Computers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:54 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Quote:
If it makes you feel any better that's how I read it too

Lol, and that is how i am reading it now. I must be really tired, because it was obviously written there too.

anyways, good luck with the search Mara Jade Skywalker.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:32 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Okeydoke, back to the drawing board. It has finally come time for me to make a decision. *cue appropriate music* I now present you with two new options. I'm still very fond of the HP that I mentioned last time, but I've decided that I should consider the next size down, as I will be carrying this one around a bit more with school. So, here are two more options I have happened upon. Let me know what you think and how you believe they compare:

HP dv3510nr

Dell Studio XPS 13

Thanks! Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:19 pm Reply with quote  

Well going through the specs you get a better graphics card with the Dell and it looks like the RAM might be a newer chipset (DDR3 instead of DDR2).

The 320 GB hard drive on the Dell also is much better than the HP's 320 GB hard drive (7200 RPM instead of 5400 rpm). I imagine though that you have to pay to upgrade the Dell to the 320 GB hard drive so if you don't want to pay any extra money to upgrade then the HP is better.

I have no idea how the processors compare in power but since they are different chipsets I think it would be worth digging up the specs on the two chips to find out how they compare in power.

The biggest thing I can see is it looks like you will pay about 200-300 dollars more for the Dell than the HP so depending on your budget you may want to opt for the HP.

I've had both an HP and a Dell computer and I liked both. One thing I recommend checking is that the word processor is Microsoft Word not Word Perfect because it creates a nightmare with compatibility if you have to e-mail profs. any assignments. I know my HP computer came by default with Word Perfect and while I loved the computer I didn't enjoy having to resave files in a different format each time I had to e-mail something in. When I got my current Dell computer I made sure that it had Microsoft Word so I don't know what Dell dose for their default word processor.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:05 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for the feedback, Salaris! I've gone ahead and purchased my computer, and went with the Dell XPS 13. It's gorgeous! It came in on Thursday and I've been enjoying it ever since. The only problem is, the video card is so awesome (compared to my last one) that I'm having trouble holding myself back when it comes to all the games I want to play. I'm ready to rush out and buy Battlefront 1 and 2, Half-Life 1 and 2, Airborne, and all the rest. I've just played the Airborne demo and it was amazing! No lag time whatsoever, and the game was so sweet compared to what I'm used to playing. Very Happy

Overall, this machine is absolutely beautiful. If anybody's looking for a new computer and doesn't mind the price, go with this one! The perks I wasn't expecting but got were the built-in microphone, two headphone jacks, backlit keyboard, and assorted software I'm really enjoying. Such as Windows DVD Maker. For a simple program, it really does pretty well.

Wonderful computer, light and stylish, can't beat it. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:17 pm Reply with quote  

Glad to hear its all working out well. If you like Airborne I would definitely recommend buying it, but be warned the end levels have some real tough bosses (basically the equivalent to the Republic Commando Trando elites).

So I have a hybrid sort of question that involves uploading cellphone photos to computers. I don't really think it merits the creation of its own thread since it is related to computers because they comprise half of my problem.

I recently have been trying to figure out how to upload the photos from my cellphone camera onto my computer but can't figure out how to do it (and the manual was no help). My cellphone model is the Motorola W385 and my computer is Windows XP, I tried connecting it to my computer using a USB cable but my computer demanded that it wouldn't recognize the device if I didn't install the software associated with the device (no CD came in the box). I'm not really sure how else to upload the photos to my computer but the photos are real important to me and I don't want to lose them if something should happen to my phone. any help or suggestions of how to upload them to my computer would be very much appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:56 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, Salaris. If you have texting, then your problem is solved. Simply text them to your email address, and voila! You don't even have to have a texting plan. Your phone should do it anyway, and you'll simply be charged a few cents for each one. On my particular phone, after I write a text message, it gives me the option of sending it to a phone number or an email address. Some phones, however, simply offer a choice between typing in letters or numbers. You might have to change the option under 'more' or 'options' or something while you're entering the contact. It's different with every phone, so just play around with it. Only other option I know of is to bluetooth them straight to your computer. You can buy a bluetooth adapter for rather cheap, but of course you'll have to have bluetooth on your phone. Then it's even simpler than the texting. But texting would be cheaper, if it can be done.

