What Star Wars Book Are You Reading Now?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 158, 159, 160

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Skywalker2B: I beg you to reconsider because Phasma and From a Certain Point of View are pretty good and worth the time you'll invest in them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:47 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I have absolutely no interest in the Phasma character. I've also heard podcast reviews of that book and they say that it's not very "Star Warsy"...it doesn't really feel like Star Wars.

As for FACPOV, I don't know. I bought it for my son for his birthday, so I may borrow it from him when he's done. There were a few stories that I heard about that sound interesting. But the thing that bothers me about that book is that it's not all canon (like they said everything would be). It sounds like it's mostly comparable with those "Infinities" comics that Dark Horse published years ago where the authors were allowed to tell whatever story they wanted, ignoring continuity/canon if they wanted. Some of those stories were interesting, but, again, non-canon. For some reason, non-canon stories just don't interest me...sort of like "fake news". I don't want to know what "may" or "might" have happened. I want to know what DID happen. I want the truth.

I listened to a few more chapters of Leia and have to say that I think I'll see the scenes leading up to the destruction of Alderaan in a different light when I finish this book. I LOVE when books have that effect! When they make you see previous material (i.e. movies, tv shows, comics, etc.) from a different perspective. I'm now wondering if there will be some Rebels mentions in the book. And I'm also thinking about Rogue One as I'm listening. I'm also really hoping that Leia will find out about Padme at least, if not also Anakin and that she just believes Anakin is dead, not knowing that he is Vader.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 8:40 pm Reply with quote  

Just finished Aftermath, now working on Life Debt.

Overall I wasn't overly a fan of Aftermath. Having read Thrawn immediately prior I must admit the writing style and flow doesn't hold a candle to Zahn. That said I appreciated the novel for what it was trying to do tying the trilogies together. What I really liked most about Norra was how it really shook up how we're used to thinking of the Battle of Endor. That is from ROTJ portrayal of the grand celebration afterwards. I really liked how the character Norra conveyed that there were many Rebels off screen who were tired, wounded (mentally or physically), and just generally glad to not be dead.

Most interesting for me is it put the end "main cast" shot from ROTJ in a whole different context. Prior to the book if you think about it there's no logical reason for the main characters to gather and pose like they're in front of a camera as except for Lucas there are no cameras filming the Endor celebration. After the book though it got me thinking "were they posing for Lucas because we're actually watching an in-universe holo recorded by an Alliance holo crew for propaganda purposes?" I just thought that implicit explanation for that end scene was pretty cool and gives a new perspective of the OT.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 12:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just finished the Lost Tribe of the Sith stories (the Collected Stories). I wrote about it here: http://taralbooks.blogspot.ca/2017/10/star-wars-read-through-5-lost-tribe-of.html

I like the complicated worldbuilding. A civilization that's been hidden and isolated for 5,000 years.

Next thing I'm reading is Bloodline, followed by Leia, Princess of Alderaan.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 9:35 am Reply with quote  

I'll be honest, I didn't like From A Certain Point of View. Some of the stories were really good. The idea was good. But a lot of the stories did nothing for me. Jason Fry's story was probably the best one in the entire book. But if were to sort through which ones were good and which ones weren't, there are probably only about 5 that were actually worth the time and effort.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

@Skuls: I'm about halfway through right now and I find a lot of the ideas interesting, but it's taking me awhile because only a couple so far have really stood out. The concept would have been great but they have way too many stories in the book. It's slowing down. I've been in the Cantina forever.

I actually met Charles Soule recently and he signed my copy. He talked about some of the things they liked and some things they wish they'd done better. I think we'll see something like this again, but with more coherence and pacing.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'll triple this about that book. Pacing way terrible, and only about 5-6 stories that added something of real substance. The obiwan/Quigon stuff was awesome.

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Just finished Bloodline by Claudia Gray. Amazing book! One of the best New Canon novels so far.

Claudia Gray might be the best author of the New Canon (comparable to 90s Timothy Zahn; definitely much better than 00s and 10s Zahn).

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 11:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Taral-DLOS wrote:
Claudia Gray might be the best author of the New Canon (comparable to 90s Timothy Zahn; definitely much better than 00s and 10s Zahn).

I know I'm in the minority in this, but I thought Zahn's writing improved considerably by the time of Allegiance and Choices of One.

I love the Thrawn trilogy, but I've always found the characterizations just a little stiff.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:58 am Reply with quote  

Picking up Leia: Princess of Alderaan again.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:46 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Leia, Princess of Alderaan. I've confirmed my previous suspicions: Claudia Gray is fantastic and we should read all of her books.

Also, there's a chance I'm an advocate for war collaboration, which makes me a bit less comfortable. I wrote a blog post about it: http://taralbooks.blogspot.ca/2017/11/star-wars-new-canon-princess-leia-books.html

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:53 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Finally reading Thrawn! My sister gave it to me for my birthday six months ago, but I've just had so much trouble finding time to read. I'm finally making time, and it's so much fun! I have missed reading Star Wars books, so very much.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:03 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

For the new Leia books is it required to read them in published order? I would really rather read about those events In Universe chronologically.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

@DPW, If memory recalls correctly, I think you're safe to read it chronological in-universe. I don't think there are any books inbetween Bloodlines and TFA at this point.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:29 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Chronological reading order is fine so far.

There is one novel between Bloodline and TFA, and that's Phasma. But it's disconnected from Bloodline and other stuff (I've not read it yet though).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 160 of 160