What Game Are You Playing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 46, 47, 48, 49  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Gaming View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:06 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I traded in my 360 for my XB1. At the time I had no desire to play old 360 games. However, now, I'd love to be able to play Skyrim and Battlefront 2 again. Better yet would be for them to make a new Skyrim and the new Battlefront play like the originals. I'd like to see a Skyrim game where you could play with one or two other players, but I didn't really care for the MMO Elderscrolls game.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2016 12:19 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Same here. I've played over 150 hours of Skyrim, and I would still love to play it more. I've tried Arena a little bit, and am currently 5 hours into my Oblivion play-through. Skyrim was fantastic, Oblivion is captivating, and Arena was at least interesting, though a bit painful being dated as it is.

ESO, on the other hand, was just boring! It looked nice, there were other people, but it was just boring. Honestly, it wasn't holding my attention. I couldn't swim underwater and find hidden chests or treasures, I only found a cave or two to explore in all the mountains, and they were short and dull. I've heard explanations about underwater being too hard to render for an MMO, but that's just preposterous. GW2 does a fantastic job with this, and even has underwater combat! I always find the underwater environment for Guild Wars to be some of the most fascinating areas to explore. Especially when they're full of hidden passageways and tunnels and caves and who knows what else.

Also, ESO was a very solo experience. But it's an MMO! The whole point is to play with other people, and they make it very difficult to do so. Grouping is extremely clunky, and quests aren't shared. So you have to do everything twice. There is no icon for your group member on the minimap, so you're always having to spin circles to find them if they're not in front of you.

Bag space is EXTREMELY limited, and you actually share bank space with other characters! It's so hard to manage inventory that you spend most of your time doing exactly that. Don't even consider crafting, it will take up 100% of your inventory and then some.

Anyway...I wanted to love ESO so much, but there was just very little to love. The voice acting was great, the main story was interesting. But that was really about it. It's hard to put a finger on why it just couldn't hold my attention, but...it was boring. That's all I can say.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 3:58 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

55 hours into Oblivion, and I can safely say Skyrim has a worthy predecessor. I have come to the understanding that whichever one you play first will always be your biased perfection. Skyrim for me, Oblivion or Morrowind for others. It's a similar formula, and they have their pros and cons. But write a good story, build an immersive world, and don't fix what isn't broken.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I went to GameStop today and traded in a bunch of my old Wii games that I haven't played in a few years. Got a little over $20 in store credit for 9 games, which seemed worth it since I did get 3 games out of it (or one game depending on how you look at it). I got Far Cry: Compilation, which includes Far Cry 2, Far Cry 3, and Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon.

After playing Far Cry 2 for a bit earlier today, I can't say that I'm extremely pleased with it. I'm pretty sure that it's my fault though. I have a TV that's maybe 20 years old and even when really close to the TV I can't actually read any of the text so that could have something to do with it. But I played the intro to Far Cry 3 and it's pretty fun. I think it's kind of funny because the main character and I share the same first name.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:27 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I was in an EB Games over Easter and finally picked up XCOM: Enemy Unknown Complete Edition (includes XCOM: Enemy Within). I watched a great Let's Play series of Enemy Within and that same LPer is doing XCOM 2 now. It was $20 for the game in physical copy, or ~$30 for XCOM: Enemy Unknown and an additional ~$30 for Enemy Within on Steam.

Playing through it now. Had to abandon progress on the game last week though, as I forgot to save after a few missions and then got a team wiped out.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:05 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I got to play Battlefront for a while last night. I was able to complete several of the new Hutt Contracts, but still have a few more to complete. However, I really need to take a break from Battlefront and get back to Rocksmith on my bass.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:06 pm Reply with quote  

currently still plugging away at Battlefront. I'm happy to say my K/D now stands at .97 Which says a lot of just how very, very bad I was when I started (I attribute it to both trying to pigeonhole weapons into roles they weren't meant for and generally bad banzai charge tactics).

