What EU Book Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 144, 145, 146  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 2:40 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For instance, starting off with the Thrawn Trilogy makes Outbound Flight and Survivor's Quest absolutely essential. The ROTS film makes Labyrinth of Evil essential, and the latter the same for Dark Rendezvous, Jedi Trial, and The Cestus Deception.

The Cestus Deception isn't essential. It's crappy. Razz

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:18 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

YodaBauer2442 wrote:
For instance, starting off with the Thrawn Trilogy makes Outbound Flight and Survivor's Quest absolutely essential. The ROTS film makes Labyrinth of Evil essential, and the latter the same for Dark Rendezvous, Jedi Trial, and The Cestus Deception.

Yeah, The Cestus Deception doesn't add anything at all and can very easily be skipped.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:
YodaBauer2442 wrote:

Yeah, The Cestus Deception doesn't add anything at all and can very easily be skipped.

Jedi Trial is somewhat essential though, as it is an important and describes some cool facets of the Clone Wars that we never see elsewhere.

Yoda: Dark Rendezvous is not essential in the slightest, but it is very cool. Its point-of-view focusses heavily on younglings and Padawans, and shows facets of Jedi training we don't see elsewhere. But essential? No, I don't think so.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:17 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Click here to see the hidden message (It might contain spoilers)

Agree/disagree? Can anything be added? Basically, what I'm driving at by asking for input is this: As I said yesterday, I'm scaling back on my EU purchases. I can't buy it all, I'll certainly never be able to read/play it all, and there's so many glaring continuity problems that I don't want to end up with my head spinning. I would rather go for the good essential stuff.

Dawn of the Jedi is so isolated and came so late in the game that I'd as soon skip it entirely. Ditto the Empire and Rebellion books. I've tried to give The Clone Wars a chance, but its flaws **** me off so much that I don't care about any TCW material or any works, like FOTJ, that work elements from the show in.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:

Agree/disagree? Can anything be added? Basically, what I'm driving at by asking for input is this: As I said yesterday, I'm scaling back on my EU purchases. I can't buy it all, I'll certainly never be able to read/play it all, and there's so many glaring continuity problems that I don't want to end up with my head spinning. I would rather go for the good essential stuff.

Dawn of the Jedi is so isolated and came so late in the game that I'd as soon skip it entirely. Ditto the Empire and Rebellion books. I've tried to give The Clone Wars a chance, but its flaws **** me off so much that I don't care about any TCW material or any works, like FOTJ, that work elements from the show in.

Are those what you have, or what you need?

FOTJ barely works in any TCW elements, really just mentions Mortis in book 9, so you really don't need to worry about that.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

GrandMaster wrote:

FOTJ barely works in any TCW elements, really just mentions Mortis in book 9, so you really don't need to worry about that.

Lol if I remember right it incorporated the entirety of the villainess into it, creating a backstory that all tied in and then setting up for a big tie-in novel that never happened because the EU got cancelled, but I remember the tie-in being rather significant.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Mother/Abaloth was not mentioned in Mortis/TCW. That's a retcon, so FOTJ really isn't crucial to any Clone Wars storywise.

It depends on what qualifies as "essential". Do you mean best books or books that share continuity?

We did an essential continuity thread some time ago, but I found that it almost never matters in SW EU outside of books in the same series. Nearly every mention of something from another book is trivial to the plot, or if it is important to the plot it's summarized into the current context, so you don't really even need to have read the original source to understand it.

I mean you can't exactly start off reading Dark Nest and expect to understand every thing that is mentioned, but you also won't miss much if you read every book in the NJO expect Agent's of Chaos part 2, for example.

Personally I've never read the Corellian trilogy, but I know what the deal is with Centerpoint from the books I did read in NJO and Legacy.
They have taken the hearts and minds of our leaders. They have recruited the rich and the powerful, and they have blinded us to the truth! Our human spirit is corrupted. Why do we worship greed? Because, outside the limit of our sight, feeding off us, perched on top of us from birth to death are OUR OWNERS. They have us! They control us! They are our masters! Wake up! They’re all about you, all around you!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:21 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

OMG The Star Wars is the weirdest <expletive> I've ever read, and I've read The Crystal Star.

Communications Coordinator at EUCantina.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:56 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The Mother/Abaloth was not mentioned in Mortis/TCW. That's a retcon, so FOTJ really isn't crucial to any Clone Wars storywise.

I've never gotten around to FotJ, honestly never finished NJO. But I read the Wookiee article about Abeloth because I was curious what she even was and it was some of the weirdest crap I'd attempted to understand. Granted, I think the Darth Bane novels are incredible but if I tried to explain that fight between Bane and Zannah I'd sound like a crazy person. So maybe it was better in context. But as a lover of the Mortis trilogy I am so glad that Abeloth is no longer canon.

"WHERE'S THE FIRE?! I've always loved that expression, which is curious since my lab assistant was killed in a fire."
- Walter Bishop

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 7:22 pm Reply with quote  

I recently read Goodnight Darth Vader by Jeffrey Brown. Fair warning, this is a straight up bedtime book for kids. The artwork is really nice, though. But reading wise, there's nothing to it for adults.

Also read Jedi Academy: Return of the Padawan by Jeffrey Brown. Very fun read. Yes, it's meant for younger readers, but it has a lot of humor that still works for adults.

And I started reading the Star Wars Rebels Visual Guide. About halfway through. First part feels really kiddish. But I'm in the vehicle section now, and it's kinda cool.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Finished A Dance With Dragons. I quite liked it. *Dances off to read ALL the spoilers and links that I wanted to click but couldn't*

Now reading Kenobi.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:18 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Ok, so I've read the "Son of Dathomir" comics and now I'm listening to "A New Dawn". I think I'm going to try to keep up with the new canon...at least for a while. I don't know, if they completely screw up post-RotJ for me then I'll just pull away from SW altogether. But, for now, I'm reading the stories going forward.

That said, I'm only into chapter 2 of AND. I'm listening to the audio in my car as I drive to/from work. Interestingly, I had an idea after hearing chapter 1. I'll put it in Spoiler mode just in case...

Those who have read it...what do you think?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 4:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It's awfully tempting to give the new canon a try. I've never been caught up (or anywhere close) with Star Wars canon and if I read/watch everything that comes out now, I'll actually be able to stay caught up. I suppose if I don't have to pay for the books, I'd be open to giving it a shot. We'll see.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:28 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

I'm all too happy to follow the new canon, although I don't think I will buy any of the books just yet. I've developed an aversion to hardbacks, so must wait for the paperbacks.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:36 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll be checking out much/most of the new canon. I want to ensure that I have the capability of watching Rebels before I buy A New Dawn (I'm not sure where online I'll be able to watch it; if Teletoon will be showing full episodes on its website, for example).

But I think I'll be buying Tarkin and the other novels, and I plan to try the three Marvel comics series.

The novels I'll buy on Amazon though, or I'll wait for paperbacks, just to keep the price down.

-Sparks Nevada, Marshal on Mars

"Who cares what evil lurks in the hearts of men!"
"Unless evil's carrying the Martini tray, darling."
-Frank and Sadie Doyle

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 145 of 146