What Game Are You Playing?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 25, 26, 27 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Life Is The Path wrote:
That would be so cool! But sadly I have it on the Xbox (and no live gold). I'm guessing you have it on the computer? Thanks anyway Smile .

Yes, but brilliantly enough, I think you can play it cross-platform. Don't quote me on that yet, I'll have to double-check. But I'm almost positive...

...although the lack of Live may be an issue. I'll check into it.

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:41 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Mara Jade Skywalker wrote:
Life Is The Path wrote:
That would be so cool! But sadly I have it on the Xbox (and no live gold). I'm guessing you have it on the computer? Thanks anyway Smile .

Yes, but brilliantly enough, I think you can play it cross-platform. Don't quote me on that yet, I'll have to double-check. But I'm almost positive...

...although the lack of Live may be an issue. I'll check into it.

I think you can play it between PS3 and PC, but not between XBox 360 and anything else.

I bought it for PS3, and it came with a free download of it for PC.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
-Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:08 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Yes, sadly that is correct. I was thinking of the PS3. I knew I had played it cross-platform with a friend, but I mistakenly remembered it was the Xbox. Sad

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:40 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Oooh, I have a PS3! Maybe I should go buy it, haha.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 4:02 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I finally got into Oblivion. I just decided to hammer through and it didn't take long for me to like it. I just HATED the opening.

Oblivion has much, much better dungeons; they're not linear loops round to a hidden entrance at the beginning, bridges can collapse and the Ayleid Ruins are really, really scary. They (Ayleid Ruins) don't have many enemies in them, but the atmosphere is super creepy.

Magic in Oblivion is SO much different. There are spells where you have to touch the enemy for them to work, most spells have varying magnitudes (weak fireball-strong fireball etc), and there are no spell tomes. The only way to get more spells is to buy them, and for the most part they are vary expensive.

I think the quests are better than Skyrim, not just go-here-fetch-this or go-there-kill-these.

But weapons and armour degrade, which is very annoying. So to avoid this, I'm just using Unarmed (which is a levelling skill in these games), but I do sometimes feel guilty about punching a mud crab to death...

And the best part; no four-minute loading times Wink

I'm not bashing Skyrim, I like them both, but to be honest they're two completely different games.

Also played a bit of Fallout: New Vegas. I can't find any bottle caps, medkits, repairs or mods. Very difficult.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:35 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

@Mara: Thanks for trying, anyway. I appreciate it Smile .

Finished Pandora Tomorrow. It's a decent enough game, though there are a few niggling complaints about it that stop it from being a great game.

Now playing Chaos Theory. Oh, this is a great game. There are problems with it, to be fair - like the end mission score board. Why make cool animations and have more ways of killing people if you penalise people for it? Besides, one of the core precepts of the series is Fifth Freedom. Where you kill people. This is quite annoying when the game forces the player into shoot-outs, where killing people is unavoidable. And you're still penalised for it. Another is (I think, I can't remember) that it has cameras which you can't shoot out. It impacts the gameplay in a significant way. The last is the pre-mission bit, where you choose a load-out. That, to me, is superfluous, as the assault one offers less than stealth, and stealth isn't as good as Redding's recommendation.

Beyond that, it's an incredibly fun game. It has a lot more depth in characterisation, the lighting texture is much improved, and the levels are, simply, much more fun. There's more variety to them. Little tests which aren't always repeated later in the game, but they add some memorable moments. Like in an embassy, you have to use the bodies of the guards to get passed laser beams. In the Displace offices, it has walls that can be shot with an electronic beam and they become transparent! How cool is that? And it's not just a gimmick, it can't affect your gameplay in both positive and negative ways.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:17 pm Reply with quote  

DannikJerriko wrote:

Oblivion has much, much better dungeons; they're not linear loops round to a hidden entrance at the beginning, bridges can collapse and the Ayleid Ruins are really, really scary. They (Ayleid Ruins) don't have many enemies in them, but the atmosphere is super creepy.

If you are playing on the PC I recommend downloading Martigen's Monster Mod. It adds a whole slew of new baddies that make dungeon crawling even more fun and also solves the much hated scaling issues.

Also if you level armorer up high enough I believe your hammer never breaks so making gear repairs becomes fairly easy once you level the skill enough.

Quote:

Magic in Oblivion is SO much different. There are spells where you have to touch the enemy for them to work, most spells have varying magnitudes (weak fireball-strong fireball etc), and there are no spell tomes. The only way to get more spells is to buy them, and for the most part they are vary expensive.

Spell tomes were a DLC fist introduced in Oblivion. Not sure if GOTY editions come with it though. I agree though that magic was a lot of fun in Oblivion, espcially being able to cast a fireball at an enemy while carrying a shield and sword. Twisted Evil

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Salaris Vorn wrote:
DannikJerriko wrote:

If you are playing on the PC I recommend downloading Martigen's Monster Mod. It adds a whole slew of new baddies that make dungeon crawling even more fun and also solves the much hated scaling issues.

Alas, I am not playing on PC, merely an Xbox. And what are the "much hated scaling issues?"

Salaris Vorn wrote:
Spell tomes were a DLC fist introduced in Oblivion. Not sure if GOTY editions come with it though. I agree though that magic was a lot of fun in Oblivion, espcially being able to cast a fireball at an enemy while carrying a shield and sword. Twisted Evil

The GOTYE comes with Knights of the Nine and The Shivering Isles, do either of these contain the spell tomes? Or is it a separate DLC?

