Deathtroopers by Joe Schreiber Speculation & Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:54 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Shocked Oh...yuck.
I don't know, I've never been a big horror fan to begin with. I'm wondering, now, if I'll finish it. I'll almost certainly start it, but then...

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:05 pm Reply with quote  

Well I can almost guarantee you this will not be one for people with weak stomachs or faint hearts. In fact I'm wondering if this one will push the envelope for violence. I'm somewhat doubtful Schreiber would've tamed it down any. Having read two of his books thus far, he can get pretty graphic. As you can see, Stormie's heads are gonna roll Laughing

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:27 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Hmm...... That is actually quite a disappointing cover. I sure hope its not just a gore fest, as those are more disgusting then scary. I want more a suspense filled story, thats really really creepy. I have not read his other books so I dont really know his style.

BTW. Nice signature DS Laughing

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:10 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

That cover looks like Saw cross-bred with Star Wars! Sick! I'm giggity for this now!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Autobon wrote:
Hmm...... That is actually quite a disappointing cover. I sure hope its not just a gore fest, as those are more disgusting then scary. I want more a suspense filled story, thats really really creepy. I have not read his other books so I dont really know his style.

That's the stuff I like, too. ("Hitchcock-y" Laughing) I was surprised at how graphic the cover is (is the head still in there!?), but I am curious just how graphic it will be. It may make me think the torture chapter from Star by Star look like a walk in the park (which I'm getting the idea it will). Look forward to a blurb, though!

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oh, wow. All I can say is wow. I love horror, I'll be honest with you. Absolute gore fests? Well...they don't terribly bother me, though a little plot would always be much better. However, I'm worried about horror being mixed with Star Wars. I'm afraid, however good it may be in its own right, that it'll take away from that magical aura/universe we call Star Wars.

So...I suppose it remains to be seen.

Although, I honestly think the cover is amazing when one isn't comparing it to our beloved universe. Or maybe it's because it's being compared to our beloved universe that I'm so drawn to it. The idea of a Stormtrooper helmet portrayed within a Saw theme...it's an oxymoron in every sense of the word. Hmm...dunno.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:16 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

See I'm a horror fan to Mara, and I'm really psyched about this. I know there are a few people who are worried about crossing Star Wars and horror. Star Wars has seen the fantasy, sci-fi, and romance genres. It even has traces of westerns in it (though sparsly) and now they're going into hardcore horror. The closest we've seen is torture scenes and Darth Maul, so hopefully this works out cause I could stand to see a couple more horror novels if this one works out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:28 pm Reply with quote  

In my opinion Schreiber doesn't go overboard with the gore. Mostly it's a matter of a scene popping up here and there once the story has progressed to that point. Chasing the Dead was more violent than Eat the Dark, the kills were actually witnessed there. In Eat the Dark most of the violence was seen after it had occurred. Of course that was in due part to the environment and the characters not being able to see what was going on. I also felt that Eat the Dark was smartly done. Everything really fell into place in that novel. It seemed like a big improvement over Chasing the Dead.

I think it is also worthy of note that Schreiber seems to be a pretty big horror movie buff. Thus they have their influence.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:34 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

does any one have a story line for it yet?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:24 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Not me. All I know is that it's placed during the Trilogy.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I believe it actually takes place right before the trilogy, but I would think this is a book that stands on its own and won't patter too much when it exactly takes place. I'm also hoping to find out more but it's still a way off from release.

"Then you saved my life. How disgusting. How unfortunate."
"No, don't gush on so. It was nothing, really."

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:45 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Can you believe it? For once, a release date has been moved to a sooner time, but, on the downside, it's also been changed to hardcover. Does Del Rey realize the economy isn't really in the best shape right now?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:57 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah, I'm not sure their strategy concerning all the hardcovers...

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:36 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Well, their strategy is make more money. It's just a bad strategy.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

But if they make more hardcovers, people are going to buy less books. So they make less money in the long run...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 4 of 6