Faith
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 25, 26, 27  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Paranthropus? Confused

Are these genus names in chronological order because I did not learn about Paranthropos in Bio class. We went straight from Australopithecus to Homo.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Some sources link paranthropus under astralopithicus and some separate them. There is debate about whether or not all the species are the same genus. National Geographic for one separates them.

They are also referred to as robust astralopiths and gracile astralopiths. There are distinct physical differences between robustus and gracile, and robustus could be either a divergent or convergent evolution.

You're instructor wasn't really wrong, but he probably should have given you the complete information about robustus and gracile, including that they may actually not be the same genus.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 1:50 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Ah, cool. I have a test on Monday so it's good to know. Wink

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Does anyone think it possible that the two branches of the Christian Church - Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox - could ever be reunited?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:49 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Alan Skywalker V wrote:
Does anyone think it possible that the two branches of the Christian Church - Roman Catholic and Greek Orthodox - could ever be reunited?

No.
1. The big issue that they would need to decide is whether they are going to listen to the Pope or the head of the GO. Roman Catholics will not follow anyone but the Pope because in the Catholic beliefs (based on the Bible) Jesus gave St. Peter the overseeing of the Church. The GO Church is ran by several ecclesial bodies unlike the RCC.

2. Bibles-the Roman Catholic Bible is different than Greek Orthodox Bible. No one is going to risk taking away holy book or adding a book that may or may not be holy.

3. Saints-Some of the saints are different.

4. Greek Orthodox believe they carry the tradition of the church founded by St. Paul. The Roman Catholics by St. Peter

"Vote for Papa Palpatine".

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:03 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Not to mention that the Crusades, especially the Fourth, didn't help matters at all between East and West.

I've been doing a Church History class in college and read about the East-West Schism, and that sparked my interest, so I've been reading quite a bit about the split and what followed online.

It probably is unlikely that they would ever be reunited, but I was curious to see what others thought. At least tension seems to have eased in the last few years, especially since John Paul II and Benedict XVI met with Patriarchs Demetrius I and Bartholomew I.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:36 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

SidiousThrawn wrote:
Roman Catholics will not follow anyone but the Pope because in the Catholic beliefs (based on the Bible) Jesus gave St. Peter the overseeing of the Church.

I've never found that passage. I've been told that by many many Catholics, but they can't show me anything about that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Caedus_16 wrote:
SidiousThrawn wrote:
Roman Catholics will not follow anyone but the Pope because in the Catholic beliefs (based on the Bible) Jesus gave St. Peter the overseeing of the Church.

I've never found that passage. I've been told that by many many Catholics, but they can't show me anything about that.

17 Jesus replied, “Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by flesh and blood, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter,[b] and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades[c] will not overcome it. 19 I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be[d] bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be[e] loosed in heaven.” 20 Then he ordered his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Messiah.

Matthew: Chapter 16.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:56 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

I'd just like to say that I find the topic of religion fascinating. All of the wars and conspiracies and politics and stuff. I'm not religious, but I really want to read the Bible as it just seems like a good book. I probably won't take it to be fact though. Actually, definitely, not probably. I do believe there was a man called Jesus who claimed to be the son of God, and then the world went crazy over this (Not crazy as in mental, defective etc. the same way people go crazy about SW or Bieber). I really must get round to reading the Da Vinci Code.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Skip the Davinci Code and read Holy Blood, Holy Grail which is what DC ripped it's idea off of from.

If you really want to do some mental push-ups read Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. It's about secret societies and pretty much covers all of HB,HG. Not only is it the best book on the occult I've read, it's one of the greatest works of literature period.

If you want to have your brain do some flips in a different way that is not intellectually taxing read Illuminatus! trilogy by Robert Anton Wilson and Bob Shea about how everything is a conspiracy, even the conspiracy. But beware if sex, drugs and Third Reich zombies rising from the sea are not your thing.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

You had me at Third Reich zombies Laughing
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it (or even read all of it). These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:41 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Ha, I was thinking the same! Wink

"It's not about the legacy you leave, it's about the life you live." ~Mara Jade Skywalker

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Life, I have a question concerning your philosophy/religion. You consider yourself a Pagan, correct? Do you think the gods are concerned with morality? Pagan gods seem to be portrayed in plays and poetry as volatile, jealous etc like human beings. A lot of times they don't even seem "good", just powerful and their anger seems to stem from snubbing or jealousy rather than indignation. Thoughts?

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:58 am Reply with quote  
EUC Staff
EUC Staff

Reepicheep wrote:
Life, I have a question concerning your philosophy/religion. You consider yourself a Pagan, correct? Do you think the gods are concerned with morality? Pagan gods seem to be portrayed in plays and poetry as volatile, jealous etc like human beings. A lot of times they don't even seem "good", just powerful and their anger seems to stem from snubbing or jealousy rather than indignation. Thoughts?

Forgive my ignorance, but wasn't one of the ten Commandments something like "I am a jealous God, thou that only worship me."?

On a side note, I go to a Christian school (but I'm an atheist) and we were in assembly and the head was wrapping up the assembly by telling us to do good stuff, and the only reason we should do it is God, and he said "Jesus helped other people, he couldn't die, what if he was a God... uh... what if he was God?". Smooth.

You shall learn that history is an intricate weaving of many events. No one thing can be understood without the proper context.

The best techniques are passed on by the survivors.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:12 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Dannick Jerriko wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but wasn't one of the ten Commandments something like "I am a jealous God, thou that only worship me."?

Haha, true. I think the difference though is that according to Christian thought God is deserving of our praise and is entitled to jealousy, because there is nothing greater than Him. End of story. With the Pagan gods they seem to be in actual competition with each other. Zeus rules Olympus, but it doesn't seem to be because he deserves it (he's hardly a paragon of virtue) or that it's his rightful place (he did, after all, usurp his father Cronus), but because he has the power to take the position. Might makes right.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 20 of 27