Rian Johnson to do a new trilogy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rian Johnson to do a new trilogy
 PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:52 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

http://www.starwars.com/news/rian-johnson-writer-director-of-star-wars-the-last-jedi-to-create-all-new-star-wars-trilogy

I don't see anyone here talking about this. So far I've listened to several SW related podcasts and numerous social media comments from fans speculating about these new movies. They all have one thing in common...they all are based on the "when" or "era" in which those movies will take place. However, if you look at the announcement it says:

"In shepherding this new trilogy, which is separate from the episodic Skywalker saga, Johnson will introduce new characters from a corner of the galaxy that Star Wars lore has never before explored."

...from a corner of the galaxy... That implies a location, not a time. So, where in the SW galaxy has existing "lore" NOT explored? The Unknown Regions. Sure, they've been mentioned, but I can't think of any story that actually explored that region.

So, let's also look at how that could fit in with everything LFL has been telling us up to now and what has happened in the current canon.

We know that Palpatine had concerns about something in the Unknown Regions. And, I haven't read the 3rd Aftermath book, but from what I've heard/read about it, there where ships sent to the Unknown Regions for some reason.
We don't know too much about Snoke, but I'm sure that RJ had to learn all about his past in order to do TLJ. That could have given RJ the idea for a trilogy.

So, how about this...

The end of Rebels could have Palpatine send Thrawn to the Unknown Region on a mission. I think we'll be introduced to Snoke as well, and perhaps he is in the know about Thrawn's mission. RJ's first movie could be about that mission and what Thrawn encounters. The second movie could deal with the ships sent to Unknown Region as mentioned in the Aftermath book. As I believe that there will be either a new animation series, or the live action, set sometime between RotJ and TFA, I think RJ's 3rd movie could tie into that series and connect to TLJ through Snoke.

Sure, we'll see tons of new characters, but we'll also have a couple that are familiar. And since we don't know anything about the Unknown Regions, that gives RJ a lot of creative freedom.

Comments?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Didn't the Jaden Korr books go there?

Also wasn't Palpatine's interest in the Unknown Region retconned to him trying to find Zenoma Sekot, the Vong planet in NJO? Or am I not remembering that right?

Is any of that stuff even canon? By that I mean places like the Unknown Region and the geography of the Galaxy from the old EU.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:56 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:
Also wasn't Palpatine's interest in the Unknown Region retconned to him trying to find Zenoma Sekot, the Vong planet in NJO? Or am I not remembering that right?

I feel like you're right, but I'm almost embarrassed to say I just don't remember any of that anymore. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:14 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

The idea of the Unknown Regions is in the New Canon. It's part of the Thrawn story in Rebels (though I've not watched that yet). It's also a big deal at the end of the Aftermath books. However, I thought it was clear that the interest in the Unknown Regions at the end of the Aftermath books was to build a new Empire hidden away. Therefore, I assume we'll get that story completed when we learn more about Snoke and the First Order.

The story of Zonama Sekot is Legends now.

I actually hope these new movies are from a different chronological "corner" of the Galaxy and that they'll be Old Republic stories.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

DPW, would you believe that the Jaden Korr books were about the only post-RotJ EU books that I did NOT read? So, I can't answer your question. Did they actually explore the Unknown Regions in those books, or were they just mentioned?

As for Palp's interest in the UR, I believe he either had visions or felt something, some sort of invasion could come from there...meaning the Vong. At least, in the Legends/EU. Now, I'm not sure. But I think Taral is correct in that it's a way to rebuild/restart the Empire in a new location. That's the general idea I was thinking they could be doing. It connects the pre-OT, the OT, to the post-RotJ era.

And to those fans that are hoping for KotOR or TOR, remember, they said that it has not been explored. Since we've had games, comics, and even books from those...well, you get it.

If you interpret them to be talking about unexplored "eras"/timeframes, well, there are fewer options. One of which would be post-IX. Sure there could be some bit of time to explore pre-TPM...

Ya know, I started to write something about doing stories pre-TPM and how they would basically just be like a background info or history lesson. Then I thought about something going on via TV lately. For example: Gotham and the upcoming Krypton shows. Those are basically pre-Batman and pre-Superman shows. Knowing that Hollyweird has trouble coming up with original ideas/stories, yeah, I could see them delving into pre-TPM stories.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Palps explored the UR (and met Thrawn) because he somehow knew of the Yuuzhan Vong and it was meant to explain his rise to power, his need to enact the Sith plan quickly, and his reasoning behind wanting Outbound Flight destroyed.

He was like an ego-maniacal backdoor good guy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skywalker2B wrote:
DPW, would you believe that the Jaden Korr books were about the only post-RotJ EU books that I did NOT read? So, I can't answer your question. Did they actually explore the Unknown Regions in those books, or were they just mentioned?

I barely remember, haha, but I think that they were just set there and it was kind of incidental to the larger story or the place itself. The first book is about a sith and a jedi that like travel through time or something from the Old Republic era and end up there. The second book was about clones and some monster planet or something. But I like those weird type stories.