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:44 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

90+ hours into Oblivion, and I'm still having a fantastic time! I think I can offer some comparisons to Skyrim now. Below I'll include a list of things common to both games, and which game wins as far as which I liked better:

Oblivion vs. Skyrim
Environment: Skyrim - "You can't compare graphics! That's not fair!" I'm not comparing graphics, because that wouldn't be fair. But Skyrim is just so much more immersive. Unfortunately Oblivion feels very copy-pasted. The boring English countryside comprises the entirety of the landscape, and it's rather unexciting after awhile. Further, the dungeons are all exactly the same, which lends little in the way of exploring just for the sake of it. It's always fun to find little story tidbits, and cool items in the different dungeons and burial keeps, but the actual look and feel of it becomes boring.

Fighter's/Companion's Guild: Oblivion - The Fighter's Guild story line for Oblivion just felt more exciting than the Companion's Guild in Skyrim. Yes, you can turn into a Werewolf in Skyrim. But what did that ever do for you? You could only use it once a day, you couldn't change back at will, and it only lasted like a minute or two. Plus you had to equip everything again when you did revert back. It wasn't fun. Also, you never got anything out of finishing the Companion's Guild quest line. They also continued that unending fetch quest loop at the end so you never were able to actually "complete" the thing. At least in Oblivion you got rewards for sending the guildies out questing.

Thieve's Guild: Oblivion - Oblivion had a super fun story line for the Thieve's Guild! Skyrim's was alright. The whole Nightingale quest was fun or whatever. But there was so much fetch questing involved...it seriously became a chore. My husband actually kept a written spreadsheet for which quests he had finished in which cities, just so he didn't go crazy. I actually wanted to continue the Thieve's Guild quests in Oblivion. I blew through them all linearly...they were too much fun.

Mage's Guild: Skyrim - The Mage's Guild quest in Oblivion was fun, but I thought a lot more effort was put into the quest line in Skyrim. It was the first guild whose story line captivated me. Not to mention the fact that you couldn't even get in for awhile in Skyrim, having to get your magicka high enough just to cast that first atronach to prove oneself. I thought that was a nice, albeit small, touch.

The Dark Brotherhood: Oblivion - I have to give this to Oblivion, because I killed Astrid in Skyrim and wasn't able to join that guild. But I've heard Oblivion's is better, and I'm certainly enjoying it immensely. My favorite quest so far has been the "Whodunit?" very Clue-esque house party where you kill each of the guests one at a time in secret. Too much fun.

Main Quest: Skyrim - The story in Oblivion is interesting, but closing the gates over and over has become boring. I don't really care anymore, and I've only closed two. I don't relish closing another seven, or whatever it is. And in Skyrim I'm referring specifically to the quest line about Alduin. The Stormcloak/Imperial quest line, I couldn't care less about. But I thought the Alduin story, along with the Elder Scrolls and just the whole shebang, was fascinating and completely captivating. I remember daily awe progressing through all that.

Miscellaneous Quests: Tied - I thought both games did an excellent job of scattering miscellaneous quests around the landscape, many of which were a lot of fun. Hands down, though, "Lost to the Ages" will forever be my favorite miscellaneous quest. That's the quest about recovering the Atherium shards in the Dwemer ruins around Skyrim. Fantastic quest.

Inventory: Skyrim - Wow, the weight problem in Oblivion is just abysmally bad. Things just weigh too much! I thought Skyrim was bad, until I played Oblivion. Skyrim did just fine, and I simply complain too much. Oblivion is ridiculous. At this point in the game, I can carry 400 weight on my own strength. I also have the Morag Tong greaves, which add 100 weight. I also have the Gray Fox cowl, which adds 200 weight. I also have the spell to feather another 75 weight. And I have potions that feather another 100 weight. Altogether, that's 875 weight at one time. And yet! I cannot clear a single area (i.e. Dungeon or Burial Keep) without having to leave at least once to sell things. That is insanity! I've gotten so tired of it, I just leave everything lying around at this point unless I absolutely need the gold.

Transportation: Oblivion - The horse in Oblivion seems to have so much more value than in Skyrim. I ride my horse everywhere. I got so annoyed with the horses in Skyrim that I never rode one. They died far too easily, and unless you bought the horse, it would just wander off and disappear whenever you would dismount.

Combat: Skyrim - I have to give the combination of dual wielding, spells, shouts, etc. to Skyrim. Although being able to cast a spell and wield a sword at the same time in Oblivion almost makes me change my mind...

