What Bantam Books are most important to the ongoing EU Story
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 5:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

LotF and FotJ started out with some promise, but both puttered out by about book three of their respective cycles. Characterization was inconsistent and illogical and the switching between multiple authors, something that worked well in the NJO, only served to make the plotlines muddled.

Alan, as far as I recall, Mercy Kill managed to get by without too much reference to the events of FoTJ.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm afraid I don't understand the list. I thought you were going for "essential," but there's a lot of nonessential stuff in there.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
I'm afraid I don't understand the list. I thought you were going for "essential," but there's a lot of nonessential stuff in there.

What would you recommend I drop, then? I do want input, so if you have any suggestions, please tell me.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:

What would you recommend I drop, then? I do want input, so if you have any suggestions, please tell me.

It depends heavily on your definition of "essential". If you mean "good," then this is a great list. But if you mean "meaningful to the overall Star Wars EU experience, then it is way too big, in my view.

In particular, you've included the Lost Tribe of the Sith. This is only essential IF you're also listing Fate of the Jedi series, which you've opted not to. And even then, they're fun background, but barely "essential" even if you included FOTJ.

Your list below, with my deletions in red, and any additions in blue. I've also opted to clarify some titles (because the average newcomer may not recognize all of these).

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Noting that you stop on The Unifying Force, I refrain from adding what comes later. Though I would argue that Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi, and Legacy are essential and should be included.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:

It depends heavily on your definition of "essential". If you mean "good," then this is a great list. But if you mean "meaningful to the overall Star Wars EU experience, then it is way too big, in my view.

In particular, you've included the Lost Tribe of the Sith. This is only essential IF you're also listing Fate of the Jedi series, which you've opted not to. And even then, they're fun background, but barely "essential" even if you included FOTJ.

Your list below, with my deletions in red, and any additions in blue. I've also opted to clarify some titles (because the average newcomer may not recognize all of these).

Noting that you stop on The Unifying Force, I refrain from adding what comes later. Though I would argue that Legacy of the Force, Fate of the Jedi, and Legacy are essential and should be included.

Thanks. The reason I haven't included many video games is because only a small number are available for PC. I don't have the money to shell out for an Xbox, Playstation, ect. so it has to be PC games. That's why I didn't include Starfighter - I know it's available for PC, but Jedi Starfighter is not, and if I can't buy JS, then is it really worth it to buy Starfighter alone?

Good catch on Rebellion: Crossroads. Can't believe I missed it.

The large bulk of young readers isn't essential, true, but I included JQ and JA since the Darth Bane to TPM era and especially TPM to AOTC are pretty bare otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 11:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:
Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Taral-DLOS wrote:

Thanks. The reason I haven't included many video games is because only a small number are available for PC. I don't have the money to shell out for an Xbox, Playstation, ect. so it has to be PC games. That's why I didn't include Starfighter - I know it's available for PC, but Jedi Starfighter is not, and if I can't buy JS, then is it really worth it to buy Starfighter alone?

Good catch on Rebellion: Crossroads. Can't believe I missed it.

The large bulk of young readers isn't essential, true, but I included JQ and JA since the Darth Bane to TPM era and especially TPM to AOTC are pretty bare otherwise.

OK, you've just clarified an important point that I might've missed before: this is an essential reading list for you. I thought you were going for essential reading/consuming list for everyone.

I've added a few items in now, including some games that are a bit more on the essential side.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was browsing one of the threads on TF.N's Lit forum today and came across this list of Star Wars material compiled by an anonymous poster. What's really interesting is where this guy's personal list ends, and he seems to have made a point of mostly including works that tie directly in to the films or else receive substantial nods in other works, as in the case of post ROTJ material, with only a few (like Allegiance/Choices of One) that aren't really referenced in later material. He also appears to have skipped all of the TCW material and most works that contain references to it except for Darth Plagueis.

Seems to be a fairly good list, especially if he's ending with JJK/YJK.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 4