SW Literature for remainder of 2017
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Bow to the Disney overlords. Our beloved EU is well and truly lost. *dramatic wailing*

Disclaimer: While sarcasm intended, sentiment remains genuine.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Does anyone remember back when they announced "Legends" and introduced the Story Group? They said that, with the SG, we'd get much better continuity between all mediums. I, for one, was at least happy about that, and remained hopeful that we'd get some of our EU back. Actually, we have gotten a lot of EU back...just not the parts that most of us really wanted - the characters. With Thrawn comes the bit of hope that we may get more EU characters back. Here's to hope.

That said, has anyone noticed how there is now a push to ignore continuity? Like before, their argument is DC and Marvel comics and other Sci-fi literature that don't maintain a story continuity. Instead, they believe it allows "creative freedom" to the writers to ditch continuity, or at least only hold on to it with a very loose grip. I think the upcoming Luke book is a step in that direction. Also, I think the new writer Marvel got for their SW ongoing was/is...anti-continuity...so to speak. Or do I have that wrong? IDK

For me, I see several things happening with SW that are just turning me off. Perhaps its just that, as a late-40's married conservative christian empty-nester heterosexual caucasian male who cares about story continuity, I'm no longer a member of the target audience for SW content. *shrug* Se la vie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I think you've got a point there. Typically those who read scifi novels are of a slightly different demographic than the average blockbuster movie goer.

But hasn't SW always had a kind of odd compartmentalization? The movies, even the Disney ones, are adult in tone, but they are marketed through merchandising towards children.

The philosophical/spiritual/religious, whatever you want to call it, element of SW distinguishes it from other "hard" scifi. That hasn't really been explored in any of the movies, but it has been in the books and that is what I miss the most.

Traitor is my favorite book in the series and I think it blows even the OT out of the water.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:
Actually, we have gotten a lot of EU back...just not the parts that most of us really wanted - the characters. With Thrawn comes the bit of hope that we may get more EU characters back. Here's to hope.

This is true. It's cool that things like refreshers and caf are canon now, but the characters are what I really miss from the EU. I remember when Daisy Ridley was cast, I was really hoping she was going to be playing Jaina Solo. The situation may be way different from what it was in the books, but at least we would have the character. Alas...

Skywalker2B wrote:
That said, has anyone noticed how there is now a push to ignore continuity?

I have only read A New Dawn and a couple comics in the new canon, so I don't know much about this. I know the new EU is pretty light-weight stuff generally - just filler and supplemental stuff that doesn't add anything significant to the mythology - but when you say "ignore continuity", what do you mean by that? Is there contradictions in the new stuff or is there just no sense of collaboration between writers to create a shared universe?

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd be grateful for some examples about how the new canon EU is anti-continuity. Everything seemed to work well in what I've seen. But I've not read everything.

I did notice or hear about small things (I understand one book mentioned that no Star Destroyer had ever been taken over by Rebels before, and a different book featured such a takeover, for example). But smaller things like that I don't think I care much about.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:35 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dunno if anyone else has heard this, but I just found out (on TF.N of all places) that the TLJ novelization has been pushed back to March 2018 and there will be no more short stories published in Star Wars Insider for the foreseeable future.

It's good that about half of the canon Insider SS have been reprinted in paperbacks, but I wish they have done all of them like that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 7:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Dunno if anyone else has heard this, but I just found out (on TF.N of all places) that the TLJ novelization has been pushed back to March 2018 and there will be no more short stories published in Star Wars Insider for the foreseeable future.

It's good that about half of the canon Insider SS have been reprinted in paperbacks, but I wish they have done all of them like that.

I totally disagree with the benefits of putting the Insider stories into the paperbacks.

One person pays $30 for one story. The next person waits a year and pays $10 for two. I wanted a quality product and paid a lot for it, I feel like they shouldn't punish me by making me also buy the paperback if I want the short story.

Alternatively, I think they should put out an anthology of the short stories. I'd buy that.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 1:29 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I can't really give examples of "ignoring continuity" because I've essentially stopped reading the comics completely about a year ago, and have only read Catalyst and Thrawn within that same time. As I stated before, I'm losing interest...for the reasons I listed here and in other threads.

However, my comments were based on various snippets I've seen/read from the TLJ magazine articles and things being said on Twitter and other social media by SG members. They were questioning the need to keep an ongoing continuity in favor of following more of a Marvel/DC/comics model of playing loose with continuity in order to allow the content creators more "creative freedom" to tell "good stories". So, apparently, it's too hard to create good stories while maintaining continuity. pfft Again, it's that mentality that is really turning me off on SW.

And, maybe it's just the podcasts and other sources that I am exposed to, but it seems that there is an effort to just get rid of SW literature altogther because...well...reading is hard (read in a whiny voice). Wink No, seriously, I'm hearing things like that because fans these days only want to ingest SW through video mediums (movies and/or TV). Since we're not really getting any "meaty" stories in the books...and probably the comics too...it looks like LFL agrees somewhat with those anti-reading fans. I mean, why tell a story in book form when you could do it in a tv show or a movie, right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 2 of 2