I really don't understand the new canon. If the old EU/Legends is not canon, then why is some stuff from it part of the new canon like Thrawn and the Old Republic? Is Thrawn a different person than his Legends version? Is the new Sith Empire with Revan canon, but not the Old Sith from Dark Horse Comics? What about Darth Bane and all that? That's from Lucas and it was part of the movie tie ins, but the Bane books were part of the Legends...I'm so confused.

So for stuff that has "never been done", in the new canon that's just the movies basically, so almost everything in the history can be new again and everywhere in the Galaxy that hasn't been onscreen, all the new planets that they added for the ST, etc. For the Legends canon everything has been done up till like millions of years in the past and thousands of years in the future.

Yoda's origin planet, as far as I know is the only place that has never been shown at all.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dog-Poop_Walker wrote:

I really don't understand the new canon. If the old EU/Legends is not canon, then why is some stuff from it part of the new canon like Thrawn and the Old Republic? Is Thrawn a different person than his Legends version? Is the new Sith Empire with Revan canon, but not the Old Sith from Dark Horse Comics? What about Darth Bane and all that? That's from Lucas and it was part of the movie tie ins, but the Bane books were part of the Legends...I'm so confused.

So for stuff that has "never been done", in the new canon that's just the movies basically, so almost everything in the history can be new again and everywhere in the Galaxy that hasn't been onscreen, all the new planets that they added for the ST, etc. For the Legends canon everything has been done up till like millions of years in the past and thousands of years in the future.

Yoda's origin planet, as far as I know is the only place that has never been shown at all.

To address a few of your points:
-Some writers have chosen to bring characters or planets from Legends into the New Canon. Thrawn is one of them, but his story is significantly changed. He is a Grand Admiral already in Rebels, and has zero role (so far) post-ROTJ.
-The fact of some kind of ancient Sith empire and Darth Bane are both in the New Canon, but nothing else of Legends Sith lore is. Revan isn't Canon. The story of Bane from the novel trilogy is Legends, but there being a Sith named Darth Bane who created the Rule of Two is Canon.
-The fact that there was an Old Republic, prior to the one we see in the prequels, which fought wars against the Mandalorians and the Sith, is Canon. The rest of the Old Republic history is new, and largely unexplored.
-You can indeed treat the New Canon as a way to redo much of the history. Tarkin's history has been completely re-written (see the really good Tarkin novel by James Luceno). The construction of the Death Star was retold, with Rogue One and the Tarkin novel, as well as elements from the first Darth Vader comic, telling a new story. Rebels and Rogue One paint a new picture of the formation of the Rebellion. In the New Canon, the Imperial Palace is literally the Jedi Temple, whereas in Legends it was a new building.
-In my first bullet, I mentioned things from Legends being brought into the New Canon. So far, this has mostly been true of random drops of the names of people and planets. The Tarkin novel named a lot of the old Imperials from Legends, but didn't give them much page time. A lot of planets get named, but often they're characterized differently.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral_DLOS wrote:
I actually hope these new movies are from a different chronological "corner" of the Galaxy and that they'll be Old Republic stories.

That's what I'm hoping for as well. I think it would open up the new canon in such a huge way and I think it would avoid potential Star Wars burnout because it would be completely different to anything we've had before. There's so much to draw from - Darth Bane, the formation of the Republic, the Sith Wars, the Mandalorian Wars, the first Jedi etc.

And speaking of the first Jedi, if TLJ involves Luke learning secrets via the first Jedi temples, it would make sense that Rian Johnson would want to explore some of the backstory he created. Just a thought.

I do think that Skywalker2B's suggestion is more likely though. I don't know if Disney/Lucasfilm is ready to do something as out there and far away from the OT (and something that would probably feel closer to the PT in many ways). I hope they are, but I think the Unknown Regions is a safer bet because it ties into the stuff they're doing right now and they've been setting that up for a while. On the other hand, if this means getting a live action Thrawn, I certainly won't complain.

Skywalker2B wrote:
DPW, would you believe that the Jaden Korr books were about the only post-RotJ EU books that I did NOT read?

I highly recommend them. They were some of my favourites from the EU. Cool

Caedus_16 wrote:
Palps explored the UR (and met Thrawn) because he somehow knew of the Yuuzhan Vong and it was meant to explain his rise to power, his need to enact the Sith plan quickly, and his reasoning behind wanting Outbound Flight destroyed.

He was like an ego-maniacal backdoor good guy.

I never liked the idea of trying to make Palpatine a sympathetic or well-intentioned character. Palpatine is about as close to being pure evil you can get, while still being a good character imo, and I'd rather he stay that way.

I did like how the imminent Vong invasion added motivation for Thrawn to defend the Empire though because I've never thought of Thrawn as being evil.

Taral_DLOS wrote:
The idea of the Unknown Regions is in the New Canon. It's part of the Thrawn story in Rebels (though I've not watched that yet).

I've been faithfully watching Rebels and I don't remember any mention of the Unknown Regions. It may have been in the Thrawn book though, which I have still yet to read...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Movie Saga

Page 1 of 1