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:23 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Chaos Theory. I absolutely love it!

Now on to Double Agent. I actually quite like this one. It is a big step away from stealth, in parts (mainly the Kinshasa level), but it still feels like Splinter Cell, so I can forgive its flaws.
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:52 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dug up SW Battlefront II for the PC again. It's amazing how good it still is! (With some map mods of course, haha)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Finished Double Agent. I rushed it at the end, forgoing my usual stealthiness. It's odd, but in that one last level (I think) I killed more people than in the first three games put together. And in playing Conviction (which I've just started), I've killed roughly as many people. It's a fun game, sure, but I don't like that I'm not allowed to knock people unconscious. I think, after I finish it, I'll do another run through - only without using Mark and Execute.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote  

DannikJerriko wrote:

Alas, I am not playing on PC, merely an Xbox. And what are the "much hated scaling issues?"

Enemies scale with you and the scaling is/was to the point that weaker enemies/creatures would literally disappear from the game world and be replaced by harder "level appropriate" enemies. On quests that involved NPC companions this could make playing the mission more difficult than if you did it at a low level (the friendly NPC gear does not level so a guard's equipment would be very powerful at low levels but at high levels it was virtually useless and incapable of effectively dealing with high level Daedra). For example a Goblin cave inhabited by a tribe would have 1 warlord and 1 sorcerer/mage and then a bunch of random weak Goblin foot soldiers regardless of level. By comparison a Goblin cave occupied by Goblins without a tribal affiliation would be occupied by the weakest Goblins at level 1 and then only be occupied by warlords and mages at high levels (making those caves impractical to raid since it was in essence a cave filled only with "boss" type enemies).

Enemy NPC equipment also scaled so you could get a set of full daedric armor after raiding one dungeon with bandits because every random mob had the best armor available for your level (merchants virtually never had the best equipment by comparison).

This seems to have been fixed in Skyrim both loot wise and enemy wise. Don't get me wrong I love Oblivion and even with the leveling faults had a blast playing it. You just need to make sure you come fully equipped for a dungeon raid.

Quote:

The GOTYE comes with Knights of the Nine and The Shivering Isles, do either of these contain the spell tomes? Or is it a separate DLC?

If you got other DLC like "horse armor" or "the thieves den" (a house mod) then you should have spell tomes. (before the GOTYE they sold a collection of all the DLC made up to that point and labeled the collection "Knights of the Nine" even though that was the name of only one of the included DLC; as such I'm not sure if the GOTYE did the same thing or whether Knights of the Nine means only that DLC is included).

If you installed everything on the discs included in the GOTYE and checking the data files shows that you only have Knights of the Nine and Shivering Isles as available add-ons then it is very probable that you will need to get the DLC separately. (you can probably skip all the house mods as they don't have much of a quest and only give you a new "house" to stash stuff in. If you are big into RP then maybe getting the DLC with a "house" suitable to your character might be worth it but otherwise the houses you can buy in town are fine).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:25 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Salaris Vorn wrote:
Enemy NPC equipment also scaled so you could get a set of full daedric armor after raiding one dungeon with bandits because every random mob had the best armor available for your level (merchants virtually never had the best equipment by comparison)

But I can never find decent equipment on Enemies. No good weapons or armour. But sometimes merchants do sell good stuff, but it's ludicrously expensive. I find it very difficult to find good equipment, and when I do find some I'm too paranoid to use it for fear of it degrading.

I'm playing a LOT of Team Fortress 2 at the moment. Unfortunately I haven't been able to play MvM yet, and since the update the whole game seems to be a bit iffy.

Edit: Also, I don't know whether it's the game or my Internet being rubbish, recently my ping has gone up to at most 700, but usually around 250-450 and I've lost connection to the item server quite a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote  

DannikJerriko wrote:
Salaris Vorn wrote:
Enemy NPC equipment also scaled so you could get a set of full daedric armor after raiding one dungeon with bandits because every random mob had the best armor available for your level (merchants virtually never had the best equipment by comparison)

But I can never find decent equipment on Enemies. No good weapons or armour. But sometimes merchants do sell good stuff, but it's ludicrously expensive. I find it very difficult to find good equipment, and when I do find some I'm too paranoid to use it for fear of it degrading.

How far level wise are you? Also you find good equipment on bandits and marauders (NPC enemies). Daedra, goblins, undead and similar enemies usually don't have good equipment drops. NPC enemies should always have equipment scaled to your level. The way the game works is that you will almost never be able to get better equipment than what NPCs can equip (unlike Skyrim). All equipment degrades but it is easily repaired with the armoring skill (and when it "breaks" all you have to do is repair it, it doesn't/shouldn't disappear from your inventory).

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I think I'm only level 5 or so, so that would explain it. One thing I don't think I mentioned is that levelling up in Oblivion is much, much harder than Skyrim. I've for just over for hours on my new character in Skyrim and I'm level 4, but about 15 hours on Oblivion and I'm level 5...

I know that equipment doesn't disappear, but I'm afraid that there'll be a situation where I really need some good armour or weapons.

Also, I think I've run into a glitch in the main quest. I've done the bit of the quest "Finding the Heir," after you run through the Chapel in Kvatch to find the guy, but he's dead and you have to bring his ring to the captain. The journal says to find Martin, but the marker leads me back into Savlian so I can't find him at all. This means I can't continue the main quest, meaning no more Oblivion Gates can be opened. Help?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Mos Eisley Cantina

Page 26 of 38