A 'Real' Force Toy?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
A 'Real' Force Toy?
 PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:28 am Reply with quote  

Saw this over at Starwars.com. Uncle Milton Industries has made a Star Wars toy that will allow you to lift a ball with your mind.

Really.

Here's how it works. You put this headband on and it reads your brain waves. The right waves trigger a fan at the bottom of the tube. The more focused your thoughts, the faster the fan spins, and the higher the ball floats.

I have to admit, this sounds kind of cool. Here's a picture:

You can read the article at starwars.com here or a USA Today article here. There's even a spot on the toy makers website that gives a countdown clock here. Looks like it'll be out July 23, 2009. Price could be around $90 to a $100 dollars, so start saving now Confused

It's also interesting to note that this is only one product coming off their new Star Wars Science line. Some of the other toys they'll be making is a "Optical Command Unit" which can be transformed into a microscope, binoculars, and mini projector. A Darth Vader Robotic Arm kit, a Naboo Sea Creatures Habitat, a Jedi Telescope which will show pictures of Star Wars planets, a Jedi Projector which will show Star Wars ships and vehicles (comes with an audio CD and will focus on the Clone Wars), and a Mustafar Volcano Kit.

The Force ball thing still sounds like fun Very Happy

Sources: www.toynewsmag.com, www.starwars.com, www.usatoday.com
Articles: Brainstorm Unveils Star Wars Science Range, Toy trains 'Star Wars' fans to use The Force

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:08 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wow, that's amazing...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:49 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Wo, neat! I don't think I'll buy it, but it's neat nonetheless.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:44 pm Reply with quote  

This toy is making me think of Back to the Future when Marty meets 1950s Doc...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:00 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I was just watching that movie (for the millionith time), but what do you mean? Oh...the head gear he's got on? Yeah, it is kind of funny looking. Wonder if it actually works...

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 1:14 pm Reply with quote  

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
I was just watching that movie (for the millionith time), but what do you mean? Oh...the head gear he's got on? Yeah, it is kind of funny looking. Wonder if it actually works...

Yeah the headgear the kid is wearing just made me think of the headgear Doc is wearing when he attempts to read Marty's mind.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:10 am Reply with quote  

I think it's funny that they talked about all the real world applications they could use this for, like manipulating light switches or your television, and yet the first application they actually end up doing is a kid's toy. It would be kind of neat to just turn lights on with your thoughts.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ah, but not if you constantly had to wear headgear. Personally, I'm not quite ready for that bit. Smile

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Not to mention how lazy you'd get. Confused

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:09 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Reepicheep wrote:
Not to mention how lazy you'd get. Confused

That's when you must recall the words of Mara Jade Skywalker to Anakin Solo in Onslaught: why use the Force for something you can do yourself? Very Happy

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Aush's EU Cantina

Page 1 of 1