Fan Canon Club

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fan Canon Club
 PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:12 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I know most of us hard core fans have been shaken up by Disney's "reboot". When Disney announced that all EU was to be thrown out the window I felt rejected like many of you. I couldn't shake the feeling that my entire book collection that I had invested time and money into was suddenly meaningless.

When Disney took over in 2012 I knew big changes were coming. I sensed the imminent reboot and stopped reading the books altogether. I made the decision to take a break, hang back, and watch how things evolve. After collecting the books for 20 years I wasn't ready to just throw them away.

Well I have to admit that the second trailer for EPVII has injected me with a sense of excitement for Star Wars that I haven't felt since before the release of EPIII. My break from the books has given me some perspective. I find that I'm not upset with Disney anymore. As a matter of fact I'm actually thrilled that much of the Old EU is no longer part of the continuity. Books like the Crystal Star, Children of the Jedi, Truce at Bakura, Force Unleashed should never have been written to begin with, IMO. Disney is now doing what I wanted Lucas to do all along and that is to make everything into one giant seemless saga. But unfortunately some of the quality EU has to be ignored...or does it?

The Fan Canon Club. What I am suggesting is why don't we, the fans, decide what should be included and what shouldn't be? Of course there has to be rules.

Rule 1: If a new story contradicts with an Old EU story then the Old EU story needs to be discarded. No matter how good it is. Example: Thrawn Trilogy goes bye, bye and will now be part of the alternate timeline.

Rule 2: discard anything that is obviously silly or that doesn't make any real sense in the overall saga. Such as the old Marvel series or children's books.

What to discard at face value: everything after ROTJ. Most likely everything during the Original Trilogy.

What to keep for now: TOR. Most everything that takes place around the Prequels. I will respond with specifics later.

Let me know what you think?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I feel and agree with your transition from dark hatred of our new overlords (Disney), to a mildly enthused and excited feeling. I too felt that way about my "useless" book shelf, which I now look at as a collection rather than the hobby...... But with out being to drab.....it's gone partner! All of it lol. If our overlords cared at all about what "hardcore" fans wanted they could have bent alittle, the voice was out there, save our eu boards and protests were everywhere! We lost, I'm done fighting the fight. They were right that there is no balance, keep some, give some it all had to go, or els Jj had to cast a leading lady with red hair, try to explain to the world where the hell Chewie is. Can't blame someone who just spent 4 billion dollars for not wanting the heavy baggage that comes with it.......

Is this a bot? Did I just reply to a bot?

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:29 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

1) So, in spite of 20 years of faith in EU canon having been burned down around you, you have already bought into the lie that the NU will be all-inclusive and canonical?

2) I can't figure out if the point of this thread is to determine what Legends material can still fit with the NU, or to try and create consensus on headcanon. The last one is oxymoronic: Headcanon is headcanon cause it is unique to the individual.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:53 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

@DarthMRN: my frustrations with the old EU has been going on almost since the beginning. An example is the ever changing back story of Boba Fett. Some of the books just didn't quite fit into my vision of Star Wars. The EU has been hit and miss for me. I wouldn't say I bought into a lie. All I'm saying is that life is short and I'm being optimistic until Disney proves me wrong. At least from my perspective there seems to be an honest attempt by Disney to create better continuity even if it means they are just being control freaks. Actually I'm finding this reboot a bit refreshing. This doesn't mean I wouldn't have loved to have seen the Thrawn Trilogy turned into a movie. I wanted most of the books to be movies! In a sense that's what Disney is doing with this one movie per year approach. They just happen to be new stories.

The point of this thread is to determine which Legends material still makes sense in the grand scheme. My primary interest is the overall story arc from EPI to EPforever. This is just an attempt by me to figure out what books are most important and to salvage a hobby that I have always loved. I see no reason why the fans can't have a consesus.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I doubt that Disney is going to keep anything as canon that is not a property that they own the rights to, such as TOR.

For now everything pre OT should remain in defacto continuity just because there isn't anything that has been created yet that conflicts with it in the timeline.

In fact, I'm not really sure that will ever change. The Old Republic is an artifact of the EU, I don't see why Disney would feel the need to "replace" or put in place something that is not really part of Star Wars to them.

The Old Republic timeline was only created out of a desire to create new content that didn't interfere with ongoing projects and because the PT timeline was held off limits by Lucas until he made the movies. It's not a given that it will continue to be a part of the Star Wars Universe.

To Disney, just as it's always truly been to Lucas, Star Wars is a film series. Their milieu is the ST just because movies are the primary media, and it allows them to use the OT intellectual property and bankable actors while at the same time giving them free reign on creating original content.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:47 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That said, Kylo Ren looking like he does strongly indicates they are aware of the Old Republic era and its potential.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 7:44 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

In the short term I don't expect Disney to touch it. But in the long term I expect the tentacles of the new canon to intrude into all time periods. It's just a matter of time. I won't be surprised if some discussion comes up in one of the new movies about ancient Jedi or Sith history that turns everything upside down. I always knew the midiclorians were an ancient parasitic race of tiny force users.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:11 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I have this anecdote I love where as a kid, my brother thought Yoda was an overgrown midi-chlorian.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:05 pm Reply with quote  

Crystal Star needs to be canon. There can be no Star Wars without Waru. Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:15 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Exactly! Perfect example of an author taking too many liberties. When I read stories like this it makes me cringe. So far I'm happy with the way Disney is making sure everything that is written has meaning. I didn't used to collect the comics and now I'm just as excited about the comics as I'm am the books. As soon as I get caught up on all of the new canon my plan is to sift through the old material and try to make sense of everything. Then create a new timeline.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1