parted in sleep, her lips seemed to beckon to him."

This is the first time I've read this book, and only three chapters in now, I'm wondering how much farther this attraction will go Laughing

That aside, Leia's portrayal is a little off putting. She isn't very self-sufficient or world-weary. Luke is the one with all the bright ideas and leading the way. She's very much a helpless character in need of Luke to save her, which isn't how A New Hope went. Leia is more of a person who needs some help, but has enough resourcefulness that she can help herself the rest of the way.

Of these first three chapters, the moment that got me was when Luke slapped Leia. I laughed out loud as it was such a bizzaro thing to do. It wasn't so much funny that Luke slapped Leia, but that Alan Dean Foster was crazy enough to write that. I'm pretty sure that if Leia were written in character, she would have kicked Luke between the legs for that one.

Other Notes:
*What are tracoms?
*Has Mimban or Circarous been used elsewhere in the EU?
*Foster use of real world things: camels, cotton, concrete
*how funny is the saying "like a crippled camel in a sandstorm"?
Words I had to look up: farrago, replonza, inimical, seriocomic, vitreous
*Plus - Leia almost shot Luke! That would have been a perfect point for a Infinities story.

Final thoughts: I like how chapter 3 ends with a cliff hanger moment of suspense. Will the group of miners attack Luke and Leia? How will Halla help them?

Also, nice connections there with Dagobah and Mimban, Yoda and Halla.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Skuldren: I remembered hearing about Mimban in other EU sources, but not many.

There was reference to fighting on Mimban during the Clone Wars (in the episode "Rookies"). The Republic radio station dedicated their next song to the troops fighting on Mimban.

I did a quick search, and it was also apparently in a Dark Times comic, but I don't remember that.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Book Club Discussion

Page 1 of 3