Empire At War

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
Empire At War
 PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 4:13 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

my favorite RTS. Very Happy
What do you all think of the game?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Haven't played it yet, but I do have it and I plan to. I've heard some great things about it.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I enjoyed it too, not my favorite RTS, but a good game. Space combat was really well implemented.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

i really like it, but, i can't stand online play. in the time it takes me to make one unit, the enemy usually has an entire brigade down my throat =/

PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2008 11:14 pm Reply with quote  

I would agree that space combat is great. I haven't played the expansion but I thought space combat tended to be biased towards the Rebels. For example, Mon Cals get shield boosts "special power" whereas the ISDs only get a tractor beam "special power." Unlike the "frigate" class Imperial ships which get weapon power boosts "special power." In all I've found proper tactics by Rebels make ISDs no match for Mon Cals. Don't get me wrong though the Empire aren't pushovers, I just found that detail irritating since in ROTJ it is implied that the even the Mon Cals would have difficulty going toe-to-toe with ISDs.

That being said the Empire more than makes up for it in armored unit power (AT-AT and all that). My one gripe is that AT-AT's can defeat the "tow cable attack" by standing still until the tow cable disappears. I know it is more realistic that way but I found it unbalancing because at high levels sometimes the Empire fields what seems like 30 AT-ATs as planet defense. It is still possible to defeat them but expect to take high casualties in the process.

Overall though I think it is a great game because it involves more (or different) strategy from Galactic Battlegrounds which only dealt with the immediate environment.

I think another plus is that the game includes an "auto-resolve" feature which allows you to let the computer calculate whether you would win or not depending on your force's size vs. the enemies. This is immensely useful for conquering planets that have multiple AT-ATs as defense (saving you much aggravation) or shorten the campaign once you've got your enemy soundly beaten (its not fun to have to conquer each planet manually when it becomes a hunt for the single squad of infantry that comprise the garrison).

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:23 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

true points all but in space combat i fought 2 Mon Cal starships with 6 vics and my ships took a pounding but in the end i had all of them target one ship then the otheer but even with that i lost half my ships...

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:52 pm Reply with quote  

SSGT Twitch Baatir wrote:
true points all but in space combat i fought 2 Mon Cal starships with 6 vics and my ships took a pounding but in the end i had all of them target one ship then the otheer but even with that i lost half my ships...

All things considered that is an impressive thing, and it shows how the frigate class Imperial ships are easily up to the challenge. My gripe was just that the Mon Cals get the same shield boost power of the Rebel Frigates whereas the ISDs don't get the boost weapon power ability. To me it always seemed to leave the ISDs with the short end of the stick because in my opinion the chance of the tractor beam changing the course of a battle is slim. Whereas the shield or weapons boost if used properly can allow a side to win against the odds, as you demonstrated with the vics.

On a different topic I recently bought Forces of Corruption and have been having a blast. I haven't tried the new Rebel or Imperial ships (still working my way through the new campaign). I will say though that the new ships and troops overall really impress me. In some ways though I think there are tactics that should be available to the Rebels (namely sabotage) but its a minor point. My particularly new favorite thing are the Destroyer Droids. Really keep the whole mood from the movies in how quickly they mow down any infantry in their path.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:59 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'm a pretty big fan of the game as well. I dont' care for land combat by any stretch of the imagination (I generally create a massive army and auto-resolve it) but I love space.

The one thing I didn't really like in FoC was the introduction of REbel raiding parties. Maybe it was because I auto-resolve but I swear they always win no matter the odds...

Anyway, great game.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:47 am Reply with quote  

I haven't played the Rebellion yet in FoC but are you sure that raiding parties are new? In the original game the Alliance was my favorite faction and they have the ability to raid a planet if they send a group that is small enough (something like 3 or fewer ships).

I almost never used this option, mainly because at high levels the Empire is able to establish garrisons that are always too strong for anything but an all out invasion. This being said I always have favored infantry units over mechanized units so that might be why. On that note a nice thing I noticed they changed was that infantry units try to get out of the way of marauding mech units instead of letting themselves get crushed. I think in the original game about half of my infantry casualties would be due to them not getting out of the way of AT-STs.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:17 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

It might have been, yeah. I generally play FoC now so my memory of the original is a bit sketchy. Rolling Eyes

And I'll never forget seeing entire columns of infantry mowed down by a single Mauler....good times. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:32 am Reply with quote  

Iron Fist wrote:

And I'll never forget seeing entire columns of infantry mowed down by a single Mauler....good times. :D

That's what Destroyer Droids are for now

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:32 pm Reply with quote  

So I finally finished the FoC campaign. Kinda wished there had been more "closure" with the ending but its not that big a deal to me.

