Reboot?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media View previous topic :: View next topic  

Reboot?
Yes
12%
 12%  [ 2 ]
No
87%
 87%  [ 14 ]
Total Votes : 16

Reboot?
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:41 pm Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

So on another thread people were discussing a reboot of the prequel trilogy. Whould anyone approve of a complete reboot of the EU? It seams the EU is so packed it is hard to keep it all straight. Dc has recently done a reboot as has Marvel in the past. Is this something fans would approve of or would they riot in protest? Jusr an interesting thought. If you oppose a reboot, what is your reasoning? If you approve, what would you like to see changed?[/quote]

Last edited by chewbacca.89 on Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:52 am; edited 1 time in total

Re: Reboor?
 PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:45 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

chewbacca.89 wrote:
So on another thread people were discussing a reboot of the prequel trilogy. Whould anyone approve of a complete reboot of the EU? It seams the EU is so packed it is hard to keep it all straight. Dc has recently done a reboot as has Marvel in the past. Is this something fans would approve of or would they riot in protest? Jusr an interesting thought. If you oppose a reboot, what is your reasoning? If you approve, what would you like to see changed?
[/quote]

DC hasn't rebooted, just begun all new volumes. All previous material still counts in the in-universe chronology, they just began new stories at #1 to start everything up and gain new writers and buyers.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

That's a big no for me. There's no need. And I'd also dispute the idea that the EU is too packed. Maybe if you only look at Han, Luke, and Leia but is more then enough room to keep telling stories about the Star Wars Universe even during the Empire vs New Republic era. Ok, you might have a point in the Clone War era, but that only lasted a few years anyways.

Oh and DC did do a reboot, not a complete one but their claim that all their old stories still fit is no where close to being true. All the Teen Titans/Titans stories are either gone or have to massively altered to fit. The same goes with several other books as well. Green Lantern and Batman, for the most part, are the ones that came out mostly intact. And Marvel never really did reboot, they'll renumber from time to time and retcon things here and there but they've never done anything close to a reboot. Spiderman with, Brand New Day, is the closest you can get to a reboot and that ended up being the same stories with Peter and MJ just not being married for them.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:28 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

A few pages"

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_New_52

An interview with DC Comics executive editor Eddie Berganza and editor-in-chief Bob Harras reveals that the new continuity does not constitute a full reboot of the DC Universe but rather a "soft reboot". While many characters underwent a reboot or revamp, much of the DC Universe's history has remained intact. Many major storylines such as Blackest Night, Brightest Day, Identity Crisis, Batman: A Death in the Family and Batman: The Killing Joke are still a part of DC continuity. DC editorial has also constructed a timeline that details the new history.

http://m.wired.com/underwire/2011/10/dc-comics-best-worst-new-52/

After enduring unhealthy doses of marketing and a head-spinning month of rebooted first issues, Wired.com's verdict on DC Comics' New 52 is in.

The good news? The New 52 dominated sales in September, with its expansive retooling of its characters pushing DC past perennial competitor Marvel Comics for the first time in nearly a decade. The bad news? Thanks to its sprawling series roster, the New 52 reboot campaign barely came in average in the narrative ambition department.

and which storylines to keep or ignore:.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote  
Padawan
Padawan

Sorry.....had issues posting from my phone.

While I agree that many old elements of dc are still present, it is still at least a soft reboot.

Not trying to argue or start drama about new 52, just using it as an example...

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:55 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I think a reboot of the EU would be a HUGE disservice to the long time fans. That is exactly what set Star Wars apart from most other stories, especially Star Trek. Continuity between works and making things work is what makes Star Wars better than the rest. I believe if they do a reboot, many long time fans will abandon the franchise. Hopefully we won't find out the hard way in January.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:29 am Reply with quote  

They've poured so much work into continuity, it would be a waste to undo it.

