Coruscant Nights Trilogy Discussion: Spoilers Allowed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

This book is next on my list. Lol, the forcecast making fun of it every week sure doesnt help, but dont worry, it doesnt bother me really.

If i survived the scathing attack the critics unleashed upon the Clone Wars, i can survive anything.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 5:58 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Really enjoying this so far (currently half way through book 2), makes a change to not be reading about the main movie characters, and also the huge galactic spanning wars that seem to be the current order of the day. however, i do think it helps if you have read the previous books by Reaves (ie Darth Maul and MedStar), as some of the characters from those are in these books, and also events and the like are referenced. the first book is one of my favorite books for a while, and the second one is shaping up well.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:44 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

So, other than DarthDov's post, this hasn't been touched upon lately. Anybody necessarily looking forward to the release of the third and final chapter? I don't know...I'm curious to see how they tie it all together (and I think they've got a lot of work to do with a only a book to do it in), but I'm certainly not counting down the days.

In this last book, I found Typho's plot served no point other than to deliver a lightsaber to Jax. But there are plenty of other ways Jax could have acquired one. So what was Typho's death for? It seemed as if there went another decent character for no particular reason. I'm glad he didn't realize Darth Vader was Anakin, as that seemed far too cliché, but I was disappointed by his quest through the whole book and then his eventual death. It just didn't do anything for me.

Moving on, I was also bothered by Dejah's part in the book, as it seemed to only push Laranth away. And what was this whole investigative search about? I thought it was going to tie into a larger plot eventually, but it didn't. Don't get me wrong, I think small plots are great. But I think they're more suited to one book, than to being nested within one part of a trilogy. Just seemed like a waste...like all that paper could have been devoted more toward the larger plot...whatever that is. I haven't quite figured it out yet. Confused

Anyway, sorry, not trying to bash. But I'm just having trouble meshing this one together. It just doesn't really flow for me. So am interested to see what Patterns of Force has to offer. I really like Michael Reaves...perhaps he can give us a great ending. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:29 am Reply with quote  

Yeah, it'll be nice to finish off the series. I know the romance sub plot in the last one threw me for a loop. I thought for sure he'd pick Laranth over Dejah. That really surprised me. Seemed a little superficial as well.

I kind of found it interesting that they threw Typho in there. Guess it gives closure to his story. Probably just a shot out to all the Typho fans. (I guess there are Typho fans...)

I know what I'd like to see in the third novel though...BOUNTY HUNTERS! Yep, I'm in the mood for bounty hunters, so that's what I'd like to see. Haven't heard too much from their kind in a while in the novels. It'd be nice to hear about them again.

Note Coruscant Nights III: Patterns of the Force comes out January 27, 2009.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:48 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

This series is pretty good in my opinion, one thing that really hooks me is that while most SW novels recently have a heavy political intruige element; this series deals with "real" people catching the fallout from these tumultous political upheavals in this era. Even though I'm sure that it's all going to end in tears for some of these characters, I can't help but to root for these "mice living under the tiger's nose".

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:37 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So, I got the first two books for Christmas and have gotten about half way through the first one. I think it's written very well but there is one, underlining point that's repeated over and over again that annoys me: Palpatine and Vader don't think any Jedi is a threat to their Empire and only hunt them down if they stand up in front of them. This really irks me since "Vader helped the Emperor hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights," and when they don't do this, I wonder what's going on.

Now, I know that "99.9%" of the Jedi were killed in the Clone Wars, but with the lines from the movie, Palpatine's hatred for the Jedi, and the extremes he went to as soon as Luke said he was a Jedi make me think these two Sith would do nothing else but hunt down the Jedi. Maybe they say they won't bother with the Jedi but are secretly still doing so (although it's always clones that are sent in by themselves) but I'm sure that Vader and Jax Pavan will encounter one another soon enough in this series.

Okay, I'm off my soap box lol Laughing

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote  

The whole relationship with Vader, Palps, and the surviving Jedi has gotten really hard to follow lately with all the new material. Everybody keeps putting a new spin on it. First it's "seek and destroy" on both Vader and Palpatine's parts. Then it's just Vader who wanted to hunt them down cause he had nothing better to do. And sometimes they say that neither of them were worried about hunting down the Jedi, though I'm guessing this is after Vader spent a few years hunting some Jedi down, otherwise it would be in conflict with canon. Throw in The Fore Unleashed story line and everything's a mess. It's probably best not to think about it too much. Regardless of what he says about Vader not caring about the Jedi, he always ends up hunting them down anyway.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:52 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

That is true. If a Jedi sticks his head out and Vader sees it, you can count on Vader stopping what he's doing to finish the Jedi off. I don't think about it too much except for by brief outbursts (Very Happy) but each time I read something like this, I do hear my eyes roll.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 1:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I finished the first book and I must recommend it to everyone. It starts off as if it's all over the place but it really does come together and there's a beautiful explosion at the end. Prince Xizor is just another example of a non-Force sensitive villain like Thrawn who can cause a lot of problems for the Jedi, and I hope future authors recognize this. I should be starting the second one soon and then I'll finally get to Mindor. Thanks for keeping the EU alive, Michael Reaves!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:43 pm Reply with quote  

Well I'm waiting for the third novel in the Coruscant Nights trilogy, Patterns of the Force. January 27, not too far away either.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:46 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I have about 75 pages to go in Street of Shadows and I'll be all caught up with this story. Although not nearly as good as the first one, the story hasn't been too bad. Some police investigation and questioning that reminds me of Tempest when Denning introduced those officers with the Jedi Master investigation.

It's been good to see Aurra Sing again, especially since last we knew she was paralyzed and under arrest (of course, this is in the future but still Smile). Her fight with Typho was ridiculous; how did he managed to one-up her? Yes, she was arrogant about winning but it was still silly. I didn't know Typho had such strong feelings for Padme, so I can't help but chuckle when he believes Padme and Anakin were killed by Vader and has set his eyes on killing the Dark Lord of the Sith.

I should have the story finished tonight, no later that tomorrow, so I'll give any final thoughts and speculations for the trilogies conclusion then.

And a final note, a race of beings who consider it polite to insult one another? Only Reaves with all the humor he's included with I-Five. And no, I don't think that protocol droid's face could lie Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:19 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Aush, we are like right in the same place. I am at page 86 in the second book. Very Happy

At first, Jedi Twilight started off all over the place, like the others said. It really bothered me at first until the story started coming into place. Towards the end I really loved the book, and I am so glad Reaves used the Black Sun in the plot, really made it more interesting. I hope this is what the live action series is like. It fits with the rumored description of it so far.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 12:40 pm Reply with quote  

I forgot all about the Ranats and their insulting praises. Oh, that was gold...

I hope to see more alien culture revealed in the third one. He's doing a really good job at expanding upon the details of the various races, adding little tid bits that we didn't have. It helps flesh them out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 8:53 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

All good stuff in there, hopefully a good ending as well!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:53 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

As expected, the second one isn't as good as the first but it was still worth reading. Besides Typhoo being out of place (his whole story wasn't too important to Pavan's unless something from it comes back in the third one), I think it could have been left out. The fight between Sing and Pavan was fun, but nothing like Pavan and Xizor. I'm excited for the third and final one and will try to get it when it's released.

For Autobon, I did feel the same at the beginning of the first one, but I knew Reaves would bring it together, and he did, so it was fine to start all over the place. Similar thing with the second one with Sing and Typhoo, and probably be something in the third one that's the same way. Smile

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 3 of 4