Bantam vs. Del Rey

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who's better
Del Rey
62%
 62%  [ 5 ]
Bantam
37%
 37%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 8

Bantam vs. Del Rey
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:31 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

My favourite is Del Rey for two reasons (I'll probably think of more later)
1. The Del Rey ones are more exciting/intense (the 'good guys' don't always win.
2.Del Rey also shaded the line between good and bad. The New Republic was an unrealstic democrat dream, whereas the GA is much more realistic with faults as well as strengths.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:41 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Bantam for me.

Del Rey's era has been one of just continued destruction and failure, with the deaths of many characters I really liked - most of which were first introduced in Bantam movels.

To me Del Rey has been like a kid who has spent his time on a beach not building a sandcastle of his own, but destroying one which was built by another kid.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Interesting comparison. I actually think Del Rey is a child who sees a neglected sand castle and rebuilds it.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:58 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I was forever scarred by many books that Bantam put out, so I voted for Del Rey. I was very impressed with them in the beginning, though lately Del Rey has been disappointing me in some areas. However, it stills beats Bantam. At least for the time being.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:11 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I said Del Rey because they gave us the New Jedi Order. However, as of late, most of the stories I just haven't cared for all that much but it seems they are trying to change things up with the new contract. But Bantam shouldn't be forgotten either, since they gave us Thrawn and the Jedi Academy trilogies (Plus, Bantam had KJA, one of my top favorite authors). In short, both have good stories....and both have dropped the ball at times.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:02 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yet when Bantam dropped the ball, nobody died. (Except Madine.)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:20 pm Reply with quote  

Boy, I don't think I can choose on this one. Both of them gave us some really good books. I mean don't forget all the Tales novels. Bantam pretty much wrote all the backgrounds for the characters we saw in the movies. There the one's who got us hooked into the expanded universe. But Del Rey has carried the ball. I'd say it's a tie.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:36 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I agree with Darth Skuldren on this one; many good books on both sides. My one complaint is all the revisions and ret-cons done after the change from Bantam to DelRey. But seeing the changes happening all the time throughout the EU, I guess I cant complain too much. Confused

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 1:43 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Actually Del Rey got me hooked.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:39 am Reply with quote  

And don't forget the X-wing novels, possible the best Star Wars series EVER! (I'd rank them higher than just about any I can think of...they mix humor with action and great characters better than anybody else).

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:51 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, true. An awesome series, that. And I suppose that was Bantam. Maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on them.

Hmm...I guess where Bantam scares me with Hambly's books and the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy, Del Rey frightens me with Dark Nest. So in the end they seem to be somewhat equal.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:37 am Reply with quote  

Finally decided to cast my vote. Waru for the win! Laughing

Del Rey has nothing than can compete with his golden awesomeness! (though the Killik's hive mind comes close)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:12 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Ah, true. An awesome series, that. And I suppose that was Bantam. Maybe I shouldn't have been so hard on them.

Hmm...I guess where Bantam scares me with Hambly's books and the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy, Del Rey frightens me with Dark Nest. So in the end they seem to be somewhat equal.

Gotta say cause I'm one of the few but I loved Hambly's books. Not so big into the Black Fleet Crisis, but loved Hambly.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:28 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Both eras have their good points, & their bad points Bantam gave us Mara Jade (good point), it also gave us things like Crystal Star (bad point). Del Rey gave us a 20 book story line (good or bad, take your pick), Del Rey also took several fan favorite characters (bad point).

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:38 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Don't have a preference, both have their share of good stories as well as their share of bad ones.

Bill's TV Emporium

The Domain Of Nihilus

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 1