"I believe toys resonate with us as humans, we can hold them them, it's tactile, real! They are totems for our extended beliefs and imaginations. A fetish for ideas that hold as much interest and passion as old religious relics for some. We display them in our homes. They show who we are. They are signals for similar thinking people. A way we connect with each other...and I guess thats why I do toys. That connection." -Ashley Wood

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:32 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

After all the countless novels and such? I certainly hope not.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:25 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

I'd probably say no to a reboot, but I wouldn't mind an alternate "Ultimate"-esque EU where there isn't as much material but the overall quality is better. I'd love to see a post-ROTJ world without the Vong or Killiks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:33 am Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

After watching the recent Spider-man and enjoying it SOOOO much- I had to wonder why it is that I'm ok with Marvel doing it- and reluctant with SW.

It's like because SW is still growing we're not desperate enough for more. If we were maybe reinvented wouldn't be so taboo? IDK.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:34 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

No to a reboot.

Why all the retcons, if they'd just make a reboot? What would a reboot bring anyway. Another 20 or so years reading about the Big 3 from both trilogies or something. Plus a lot of confused fans, including myself.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Location: In a galaxy far, far - No, I'm behind you! Got you! Boo!

Why do you think an alternate universe (or reboot) would be better in quality?
I am a Star Wars fan. That doesn't mean that I hate or love Jar Jar. That doesn't mean I hate or love Lucas, or agree or disagree 100% with him. That doesn't mean I prefer the PT over the OT, or vice versa. That doesn't mean I hate the EU, or even love all of it. These are not prerequisites. Being a man is not a prerequisite. Being a geek is not a prerequisite. The only prerequisite is that I love something about Star Wars. I am a Star Wars fan.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote  
Administrator
Administrator

Hogy wrote:

Why all the retcons, if they'd just make a reboot?

The retcons are fixing a broken system. You HAVE to have them or reality sets in- that we don't have continuity because GL doesn't care about it even in the films.

Hogy wrote:
What would a reboot bring anyway. Another 20 or so years reading about the Big 3 from both trilogies or something. Plus a lot of confused fans, including myself.

It would free the story telling. At present EU gets blamed for going off GLs script with concepts. And then the EU will try to align with what ever new thing GL thinks TCW should have for ratings.

As for 20 years of the big 3- get used to that- we got Star Wars the comic about to come out AGAIN and do precisely that. They will always default to movie characters as their primaries. Cause they fail to give the EU the chance it deserves. It always plays second fiddle. As for confused fans- heck it'd end the confusion. At present it IS CONFUSING reading older works. And that won't go away- at least with newer stuff you could have one saga set more in line with GLs current visions and one that's more as the EU as we know it goes.

-Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don't give a damn. None shall pass.
-
-To become a Jedi, it is not the Force one must learn to control but oneself.
-
-Podcasts: Star Wars Beyond the Films, The Star Wars Report, & EUCast

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote  
Knight
Knight

I've noticed people complaining a lot about TCW just doing things to make money, sell toys, get ratings, etc. I think that TCW has to do this, because if SW isn't profitable, problems ensue. Hasbro won't make SW toys if they won't make a profit. Lego won't make SW Legos if they don't make a profit. It's not all about making George Lucas rich.

“No. I am Ganner. This threshold is mine. I claim it for my own. Bring on your thousands, one at a time or all in a rush. I don’t give a damn. None shall pass.”

“Eventually, we all betray something, Tahiri. It’s what you stay true to that counts.”

"Shaken, not stirred, will get you cold water with a dash of gin and dry vermouth. The reason you stir it with a special spoon is so not to chip the ice. James is ordering a weak martini and being snooty about it."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote  
Master
Master

Of course making profit is important. The problem is that Lucas is re-hashing elements for the sole purpose of making money. If Darth Maul did not sell as much action figures as he does now, there would be no Savage Oppress or Darth Maul death retcon.

The previous CW series introduced villains such as Durge and General Grievous. You could argue that this was a marketing scheme as well, but it was a far more creative one. Grievous and Durge were badass and at the time they weren't re-hashed. They definitely brought in profit, but they were also well-done characters and their plots weren't forced.

Oppress and Maul? Definitely not the same. They were born on Maul's fame and marketability. While the episodes featuring them were well-done, they were forced. You could tell that it was an excuse to bring Maul back into canon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The EUCantina Forums Forum Index » The Expanded Universe: Literature & Media

Page 1 of 2