The Rogue Squadron Series
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Rogue Squadron Series
 PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:49 am Reply with quote  

So because Rogue Squadron is one of my favorite Star Wars games series and because there seemed to be some interest in the game among other members I thought I would create a thread for it.

So talk about favorite moments where you just aced your opponent, fusterations or whatever about the series was memorable to you.

I'll start off. I haven't played Rogue Squadron I in ages so I don't remember the level name but it is the one where the female Imperial Interceptor pilot character is introduced.

Anyway I'm sure we all remember the missile turrets of doom. On that level there were a few and I'm at the part where you have to clear the weapon batteries surrounding this city complex. I get a missile lock warning and immediately dive into the city buildings. I'm hugging the ground and weaving among the buildings at full throttle desperately hopping to lose the missile as the beeping keeps getting louder as it gets closer. I make this one real sharp turn around a building and find myself on a straightaway and can see in a few seconds I will be out of the city. All of the sudden the missile lock warning goes, apparently the missile hadn't been able to make the sharp turn and had hit the building. Still hugging the ground I fly right towards the missile turret pop up at the last second and blasted it and then quickly finished off the rest of the laser turrets.

Probably one of my best moments in that game because I never managed to replicate that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Laughing This one is strong in the Force!

That is amazing, I couldn't top that on my best day. Mostly I enjoy hounding my son with a TIE Interceptor in Rouge Sqadron 2, I do so love a dogfight.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The second one was always the most difficult for me to play and that could be fun. I don't remember now which game it is (I think the second) but when the AT-ATs come walking out of the water from the down Star Destroyer was just awesome!

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:06 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I use to love playing the X-Wing games with my friend at his house. We'd usually dogfight with II and III, but sometimes we'd take turns playing levels in I.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 1:26 pm Reply with quote  

Aush wrote:
The second one was always the most difficult for me to play and that could be fun. I don't remember now which game it is (I think the second) but when the AT-ATs come walking out of the water from the down Star Destroyer was just awesome!

That would be Rogue Leader if you were playing single player. Rebel Strike (Rogue Squadron III) has the Rogue Leader missions available for 2 player co-op

I actually love the part in that level when you have the AT-PTs coming in swarms out of the water. It was always a blast to just carpet bomb the area in a Y-Wing (especially once you had the cluster bomb upgrade).

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:22 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I think you might be talking about the Liberation of Gerrard V, Salaris. Not sure if that's the name, but I know which level you're talking about. That was always my least favorite level (besides the last one, that is) because of all the darn Interceptors.

Some of my favorite moments were simply when I was able to zip through a level like it was nothing at all. Like in the Imperial Construction Yards when I was able to fly into the AT-AT and AT-ST factories and destroy everything without even losing my blue shields. Awesome.

Another one was whenever I could fly through Wedge's course of Beggar's canyon at full speed with no mishaps. Gotta love it!

Last favorite moment was when I found the TIE fighter on the 'choose your vehicle' screen. In the PC version, at least, the TIE fighter is hidden behind the Millennium Falcon. You have to do some serious joystick maneuvering to get back there and select it. I don't remember if I liked flying it, though. *ponders*

I couldn't stand those TIE defenders in the last level. They were so darn fast! The best thing I was ever able to throw at them were those tracking cluster missiles that the V-Wing packed. Otherwise, you were usually toast. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:48 pm Reply with quote  

You know its funny that you found the TIEs annoying, as I recall the dogfighting was one of my most favorite parts of the level (granted it wasn't a walk in the park).

Wedge's Beggars Canyon course was fun. I remember that level was a real challenge but unlike some levels it was incredibly fun.

I thought it wasn't TIE Defenders on the Battle of Mon Calamari level, it was the TIE/D automated (droid) starfighter. Granted it shares the same designation as the Defender for some reason (at least according to wookieepedia). I haven't played the game in ages though so my memory may be rusty. I agree though those guys were real pains.

I think one of the neat things that made it like X-Wing was that you could select the firing mode for the lasers (linked unlinked etc.). You can't do that with RS II and III.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, I loved the dogfighting. I really miss it sometimes.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The dogfights are great fun!!......unless you get one on your tail and they blow you up, then I hate them Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:05 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

lol, ya. I cant remember what level it was, one of the last ones on Rogue Squadron, but while you were flying around trying to kill massive amounts of TIE's they had surface to air missiles flying up at you. Good grief it was frustrating.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:05 pm Reply with quote  

I remember there was a Sullust level where you were flying a Y-Wing and the missile turrets seemed like they could achieve locks before you were within visual range. That was one of the last levels of the game as I recall. Is that what you are thinking of?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:47 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really cant remember what ship I was flying, but i think it was an X-wing. Though, I remember flying a Y-wing on some level where you flew through a canyon and then bombed installations on the ground. But thats not the level i am talking about. Your probably right, maybe it was the Sullust level.

Lol, i think i need to go back and play it.

Last edited by Autobon on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:56 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Oh, SV, I think you're right about the TIE/Ds. I was just guessing with the Defender designation, and I do believe you're correct.

As for the Sullust level, that's right! I'd forgotten about it, but I couldn't stand that level! Those missile turrets had unerring accuracy, and there were so many of them! I think the only saving grace of the level was the fact that you were in a Y-Wing. Despite its slower nature, I do believe its amazing shields saved my life a million times. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:58 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Autobon wrote:

All this talk about them makes me want to do the exact same thing Very Happy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:45 pm Reply with quote  

Aush wrote:
Autobon wrote:

All this talk about them makes me want to do the exact same thing Very Happy

Me three. The problem is I don't have my copy of the original Rogue Squadron anymore. Even if I did have it I wonder if it would still play on my computer (the whole system computability thing). I will probably break out my copy of Rogue Leader as the next best thing.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming

Page 1 of 2