So...hope that helps! Smile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:52 pm Reply with quote  

Thank you so much Mara Jade!! The text messaging worked! I am going to transfer all the photos to my hard drive and burn a CD of them for safe keeping. Thank you again for the help I really appreciate it!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:45 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

You're very welcome! So glad that it worked and that I could help. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 3:14 pm Reply with quote  

Ok so this may seem a bit of a crazy idea but I was wondering if you can take a wired headset for a cellphone and connect to a computer to act as a microphone? The thought of buying a microphone for my computer has been an off and on idea and I got to thinking of whether I could kill two birds with one stone by buying a headset for my cellphone (effectively making one investment be twice as useful). Just really a crazy idea I've had and was wondering if anyone knows if it would work.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 4:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

It should work as long as you can find a way to plug it in to your computer. I have used microphones from various different things, and they all worked.

Wait and see just how wrong I am Very Happy

lol, but really, I think it will work.

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 7:55 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, it should work beautifully. Providing, of course, as Autobon said, you have the appropriate connection on your computer. But yeah, your computer shouldn't have a problem recognizing it as an input device. Especially the newer machines, they're pretty great at that kind of thing. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:32 pm Reply with quote  

Autobon wrote:

Wait and see just how wrong I am Very Happy

So I just make sure they have a good return policy Wink

thanks a bunch guys. There is a port on the front of my computer specifically for a microphone (it would take something roughly the size of an MP3 player headphone). So I guess as long as I find a headset around that size it should work. I shall now begin scoping out my mall to see what they have available.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 12:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yeah, the port for a microphone is the same as a port for headphones. I mean...they're seperate, so the computer will know the difference, but they're the same connectors. If that makes sense. Smile

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:40 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

After buying my totally awesome new computer which I love very much, I still have my older computer. And I would really like to sell it, as I need the money, but don't need the computer. I don't want to sell it on eBay, as I usually would, because it has quirks. And I would just feel bad selling it to somebody I didn't know, and having them receive a computer that does things I can't predict. I'd rather be able to explain it thoroughly, and then even be there to help the buyer if anything went wrong after purchase. So I've offered it to everybody I could think of, but nobody seems to need one. Then I thought of you guys! So, to explain the machine itself:

HP dv4170us
Windows XP Home SP3
15" widescreen
100GB hard drive
1GB RAM
Intel Pentium M Processor 1.73GHz
New CD/DVD drive
Memory Card reader
4 USB ports
PCI port
Internal modem (for those of us who still occasionally need them, like me)
Ethernet port
Decent battery for its age...about an hour and a half (same as the new one I've got...bummer)
Internal wireless
S-Video port
Firewire port
External monitor port
Other ports I've never used, so I don't know what they are

Now for the quirks. The reason I replaced it is because the USB ports are fritzing and I'd filled up the hard drive. I really need those USB ports, and I really need that space. Other people may not. Now...the USB ports work, but they only work temporarily. They may work a couple times, and then one has to restart the computer to use them again. The computer occasionally freezes, but this is easily fixed by forcefully tapping on the casing near the keyboard. Just like the Falcon. Very Happy

Honestly, though, the tapping never fails to bring it out of a freeze. I attribute this to a short somewhere in the inner workings of the computer. No worries, though, because the machine has been doing this behavior for a long time, no change. So I can assure you it's not because it's going to die tomorrow. And if it does, I'll give you a full refund. Smile

Other than that, it works beautifully. My mom loves it for just surfing the internet and doing her eBay business. She already has a computer, but prefers this one since it's a laptop. She carries it all over the house. But I really need to sell it. Oh, and it weighs about 6-7 pounds, which really isn't that bad. I never had a problem carrying it around.

So, here are some pictures of my beloved machine (I was very sad to replace it):

HP Front Open:

HP Side 1:

HP Side 2:

HP Front Closed:

BTW, the computer is not curved, despite appearances. Just a trick of the camera. Smile

I will completely format the computer for the new owner and reinstall a clean version of XP Home. That way you'll get it completely ready to go. So, if anybody's interested, just lemme know!

Oh, ha, I forgot to say how much I was asking: $200. Smile

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:46 am Reply with quote  

How much would shipping be?

What payment method would work?

How often does it freeze?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 2 of 10