Vestara Khai
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe View previous topic :: View next topic  
 PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:01 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I like the idea of self-imposed exile. That would give the EU author's another character to write stand alone books about chronicling her own adventures. Then 2-3 years down the road bring her back in a 5-6 book series once her and Ben have both matured maybe they could then come together after learning themselves better. During this time Vestara could walk the line neither a Jedi because it so contradictory the her upbringing but nor a Sith because of the fondness she found in helping others and not having every move or action she made part of some calculated scheme for self-advancement.

I don't know, I guess I feel like the Skywalker's deserve a bit of happiness when it comes to women. Incessant pining and epic loss does not necessarily have to an inherent trait of the Skywalker family.

I guess my point is, please don't kill her off, and please don't cast her as irredeemably evil. All I am asking for (at worst) is some ambiguity in her outcome and the path that she will eventually take! I think that is fair.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:42 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

One thing I don't want to see is Vestara forever walking in grey. Please no more Cade Skywalkers.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Reepicheep wrote:
One thing I don't want to see is Vestara forever walking in grey. Please no more Cade Skywalkers.

Luke walks in the grey! Actually that's the stance of the New Jedi Order, they're more grey Jedi than anything else. And besides, what's wrong with Cade? It ain't Star Wars if there isn't a whiny Skywalker kid runnin wround Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

Lol! Too true! A redeemed non-jedi Vestara would be good.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:00 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I agree about her not walking "forever in grey" but I think it would be interesting to see her struggling with who she taught to be growing up on Kesh and who she found herself becoming during her time with Ben and Luke and the emotional connection she developed with Ben.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Seems like she's similar to Starkiller in the sense that her perception of the Force is fundamentally different than a Jedi would have. Even after renouncing his allegiance to Vader, Starkiller doesn't show any sort of restraint and is driven by his emotions.

Vestara seems like she could be the same way. Perhaps become a bounty hunter like Tahiri.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I believe that her perception of the Force could be an advantage in the sense that doing what has to be done does not always present the same moral dilemma to her that it might to a Jedi such as Ben. I do not think that this makes her fundamentally evil though. What she did at the end of "Ascension" was deplorable; killing Natua to save Ben. In her defense though, she was in a place teeming with Dark Side Energy, and Ben - her unwavering anchor to morality was incapacitated on the verge of death. So, without him to guide her actions she reverted back to what she knew to save him. She made a calculated decision that killing Natua was the only sure way to save Ben. She knew she could defeat Natua in a lightsaber duel but did not know if she and Natua could together defeat their adversary in a timely enough manner to save Ben. When you look at it from this point of view, what choice did she really have?

What she did was wrong, yes but not surprising. Many of the Jedi have been tempted and swayed by the Darkside and Vestara was technically still a Sith. So, the choice she made, considering the other factors was rational, cold but nonetheless rational from her perspective.

I guess the real question is are there bigger plans for her in the future or have the EU Author's decided that Ben is too young to have already met his potential Mara so they are going to kill her off. Like I said originally when threw out my thoughts on Vestara, there are so many interesting and exciting path's that her character could venture down if she is allowed to survive "Apocalypse". May "The Force" be with her!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Let me clarify. I don't want her to be an on-again off-again dark-side user. I can handle that for a bit, but once it goes on for too long, it just gets annoying.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:38 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I didn't say that she should be an on-again off-again force user just that she is not bound by the same moral code to which the Jedi attempt to adhere.

If they don't kill her off on the road to redemption en route to possibly becoming a Jedi it is likely to be rocky one for her. I could see her spending time as a Tahiri Veila type character that uses the force but is no longer a Jedi; in Vestara's case no longer a Sith. During this time she would have to do some serious soul searching to figure out what she wants.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I wouldn't mind her being a Dark Jedi. Something along those lines.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:07 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Vestara must be the hope of the Sith, regardless of the path of Darth Krayt.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote  

The hope of the Sith? You mean like their new hero to lead them against the Jedi?

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:09 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

I am optimistic that she won't choose to remain a Sith, even though she seems resigned to the fact that she is still one at the end of "Ascension".

Even though she has cast doubt upon herself Ben still believes in her, and Loves her. The bulldogged determination of The Skywalker family did bring Vader back to the light even though his final act of retribution cost him his life. I hope Vestara's fate is less dubious.

I'm not ready to count Ben out yet. I still think there is a chance for Ben to rescue Vestara, or at least hope that will prevent from a full-blown remission back to who she was before joining Ben and Luke on the Jade Shadow.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:52 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yes, but as Anakin Skywalker Vader was raised as a Jedi. Vestara was raised as a Sith in a Sith culture. Upbringing counts for a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

^ Incidentally, I just read this on Twitter: Razz

“Some of us who seem quite nice people may, in fact, have made so little use of a good heredity and a good upbringing that we are really worse than those whom we regard as fiends. That is why we are told not to judge. We see only the results which a man’s choices make out of his raw material. But God does not judge him on the raw material at all, but on what he has done with it.” - C. S. Lewis

I don't want Vestara to become a full-fledged Jedi, because Ascension all but stated she never could. I have nothing against her, but I wouldn't want a statement like that to made and then taken back. I think Vestara is in an interesting position now and it might be a shame if she just became a Jedi.

I'll probably get lynched for saying this (I like Zahn, really I do), but I always found it a little cheap that Mara was able to kill Luke's clone, thereby satisfying her thirst for revenge. What would've happened if there wasn't a clone? Maybe now we'll find out. Of course Vestara doesn't have any ddesire to kill Ben, but she thinks it might be necessary.

Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » Characters of the Expanded Universe

Page 5 of 5