Mara Jade Skywalker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:37 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

We would be back to the same situation because Caedus would, once again, be loose in the galaxy. Call in the Sword of the Jedi or the Ysalamiri again.

A lone Sith Lord either wins, dies or goes into hiding. Or repents.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reep, obviously if the LOTF storyline can change with taking Jacen alive then the end result can change as well. Why are you locked into the mentality that it can't? Once he's stripped of the Force, how do you think Jacen would react to what he's done? Change one thing and everything changes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You're saying you wanted him to repent?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:58 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'm not saying anything specific. I'm saying there are different possibilities that could happen.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:07 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I really don't see how. A Sith Lord is like an atomic bomb waiting to go off. Do you have any scenarios in mind?

About Jacen repenting though, I can see some pros and cons with it.
On one hand we'd still have Jacen as a character and it would be interesting to see him come to grips with what he's done. With Vader we never saw that. On the other hand, I don't want returning from the Dark Side to be easy. "Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny." Luke decided to risk it all to try to redeem his father. All of the odds were stacked against him. If characters start being redeemed en masse, that scene could quickly lose its power.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:30 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Life Is The Path wrote:
True. However, I don't see much of a problem with Mara reverting to her Hand ways, upon discovering her son was in danger. There's a high rate of murders in real life that deal with domestic violence, and a fair portion, if I remember correctly, are from just such occasions of parents protecting children. Or you could go with the easier expediency of looking at crime shows on TV, and noting how many killers are parents protecting their kids Laughing . But for my part, if I was a dazzling red-head with a past as the Emperors Hand, then turned to the light to become a Jedi, and discovered my one and only child was in danger? I'm pretty sure I'd go ape, too.

Which is why I have no problem with Mara's choice. Should she have done something else, of course. Is it logical for her to have made the choice she did, yes. And you must remember it wasn't entirely her just wanting to protect Ben. She also blamed herself because she convinced Luke that Jacen wasn't really sliding to the dark side. So not only did she want to protect her son, she wanted to protect her son from something that she felt could have been prevented if it wasn't for her. So she strapped up and went to fix the situation in a manner she had been heavily trained in.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, speaking as a middle-aged mother -- which I'm pretty sure none of the rest of you are, so I trump the rest of you LOL -- Not under any circumstances do I revert back to what I was/did as a 20 year old. Mara wasn't the same person she was when she was the Emperor's Hand. She had 30 years of growth since then. It's not rational that she'd revert back.

I know most of you can't relate to that experience and/or age, but trust me, it's hard to even look back 30 years and relate to the person you were at 20. It's like looking at a different person. You're just not going to revert.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:12 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

True, no one is the same person 30 years later, but... Well, Sacrifice begins with Mara wondering how things would have changed if she'd have killed Palpatine. And if she considered she, as a Jedi, wasn't strong enough to kill Jacen, it makes a lot of sense she turn back to her earlier trainning.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:19 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Seriously no it doesn't. She spent her entire Jedi life realizing what was wrong about the Emperor's Hand. It's just a bad, lazy plot device.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:25 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

You know what it's said: Desperate measures for desperate times. She knew perfectly well she couldn't take Jacen being a lonely Jedi. So, what else could she do? She had promised Ben she wouldn't tell Luke. What other choice did she have?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

You're buying into this because you're buying the entire line in the book. I'm saying it's just all off. First off, there's no way a mother would keep this stuff from their son's father. What she would say is, "We have to tell your father."

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:56 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I could argue that. But in the end, even if she tell that, if the boy doesn't want to tell his father, she has to decide if she breaks the promise she made and loses her son's trust or if she goes on. Well, since you are a mother, you must understand this, I suppose.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:04 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

No mother says, "We have to tell your dad, but I promise not to tell him."

Btw, Traviss isn't married and doesn't have any kids. So not the world's foremost expert on either of those.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:14 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

No, a mother can say "We have to tell your dad..." after she had promised no to tell what her son would say.

But I agree, it's difficult to know how things works when you haven't live them. I'm not a mother myself, but I have to rise my brother since he was 12 and I had to learn a few things in the way here.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:20 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Well, I have 3 sons age 37, 24 and 16. So I know how the whole mother-son thing works really well. Which is why I'm so critical of the whole Mara take on Jacen and Ben.

DNT I could understand it, but LOTF when Jacen's going dark right in front of everyone, and they know it? No, the first thing a mother would do is get her son away from someone like that. I don't care if he is pitching a fit and having a force tantrum. The answer to that is a couple of ysalamiri until junior starts behaving himself.

It's called getting grounded.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 15 of 19