Several things have come up though that I have questions on unit wise. I've found the Kedalba class battleship (their version of ISD/Mon Cal) seems inferior to their special frigate that shoots the super ion/plasma blasts. I'm just wondering but am I imagining that?

I'm not really sure how I feel about that one frigate with the mass drive cannons and cloaking device that has no shields. It seems like it is in some ways also superior to the Kedalba battleships firepower wise and only loses in terms of long term endurance with slugging matches against other capital ships. It seems though like it would be very good for hit and run missions where the point would be to weaken enemy defense forces before the main strike by the rest of your fleet.

I haven't played as the Rebellion yet but how are the B-Wings? I'm curious how they fit in since the Y-Wing has the bomber role so are they just alternate bomber class ships that are just there for variability?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:09 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Quote:
So I finally finished the FoC campaign. Kinda wished there had been more "closure" with the ending but its not that big a deal to me.

I have to agree. Seeing a room full of carbonite-frozen soldiers peaks my interested and yet there's no other mention of them. I do hope we find out what goes on with them though.

Quote:
Several things have come up though that I have questions on unit wise. I've found the Kedalba class battleship (their version of ISD/Mon Cal) seems inferior to their special frigate that shoots the super ion/plasma blasts. I'm just wondering but am I imagining that?

For myself, I prefer the Keldabe as it serves as a superior general capital ship. It functions exactly like an ISD, giving it the ability to lay down fire upon both stationary objects, slow ships and smaller yet faster ships.

The Agressor's can only really target stations and other capital ships as their rate of fire and accuracy is pretty low. Also, they can lose combat effectiveness very easily. Take out the lower cannon and the ship's no more than a glorified Ion cannon.

Quote:
I'm not really sure how I feel about that one frigate with the mass drive cannons and cloaking device that has no shields. It seems like it is in some ways also superior to the Kedalba battleships firepower wise and only loses in terms of long term endurance with slugging matches against other capital ships. It seems though like it would be very good for hit and run missions where the point would be to weaken enemy defense forces before the main strike by the rest of your fleet.

I've always had trouble using them effectively as I always prefer the full blown strike as opposed to hit and runs. Next tiem I play though, I may need to give this strategy a try. I've also considered using them as a surprise attack, appearing on a capital ship's flank and laying as much fire into it as possible.

Quote:
I haven't played as the Rebellion yet but how are the B-Wings? I'm curious how they fit in since the Y-Wing has the bomber role so are they just alternate bomber class ships that are just there for variability?

B-wing functions like a TIE Defender. Increased rate of laser and ion cannon fire and massive increase in torpedo fire. A swarm of B-wings is ridiculously powerful during each pass.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:28 pm Reply with quote  

Quote:

For myself, I prefer the Keldabe as it serves as a superior general capital ship. It functions exactly like an ISD, giving it the ability to lay down fire upon both stationary objects, slow ships and smaller yet faster ships.

The Agressor's can only really target stations and other capital ships as their rate of fire and accuracy is pretty low. Also, they can lose combat effectiveness very easily. Take out the lower cannon and the ship's no more than a glorified Ion cannon.

Never thought of it that way. I think I'm probably biased right now with the Aggressor because until the very end of the campaign I pretty much relied on that ship and the first time I had a Keldabe it was also the first capital ship in my group to get destroyed (even before the unshielded cloak frigates).

The Aggressor sort of serves as the high powered frigate much like the new Rebellion Mon Cal frigate right?

Quote:

I've always had trouble using them effectively as I always prefer the full blown strike as opposed to hit and runs. Next tiem I play though, I may need to give this strategy a try. I've also considered using them as a surprise attack, appearing on a capital ship's flank and laying as much fire into it as possible.

Generally speaking I'm of a similar style of tactics. Usually what I do is amass a sizable fleet and go with a full blown strike. The only times I use hit and run is when I have a large fleet but can't defeat the garrison in one blow so I just make several strikes with the same fleet instead of one very costly battle or when I realize it is an invasion force that is massing over the planet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:37 pm Reply with quote  

So I've been playing a conquest match in FOC and in one battle Rogue Squadron got "killed" Unlike other heroes which just become temporarily unavailable it seems Rogue Squadron has completely disappeared because they are no longer on the hero tab on the upper right hand corner of the screen. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there something I can do to return Rogue Squadron to the fight or have they been lost permanently for this conquest match?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming

Page 1 of 1