New NJO Comic Book Series: INVASION
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
New NJO Comic Book Series: INVASION
 PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote  

This May we'll get to see a new addition to the Star Wars comics lineup, Invasion, a series set during the Yuuzhan Vong War. Personally, I think this is going to be great!

Check out the article here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19915

And here: http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=19917

Thanks go to NJOE for the heads up!

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:08 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Awesome! I've always wanted to see that era illustrated. I'm not much of a comics person, but this sounds great.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:37 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Sounds pretty good. I don't really like the art though.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 3:55 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I don't be reading this, I think. I have just such an allergy of NJO - beyond EoV - nowadays that the idea of more of it just turns off any interest I would normally feel toward a new major SW publishing event like this one.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm really excited for this, but at the same time I'm worried. I don't mind the art style, but there are things I'd be worried that I'd see. For one thing they'll have to show moments from the novels for a well rounded connection and something I'm worried about actually seeing is the death of Anakin. I saw Chewie die in comic book form, and it was hard. Yes, I'm still not over Anakin's death.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:20 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

If this series dealt with new characters or some of the ones who showed up once or twice in the books, I'd be fine with. The editor mentioned having Luke, Leia, and the Solo kids in it, so I wonder how well it will tie in with continuity (especially with all the problems currently with continuity). Also, I thought it was interesting that the editor doesn't like the NJO story, but it's grown on him. I do hope the Force is with this series, but I'm kind of excited, too (just very, very little since it's coming out now).

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:07 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I don't see why fans are worrying; they might have cameos, but this series seem the focus on the family, which is a great idea. I remember thinking it'd be nice to have a Tales of the New Jedi Order to show life for others during that time more, and this can be it.

Art looks good enough and I'm sure the writing will be fine; the editor of the series doesn't have the final-final say anyway; that goes to Randy and Sue.

New to the forums? Introduce yourself in the Spaceport!

Need help? Please feel free to post in Feedback & Suggestions

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:24 am Reply with quote  

I have no worries for this series. I mean, think of the possibilities. We could see the new era ships they get mentioned but are never drawn, we'll get to see the NJO Jedi Knights (I am so pumped for seeing pictures displaying Anakin Solo and Ganner Rhysode in action). Plus we'll get to see the Vong and their ships in all their glory. There are so many battles they could cover without ever even touching the canon. So many Jedi they could portray (Lowbacca, Tahiri, Jacen, Jaina, Tekli, Kenth Hamner, Corran, etc etc). And we'll get to see Luke and Mara dishing it out together.

It'll be good to see Mara alive again. Though Chewie won't be around for long, we will get to see that Ryn guy. I always thought they made an interesting species. Kind of like Kangaroo people with bird noses.

Again, I'm really getting pumped up about the art aspects here. We'll be getting cool covers and some nice panels. They only bad thing I see is having to wait till the summer.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:49 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

My favorite part is giving true visuals to Luke, Jacen, Anakin, Jaina, etc. at this time. I don't want them to be too big, but seeing them; seeing other Jedi and how they dress again-- it would be great.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 12:07 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The art they've shown looks great and seeing Yuuzhan Vong in action and everything will be great. Yes, there's plenty they can do without touching the canon, but when characters like Anakin have a pretty detailed course through the whole war, you can't do too much with him without being careful with canon. And I'm sure we all have realized that canon isn't something on the top of the lists anymore at Lucasfilm. And when I talked about those Tales of the New Jedi Order, I meant like with the other Tales books that focus on other characters and not just the "big" ones. And it definitely appears we'll be seeing Luke doing some awesome things, but they got to be careful that he doesn't do the cool things he did in Dark Nest and LotF because he does not have those abilities yet although LSatSoM did get borderline with this. The worriness only comes from how continuity has been going, although canceling Rebellion shows they know when some continuity is harder to tell good stories in so maybe that's one great beam of light! Very Happy

But there's lots of good stories they can tell such as Corran Horn after losing Ithor and returning in Rebirth -- those are the stories I'd love to hear that won't touch continuity too much. I'm sure Corran said what he did during that time, but you could work around it and put something there.

One thing that would be the best is seeing more stories from the Yuuzhan Vong perspective that does show that not all of them were rampaging lunatics like the first ones in the series like was seen in later NJO books. I'd love it!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wait I know a NJO story that's not been explored too much yet: Jacen finding Seha during his visit to the World Brain. Now that would be cool!

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Last edited by Reepicheep on Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:57 pm Reply with quote  

Hell just seeing a world brain would be cool. Cool

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:08 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I know a lot of you are interested in seeing Luke, Jacen, Anakin, Jaina, etc., again, but I want to see this new family, other civilians, and other Jedi more-- I think that's their purpose too; I got the sense Invasion will follow the family, who just are in the right place at the right time to see our favorite Jedi.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:43 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Son Of Skywalker wrote:
I got the sense Invasion will follow the family, who just are in the right place at the right time to see our favorite Jedi.

Well, they'll be in the right place at the right time for us, but I'm sure they'll be wishing they were somewhere else as Yuuzhan Vong charge them lol Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:33 am Reply with quote  

Here's a good question: What kind of atmosphere will Invasion be going for?

In the KOTOR comics there's the very grim background of the Mandalorians conquering the galaxy, yet the story often finds a lot of light humor with Gryph and Zayne. Overall a good mix of action, fun, drama, and humor. Legacy has a similar feel to it.

Then there is the likes of Dark Times where things are very grim. People dying all the time and even acts of cannibalism and torture. A very dark, drama driven story.

So, will Invasion try to toss us some humor (maybe a little Rogue Squad and Wraith Squad) or will it plunge into the grim invasion and onslaught of the Yuuzhan Vong invaders?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 4