I could go on and on, but I'll stop here. Both games have their pros and cons, obviously, and both are amazing games. Personally I have to give the edge to Skyrim for its far superior immersive quality. Plus I played it first, and I will always love it more. But Oblivion is a fantastic game all the same. Smile

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:12 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

So has anyone else played Doom's open beta this weekend? While I am enjoying myself, it's for one reason only: I am playing Halo.

The game is such a blatant Halo clone, I honestly wouldn't know I wasn't playing Halo except for, well...not much. The armor, the environments, the weapons, the music, the gameplay, the loadouts, the matches, the announcer, etc. A lot of people are calling it Call of Halo, and I don't think that could be more accurate. As one reviewer put it so succinctly:

Cons: Everything.

Pros: We finally have Halo on Steam.

Don't get me wrong, I love Halo. But I'm not here to play Halo. I was here to play something unique, to play the game I remember so nostalgically from my childhood. I can only hope they have something special in store for the campaign.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:31 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Awwww I forgot about Doom this weekend! Mehhhhh not a shiny review I was looking for, but i do love me some Halo........ Just don't want a clone. Doom was so original it shouldn't have the problem of needing to clone something......

I remember god mode/every gun was the way to play! Maybe we will get that lol

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:09 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I guess people forgot Doom III.

Since people only seem to like the nostalgia, I agree that it would have been much better served by appealing to that in some way, like Farcry 2.
Spread out all around us is a petrified world, a world of Things, where we ourselves, our gestures, and even our feelings figure in as Things. Nothing can belong to us as truly our own in such a landscape of death. Under commodity occupation the most concrete truth about everything is the truth of it's infinite replaceablity.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 9:30 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

I remember I purposely never played Doom III. My Doom nostalgia glasses spy only Doom and Doom II. Those are the ones I played over and over and over again as a kid. The first memories I have playing computer games are with Doom. So while I may not be a rabid fan that's played every title, I still look rather nostalgically on the franchise. Smile

The Beta did not feel well balanced. No one gun felt awesome. As a mediocre player, I did not find that there was any advantage or disadvantage to the weapons. They all felt the same, and I was disappointed by that. The rocket launcher? It's the default loadout weapon, and it's ridiculously under powered. You have to get a direct hit on an already seriously damaged player to kill them, or at least three direct hits with a rocket launcher to kill them otherwise. At one point I turned a corner to find a group of four enemy players all scrunched together. Huzzah! I thought here my rocket launcher would finally play its part. Four rockets into the middle of that group as I backpedaled, and you may guess the outcome. I didn't kill a single one, but died instead.

The super shotgun, on the other hand, is actually more powerful at close range. But useless from afar, of course. The rocket launcher is also not good from afar, as it's more of a burst damage effect, and everyone just jumps away from it.

The sniper rifle does a decent bit of damage, but I never was able to get a one hit kill with it (always had to be two), and the maps are not suited for sniping.

Melee I found completely useless, but I guess I just have to chalk that up to being a terrible player? No matter how many times I would end up in close combat and spam the melee button, I never got anything to happen. Yet over and over and over again I was assassinated with a melee strike to the face or back of the head. It became infuriating after awhile.

Anyway, the game was fun. My final match I had 13 kills and 4 assists, which is not too shabby. But I could never shake the Halo vibe. The game just didn't have its own identity. Again, I'll wait to see what the campaign hopefully has in store.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:34 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I said why not and tried the Beta yesterday (even though it ended Sunday) and bam it was online, they extended gameplay by one more day...... Laaaaaaaame.

Mara nailed it, it's a Halo clone....... Not even a good one! Like a poorly made fan creation...... Who must have only liked Doom 3, all of the guns were terrible, the pick ups are laughably just sitting in these 3' high boxes... Baaaaad game

"Sure I can't move a rock with my mind, but, boy can I make that rock think its been moved."

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:44 am Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Anyone else playing the mobile game Galaxy of Heroes?

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 12:42 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

The reviews for Doom's recent release have given me hope. Supposedly the single player campaign has made up for the impressions of the multiplayer beta in every way possible. I am seeing incredibly positive reviews everywhere. Might need to bite the bullet on this one...

Page 47 of 49