Uphill, Downhill or Nowhere Fast

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uphill, Downhill or Nowhere Fast
 PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:06 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Here's an interesting topic. Do you think the world is getting better with each passing day, down in flames or staying about the same as it's always been? Personally, I think society has evened out over time with peaks and valleys, but not a linear direction either way. Take crime for example. If you ask someone has crime increased, decreased or stated the same over time, 80% are going to saw, "It's increased, of course!" If you actually look at it, it all evens out. There was lawlessness in the Middle Ages, pirates in the 17th-18th Century and a bank robber spree in the 30's. If I had to pick one of the extremes, I would pick things are getting worse (and they might be, at the moment), but it might very well be the cynic talking for me.

Where sky and water meet,
Where the waves grow sweet,
Doubt not, Reepicheep,
To find all you seek,
There is the utter east.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:32 am Reply with quote  

Nowhere fast gets my vote. If you look at points in time you might see ups and downs, but on the whole it all averages out like you said Reep. When things get really bad on any issues, things happen to fix it. And they say all good things come to an end, so I guess you can only go uphill for so long.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:55 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Yeah nowhere fast, for the most part. It seems like we keep repeating the same mistakes overall - wars, the economy, etc.

One area I think we are moving (hard to say if its up or down) is technology. Maybe I am biased because its my field, but it feels like we are moving really, really fast. We may not have flying cars - put our cars are all computer driven, they even parallel park now. Even gear heads have laptops to tune their rides. I grew up with an apple IIe and now my phone can do, well almost everything. I feel like we are getting to be too dependent on technology - being connected 24 - 7. I try to get out and go for hikes and camp whenever I can, but I still check my email, social networks, blogs, etc almost every single day. When I look at the oil spill and how apple made a phone that loses calls depending on how you hold it I wonder if we getting too dependent on the technology and less dependent on our own abilities and our own opinions.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:39 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: Sitting in front of a fireplace on Naboo exchanging pathetic dialogue with Anakin

Humanity is definitely degenerating as far as I'm concerned. I'd elaborate, but I'm way too tired at the moment.

So this is how liberty dies....with thunderous applause.

Those without swords can still die upon them

The world is a mess and I just need to rule it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Meditation Grove

Page 1 of 1