Avatar: The Last Airbender and Korra Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:18 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Bolin and Pabu can stay!

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I'm a bit surprised this season was as "epic" as it was. You would think they would want to save that for the final season.

My thoughts exactly. It's a common fantasy/ super hero concept that they have to constantly ramp up the threat in order to sustain conflict and it pretty much without fail ends up leading to flat characters and predictability.

The show maintains scraping by on adequacy ensuring that I will continue to watch it. I have to be honest and admit that it's only because this is an Avatar show that I watch it. If it was a stand alone series with out the existence of Last Airbender/Legend of AAng, I couldn't care less about it.
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Queen Padmè Skywalker wrote:
Bolin and Pabu can stay!

Yeah, Bolin is the best of the three secondary characters. Pabu's pretty good too. Razz

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
My thoughts exactly. It's a common fantasy/ super hero concept that they have to constantly ramp up the threat in order to sustain conflict and it pretty much without fail ends up leading to flat characters and predictability.

I really liked how the threat in the first season was relatively minor compared with the threat in Avatar: The Last Airbender, because it makes sense that not every Avatar would have to save the world like Aang did. The giant Unalaq was... Neutral

On a more positive note, the animation was gorgeous this season. And even though I felt it all got too "extreme" at the end, I really enjoyed the spirits in this season.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm re-watching the original series. I forgot just how awesome this show was.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:01 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Zuko's still got it.

I'm often weary of seeing beloved characters when they're old, but old Zuko looks pretty cool. And he rides a freaking dragon! Cool

I just wonder if they'll bring back Dante Basco to voice him. As much as I would want them to, it would be strange having the same voice coming from two characters in the same series. Then again, it was strange enough when Zuko's voice came out of General Iroh.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:46 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

I kind of doubt they'll use Basco, seeing as they recast the voices of adult Toph, Aang, and Sokka for absolutely no reason, seeing as the original actors are grown now.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 6:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I thought the first three episodes were pretty good. The villains intrigue me, especially the new airbender. I thought it was odd that he was able to defeat the White Lotus guards so easily without any airbending training though. He seems to be familiar with the Air Nomads, so maybe there's an explanation. I hope we'll be seeing lots of Zuko this season. I love that he's retired from being the Firelord and is with the White Lotus. Oh - and if given the chance, I would so become an Air Nomad. What's wrong with these people? Razz

It should be an interesting season for me, because I usually hate change though reluctantly acknowledge that this is something I need to get over.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I haven't seen the third episode yet, but I have to say I'm quite bewildered by this season. I wasn't a fan of the concept of uniting the spirit world with the human one and I still don't care for it. It gives the show a very odd tone, to me. However, the characters are still likable enough for me to stick with it (barring Korra's insistence that everyone should just accept the now fundamentally altered world, as well as her and Asami's baffling acceptance of Mako after he royally screwed with both of them in seasons past). I'm hoping Zuko will have a large part to play in the plot because I need more of him and his kickin' awesome dragon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 7:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I haven't seen the third episode yet, but I have to say I'm quite bewildered by this season. I wasn't a fan of the concept of uniting the spirit world with the human one and I still don't care for it. It gives the show a very odd tone, to me.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that either. I need to rewatch Season 2, but I don't understand why Korra did it. I don't see what the problem with having the physical world and the spiritual world existing separately. It's like Korra just did it for kicks. Change for the sake of change. The other thing that really got me was the connection to the past Avatars being severed. That really sucked. I really hope the connection will be re-established, but the way things are going, I don't think that's likely.

Basically, I enjoyed both seasons until the end. The finales were bad for both seasons. I do want to give this show the benefit of the doubt until all four seasons are complete though.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:31 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oops, was in the wrong thread.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

Last edited by Mara Jade Skywalker on Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, is the new season on now?
The absurd man thus catches sight of a burning and frigid, transparent and limited universe in which nothing is possible but everything is given, and beyond which all is collapse and nothingness. He can then decide to accept such a universe and draw from it his strength, his refusal to hope, and the unyielding evidence of a life without consolation.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:23 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
I haven't seen the third episode yet, but I have to say I'm quite bewildered by this season. I wasn't a fan of the concept of uniting the spirit world with the human one and I still don't care for it. It gives the show a very odd tone, to me.

Yeah, I wasn't a fan of that either. I need to rewatch Season 2, but I don't understand why Korra did it. I don't see what the problem with having the physical world and the spiritual world existing separately. It's like Korra just did it for kicks. Change for the sake of change. The other thing that really got me was the connection to the past Avatars being severed. That really sucked. I really hope the connection will be re-established, but the way things are going, I don't think that's likely.

Basically, I enjoyed both seasons until the end. The finales were bad for both seasons. I do want to give this show the benefit of the doubt until all four seasons are complete though.

I agree completely. I don't see any justification for merging the worlds, either. I'm also sad they choose to sever the Avatar connection. It's almost like they want to cut ties to the original series, when really they could stand to take a little more influence from it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:26 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I like that this season can slow down and have some character-based episodes, because I felt like the past two seasons were a bit too plot heavy. I'm also loving the villains. The earthbending guy is pretty unexceptional at this point, but the other three are awesome. I'm still in shock that the Earth Queen ate Bosco though! Shocked

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:05 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Just finished watching the first season. I really liked the new setting. Staying in the same period would've felt redundant, and advancing the technology opened new questions about the bending that I didn't think of before. Surprisingly, my major complaint lies in the characters, because that was a huge strength in the original series. And by characters, I really mean Amon. He could've been a major villain. He had a moral point that hadn't been explored at all. Instead, he was neutered by a typical trope twist. That said, I'm looking forward to the second season, hoping it lives up to the awesomeness of the original.

Oh, and...

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Totally agree. Characters are the biggest weakness of the new series. The Amon reveal felt like a big letdown when I first saw it and I still don't like it. I also didn't like the ideological conflict of the show wasn't resolved. Like you said, Amon had a point. Exposing Amon as a fraud and crushing the Equalist movement wasn't enough for the Avatar to do. The non-benders complaints haven't been answered. Do we expect them to just go away or be cowed into submission?

I actually really liked the first season of Korra, but hey didn't know how to end it.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 18 of 21